Gimmicks So Bad, That They Shouldn't Have Worked...But Did

Seriously? How could a 6'8 300lb jacked USA Hero beating up evil foreigners and promoting all American values with charisma oozing out of every spray tanned pore not work?
I get what he’s saying (maybe). The story I heard was that Vince Sr named him Hulk Hogan to be an Irish dude, and wanted Hogan to dye his hair red. That’s a pretty shit gimmick. Hulk stayed blonde, tweaked the thing, and got it over like rover. It’d a bit of a stretch for this thread, but I’d say it counts.

I get what he’s saying (maybe). The story I heard was that Vince Sr named him Hulk Hogan to be an Irish dude, and wanted Hogan to dye his hair red. That’s a pretty shit gimmick. Hulk stayed blonde, tweaked the thing, and got it over like rover. It’d a bit of a stretch for this thread, but I’d say it counts.

Irish Terry Hogan would have been shit yes...but we got The Hulkster and all was right with the world.

Bruther!

giphy.gif

Irish Terry Hogan would have been shit yes...but we got The Hulkster and all was right with the world.

Bruther!

giphy.gif
Could you imagine? The whole Hulkamania, rock n wrestling thing would never have happened. I saw Hogan vs Orndorff at a Superstars taping as a little kid (Dec 1986 I think it was) and the place went fucking BANANAS for Hogan. He was just so crazy over. Was insane.

Could you imagine? The whole Hulkamania, rock n wrestling thing would never have happened. I saw Hogan vs Orndorff at a Superstars taping as a little kid (Dec 1986 I think it was) and the place went fucking BANANAS for Hogan. He was just so crazy over. Was insane.

4RGC5o.gif

Has anybody located this individual in the last 10 years?
Jericho had him on his podcast, pretty fucked up story tbh. If you wanna meet him go and stand on a corner with a big ass bag off meth, he’ll find you.

Honestly, a guy coming to the ring with a snake could have been quickly forgotten if Robert's wasnt the amazing story teller and character he was. Most evil man in PW, and it possibly is one of the greatest overall gimmicks ever, in fact the snake in the bag was ultimately an afterthought after all the promos and underhanded way of thinking, the warped view that seemed oddly more in line with reality and survival of the fittest. Took the right guy to pull all of it off.

I look at a guy like Aleister Black today, and I know the promos are scripted, but if not for the awesome entrance and in ring work, a guy like Black looks like a pussycat with these weird promos and knock on my door shit. People can day what they want about Bray, and the Fiend costume is stupid, but he has done good work with the Firefly Funhouse bits and makes a guys who SHOULD be terrifying (Black) look like a pussycat primarily because the ability to cut a real and devoid of any sanity type of promo really makes the difference.

I never got how the evil and supernatural gimmicks got over, but Robert's was destined to be over as anyone in business, and if you saw all of them on the same show watching a wrestling program for first time in your life, no promos just entrance and matches, youd think guys like Taker and Black and Wyatt were fucking monsters and Robert's a guy with a snake for some reason.

In AEW 75% of roster is some evil, mentally depraved, or supernatural gimmick, kinda starting to look a little weird tbh, and now coincidentally you have Robert's introducing his client who is the dark side coming to AEW, and some exalted one who is gonna lead the dark order who lost all heat imo and honestly had huge spots as a tag team an now just play the dirty cheater roles to look more evil when they look like idiots.

I agree with Mankind, too. Should have been a short lived gimmick, went much further.

I never got the Dudleys, but enjoyed them none the less, the new age outlaws was terrible but they went far, RVD came off like a JCVD knockoff on drugs but look where he got... no idea why Goldberg was so over, but the guys they tried the same with weren't. Goldberg not even real, beat up by Jericho and manhandled by Regal who misunderstood a direction to make their match close affair...

Razor Ramon too, I mean... as far as I can tell his gimmick was thug/coke dealer/criminal, but for some reason competing professionally in tights for the prestige of being best. Another example of a dude who made it work and work well.

The current crop of wrestling talent around the globe is outstanding, the inring work is so evolved, but what lacks in wwe is the power of the promo, what lacks in aew is a little of that and a serious imbalance with the roster and the gimmicks, starting to look like a halloween party, and NJWP seeming like only place where anything is sacred, although AEW still young, just too many WCW like pitfalls imo.
Razor Ramon was all Scott Hall. Something about he told Vince he had an idea for a gimmick and walked in to Vince's office in full Razor Ramon mode and Vince absolutely loved it.

Eugene.
Booker becoming a king in 06.
The fact that they 100% ran with the King Booker gimmick made it that much better. It also allowed him to shine when he was on commentary way more often.

Razor Ramon was all Scott Hall. Something about he told Vince he had an idea for a gimmick and walked in to Vince's office in full Razor Ramon mode and Vince absolutely loved it.
It was based on Tony Montana. Vince had never seen Scarface and loved it anyhow.

Shows how great Scarface is.....even second hand impressions get mofuckas hype.

Al Snow and head.

alsnow1-2_display_image.jpg

WTF was this? I don't know but I loved the gimmick when I was a kid. It somehow got him over.

I remember he defended his hardcore title against himself once where he through himself through tables and hit himself with chairs.

Then he turned against Head and had a hardcore match against Head.

It's was quite the spectacle.

Edit.

Al snow wrestles himself

Al Snow vs Head.

I think the commentators really played a massive part in making it work.

"Head's lifeless!"
-
" HEAD'S ALWAYS BEEN LIFELESS, HE'S A MANNEQUIN HEAD!"

"HOW'S HE GOING TO BE ABLE TO PIN HEAD WHEN HEAD HAS NO SHOULDERS?!?"

Last edited:
When you realise how cheesy the Undertaker & Kane gimmicks were (especially Kane and his original costume) its amazing they've lasted as long as they have.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Broken Matt Hardy and Brother Nero.

WWE is lucky to have a dude like Glenn Jacobs who was down for the random gimmicks and ideas. I read a story that he was backstage for the royal rumble, Nash was set to come in as Diesel but was changing his mind so the crew had Jacobs on standby to go out as Diesel as a backup lol. He was badass as Kane even unmasked imo.

Dusty Rhodes. I always saw him as some fat out of shape scrub with a speech impediment when I was a kid.
LMAO. As a kid I was like "THAT guy is 'The American Dream?' WTF? The American dream is to be a fat sack of shit who dresses like Richard Simmons?"

In all seriousness, Vince McMahon has to be the champion here.

Power walk
tenor.gif

Kiss my ass club?

Who came up with this shit? Not only did he pull it off with a straight face, he somehow got people to buy into it.

Last edited:
Back