Media Goggins in the Corner

SharpasaRazor

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score

Man it was just pretty funny watching Goggins in Tony's corner with just like no idea what to say to him when he's getting melted by a journeyman.

Honestly I would hope this helps to teach some people the BS in this stuff 'grindset culture' pedals to people that like getting up at 3.30am to train or taking cold showers is going to help you achieve the impossible. Being succesful in the long run is a confluence of so many different factors - one of which is knowing when to quit when the task is beyond you or you're risking more than you've got to gain.

As some guy once said 'Conceive, believe, achieve - shut the fuck up'

To be fair, at this point in Tony's career you can't tell him that much between the rounds to make him dial in or make technical adjustments. He keeps moving forward like a zombie. Cardio is not what it used to. His technique moved from Unorthodox to sloppy. Many more things. It's hard to motivate someone who's done at this point. His body is saying no.

In this case, it's even funnier because Tony already has great cardio and is a tough sob who doesn't quit. Thus, while this training may have helped him come back mentally, it certainly didn't add much for the actual fight. It would be quite hard, but with a decent gameplan and some sparring sessions, he would be much more well prepared and could even win that fight mostly on cardio and resilience.

Last edited:
To be fair goggins is a motivational coach, not a MMA coach. Dont know what Ferguson was thinking, but that seems to be a common thing with Tony Ferguson trraining strategies. Maybe he thought it was a mental thing and Goggins would help, but yeah he had no business inside the cage during the fight. That was cringe. Reminded me of Diego with his Fabia, or Mike Perry with his girlfriend in his corner. Sometimes fight IQ does not translate to actual IQ

I have no clue why Tony brought Goggins in to help him, probably cost him tons as well to get that guy. For what exactly? Goggins has no MMA background or knowledge, the only thing I could think of would be cardio and thats the last thing that needs to be fixed for Tony, his cardio is always great and its the least issue he has lol.

Mind you I don't know why I'm trying to look at this logically, we are dealing with Tony here, the guy has lost his marbles a long time ago. Tony needs saving from himself, there is no way he is gonna retire and call it a day, he thinks he is doing great and not even in his prime yet and fully expects to be UFC LW champ. Its just gonna go the way of Bigfoot Silva... we have seen this story so many times in MMA and boxing, it won't end well

Ferguson is slower and less resilient. He just aged and never game-planned. So that's quite difficult to adjust
He is just taking his money until his contract ends

Hey @SharpasaRazor. Great post. I've been reflecting on it as well. Sure put in the work. That doesn't mean grinding so hard every day that there's nothing left in the tank.

Gotta regulate and maintain proper rest, sleep and healing. Look at long term guys like Holyfield who pioneered aerobic workouts in boxing. Brady who did yoga & stretching. Lebron who maintains perspective and continues performing at a high level.

All due respect to Tony for his amazing fight career. Long term success is not about beating yourself up every day. It involves rest and recovery. Taking care of your physical and mental well being.

At this point it doesn't matter who is in Tony's corner, he's that washed he ain't winning another fight in the UFC.

I just hope he keeps this insane training with Goggins up and can transfer his madness into a new post fight endeavour. Tony with spare time is a danger to himself

Man it was just pretty funny watching Goggins in Tony's corner with just like no idea what to say to him when he's getting melted by a journeyman.

Honestly I would hope this helps to teach some people the BS in this stuff 'grindset culture' pedals to people that like getting up at 3.30am to train or taking cold showers is going to help you achieve the impossible. Being succesful in the long run is a confluence of so many different factors - one of which is knowing when to quit when the task is beyond you or you're risking more than you've got to gain.

Tony is literally the peak of mental toughness in the ufc to the point he seems nuts, he didn't need goggins to help with that in fact he should've toned it down since he's older and switched to another style where his experience can shine.

Somebody like cyril gane would need goggins more.

Yup, to say nothing of training in the discipline and accepting the material limits within which you operate.

well he's not a mma coach he's a motivator.. not sure what you were expecting ?

To be fair goggins is a motivational coach, not a MMA coach. Dont know what Ferguson was thinking, but that seems to be a common thing with Tony Ferguson trraining strategies. Maybe he thought it was a mental thing and Goggins would help, but yeah he had no business inside the cage during the fight. That was cringe. Reminded me of Diego with his Fabia, or Mike Perry with his girlfriend in his corner. Sometimes fight IQ does not translate to actual IQ

I disagree. Tony has been fighting for 15 years, 12 of those in the UFC; in a fight like that, there's not much you can really tell Tony (fight-wise) that he either doesn't already know or that he will listen to.
Listening to the press conference and interview leading up to the fight, Tony clearly has a great deal of respect for Goggins and holds him in such high regard.
Tony's coaches should have told Goggins what to say and let him in there for some in-between round motivation and pointers. Didn't look like he went in the actual cage until the third.

That said, Tony is done and has been 3-4 fights ago. There's not much that can be done to help him pull out a win right now.

Goggins did what he was supposed to

Hate all u want but he's got nothing to do with Tony's performance...

The real issue is Tony cant humble himself to have an actual coaching staff ..or team around him..its the old case of grizzly vet cant work with others to stay with the current times.. its his attitude that needs adjustment...all the tools are still there .. there just getting dull cuz he's not sharpening them ... its more of mentality issue then a mental one.. hes not lack motivation hes lacking humbleness to learn from his mistakes

Back