Getting back to Bjj after knee surgery

Deltafarce

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Blew out my acl about 7 months ago

Just had surgery about 2 weeks ago

I really want to train Bjj but I’m worried about hurting my knee again

I’ve heard once it happens it’s likely to happen again or on the other side ?

Any braces help? Just don’t want to go thru this again

Knee sleeves, ideally with a gel ring. It provides compression, reinforcement, and padding for the knees. I don't know why this isn't considered standard equipment for Jiu-Jitsu.

Knee sleeves, ideally with a gel ring. It provides compression, reinforcement, and padding for the knees. I don't know why this isn't considered standard equipment for Jiu-Jitsu.

Also make sure you get them for both knees. Building back from an injury, and then a few months later injuring the other side too because you were over-favoring it is the all time classic.

I had my ACL reconstructed 26 years ago and I am able to train BJJ. I do some sort of strengthening or stretching exercise just about every day. I stay far away from anyone who likes to heel hook or even knee bar. I wear a pretty bulky brace, but I'm so used to it now that it doesn't bother me.

I also don't run anymore for cardio. It's hell on my knee.

IMO people who have bad knees are always prone to reinjuring them or injuring the other side. Some injuries would rip anybody’s ACL, but more commonly a lot of people just have injury prone knees. So if you tore an ACL, I would make sure to switch to playing a game that doesn’t expose your knees to as much stress.

That’s good to hear.

I’m excited to get back on the mats but I don’t know if it would hurt or help. Was thinking about going real light and just trying to drill.

1) take enough time to rehab, pt, and recover
2) wear knee sleeves with good support
3)*communicate your injuries with your training partners*
4) adjust how you roll to accommodate your knee.

My coaches have blown out their knees multiple times and still go out to big comps and win. You can come back and have a good healthy bjj career of you handle the process right. Tap early to leg locks and be mindful wrestling until you're healed and comfortable

Last edited:
Hope your motivational story will be like mine bro

I tore my ACL about 7 months ago also. No surgery though. I spoke to a few surgeons, physio's and sports doctors - the consensus seems to be that re-injury is fairly common in the year or two following surgery and over time the likelihood of re-injury reduces.

i was told if i went with a knee recon, to get a lateral tenodesis at the same time to improve the rotational stability of the knee and reduce the likelihood of re-injury.

in my case the various medical professionals told me not to bother with a recon and get stuck into rehab as my knee was really stable. I got back to BJJ and some Judo, but wearing a sturdy brace... right up until I had hip surgery and i've been off the mat ever since.

I know quite a few people who've made a full come back from a knee recon but usually takes them about a year before they really feel confident with it. You should be fine, just take your time with it. Hope it works out for you.

Back