Garry is like Wonderboy without the kicks

MigitAs

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I was randomly contemplating Geoff Neal’s fights against Wonderboy and Ian Garry, and I was struck by how similar Garry and Wonderboy’s styles are, they almost parallel each other, minus the kicks. It’s for this reason I don’t see Garry winning the belt. The 170 belt has historically been held by guys who know how to grapple, although Leon Edwards is kind of a well-rounded mma style. One more thing, by “know how to grapple” I don’t mean TDD, I mean the belt has predominantly been held by wrestlers. Word to your mother, Garry can be the new Colby if he plays his cards right imo.

So... The same but different?

87b2d738-7da2-4260-afc2-7ab97b1b32c7_text.gif

I was randomly contemplating Geoff Neal’s fights against Wonderboy and Ian Garry, and I was struck by how similar Garry and Wonderboy’s styles are, they almost parallel each other, minus the kicks. It’s for this reason I don’t see Garry winning the belt. The 170 belt has historically been held by guys who know how to grapple, although Leon Edwards is kind of a well-rounded mma style. One more thing, by “know how to grapple” I don’t mean TDD, I mean the belt has predominantly been held by wrestlers. Word to your mother, Garry can be the new Colby if he plays his cards right imo.
That, and a loyal spouse

ck5g7g55mig41.jpg

Or a bit like MVP without the clowing and flashy stuff. So basically he's a boring fighter who has no chance of getting the belt unless there are no competent wrestlers.

Gary isn’t fit to hold wonderboys jock strap.
Eh, he's 7-0 in the UFC and only 26. He legitimately might surpass Wonderboy depending on how he does now that he's only going to be fighting elite fighters.

Obviously Thompson's body of work is miles ahead Ian's, but I think we should wait and see how his career turns out before asserting that he's not certain guys' level.

I am not for sure that I get the Wonderboy without kicks. Are you trying to say Garry sucks and has nothing going for him? That seems harsh.

There is no reason to think that Garry can't grapple. He dominated legit black belt Jack Grant in his last pre-UFC fight, and that was before he was training at a real gym.

No, Wonderboy has better hands than Garry.

Wants none of MVP tho

Oh well, Wonderboy vs MVP is better anyways

I think Wboy is just a better striker, but his MMA resume isn't that good. He started well, but he is 4-6 in his last 10 fights. The Till fight was pretty much a draw, though. And I think Wboy can beat Pettis 9 out of 10.

Garry is 26 (15 years younger than Wboy) and undefeated. I don't see him as a champion, but I didn't see O'Malley as a champion.
He might have a better TDD defense than Wboy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obrad
Back