Go outside and look up

Here just north of Toronto its too overcast too see. But I have friends in southern New York who have sent some spectacular pictures, and the same in SW Ontario near Detroit. Its incredible.

Edit: If you're out trying to see them, apparently looking through your camera phone makes them significantly easier to see.

I didn't even know this was going on tonight until this thread. Live in WA so it was a little to bright to see anything when I first checked. Went out just now before bed and took some pretty cool shots. Honestly didn't expect to see anything. There have been a bunch of times over the years where they said you might be able to see an aurora borealis, but it's never been visible where I live. This was pretty incredible. I was blown away how fast it shifted and changed.

Attachments

• PXL_20240511_055804714.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240511_055804714.NIGHT.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240511_055619425.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240511_055619425.NIGHT.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240511_055156593.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20240511_055156593.NIGHT.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
I grew up in a small town in northern Alberta so I’m used to good Aurora showings, but tonight was really impressive. Actually saw red Aurora for a few minutes which I had only ever seen once before. What’s causing this, a solar storm or something?

I didn't even know this was going on tonight until this thread. Live in WA so it was a little to bright to see anything when I first checked. Went out just now before bed and took some pretty cool shots. Honestly didn't expect to see anything. There have been a bunch of times over the years where they said you might be able to see an aurora borealis, but it's never been visible where I live. This was pretty incredible. I was blown away how fast it shifted and changed.

Super cool.

I grew up in a small town in northern Alberta so I’m used to good Aurora showings, but tonight was really impressive. Actually saw red Aurora for a few minutes which I had only ever seen once before. What’s causing this, a solar storm or something?

Red means it's kind of strong. It's going down to lower parts of the atmosphere.

Back