Garcia v Haney PPVs ''very disappointing''

PBAC

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
No actual numbers just that it fell short of 1.5 million predicted but anything below 500k would be a bust.

Haney isn't even the name Tank was so I'm not exactly shocked. Personally I didn't know why people were so against Garcia's likeliness to win but I'm guessing they were
suckered in by the ruse. idk, I think personally it might land in the 800k range which is disappointing if the prediction was 1.5 million.

edit: wait ... Bob Arum?

Whatever your interpretation of them are, I think Ryan's antics actually drove down buyers.

It may have raised clicks and discussion, but in terms of people willing to lay down hard earned money for something- well they kind of want to be reassured it'll be what they want- eg a good fight.

Ryan's meltdown would have potentially caused quite a few serious fight fans to not want to fork out for a guy who gave every indication he had no place being in a title fight at that time. I'm sure it raised instagram and Gen z fans attention- but they stream and don't pay for fights.

Turned out to be a hugely entertaining fight and maybe Ryan was trolling or maybe not or maybe he thought he was selling the fight? But I actually think it drove serious buy numbers down more than anything.

I'll stream a freak show fight if I'm curious but I won't buy one. I'll only buy when it's a favourite fighter in a big fight or a great card and probably a lot of fans are the same.

Where on earth did you read that Ryan Garcia is the biggest name in boxing? Bigger than Canelo? Joshua? Fury? Abdul "Tank" Wahid?

He has the most pulling power, with the exception of maybe Canelo. Fury and Joshua don't have big PPV numbers. Since when is Davis a big PPV pull? His numbers were in the gutter before the Ryan fight.

Where on earth did you read that Ryan Garcia is the biggest name in boxing? Bigger than Canelo? Joshua? Fury? Abdul "Tank" Wahid?
as a dedicated boxing fan who likes to put on a good face for the best Canelo is making a joke of himself.

The biggest face in boxing is MMA and the biggest thing in MMA is a boxers fist and they know they want it

if we're talking about social media engagement, Garcia is up there. and thats what promoters think will sell tickets nowadays.

He has the most pulling power, with the exception of maybe Canelo. Fury and Joshua don't have big PPV numbers. Since when is Davis a big PPV pull? His numbers were in the gutter before the Ryan fight.
Huh...? Joshua has had 7 fights that have sold as many PPVs or more than Garcia's only PPV.

This was one of those cards where many were turned off by the pre fight hype but turned on by the actual fight.

Okay now Garcia is saying Oscar said they are very good. Bob talking shit maybe?

I mean ain't nobody wanna tune in to see Haney. There isn't anything remotely exciting about his style and aura. Garcia sells tickets whether you like him or not.

haney is a charisma vacuum, nobody likes him or wants to see him fight. it's not like floyd either where he talked so much people tuned in to see him get beat up, people just don't care about haney, plus he has a boring style. couple that ryan's antics, i'm not surprised...

Ryan is selling over a million whoever he fights next

Slow down… they still haven’t tallied the numbers in the Midwest and the coastal seaboard states.

Whatever your interpretation of them are, I think Ryan's antics actually drove down buyers.

It may have raised clicks and discussion, but in terms of people willing to lay down hard earned money for something- well they kind of want to be reassured it'll be what they want- eg a good fight.

Ryan's meltdown would have potentially caused quite a few serious fight fans to not want to fork out for a guy who gave every indication he had no place being in a title fight at that time. I'm sure it raised instagram and Gen z fans attention- but they stream and don't pay for fights.

Turned out to be a hugely entertaining fight and maybe Ryan was trolling or maybe not or maybe he thought he was selling the fight? But I actually think it drove serious buy numbers down more than anything.

I'll stream a freak show fight if I'm curious but I won't buy one. I'll only buy when it's a favourite fighter in a big fight or a great card and probably a lot of fans are the same.

Probably quite accurate tbh. I think Haney is overrated and Garcia underrated, so usually I would have given Garcia an excellent chance. But like many people, his pre fight meltdown led me to kind of write him off. It certainly didn't compel me to buy the PPV, more the opposite.

There's selling the fight, and there's appearing like an absolute loon who probably shouldn't be sanctioned to fight, won't give a great performance, and has a good chance of a McCall esque in-ring meltdown. It's a fine line, and Garcia ran past that line by a few miles :D

Kudos to Garcia though, he surprised me. If he had better IQ and focus and was less of a spurt fighter, he would have won by KO.

Back