Elections Government Voter Registration Website Has Sketchy Results - If You Like Democracy It's Time for Voter ID

If the State issued ID doesnt count as proof of citizenship then that's stupid. Nevada has 2 types of ID's and one says "not a valid ID" on it, that's the one non-citizen residents get. If the State requires a separate "voter ID" that requires a fee, not recognizing their own State ID, and the voter ID doesnt function in all other aspects of identification, it's just a poll tax. Another way to disenfranchise voters from soecific demographics and nothing more.
It says right on the link I posted that a driver's license or state ID is accepted. Why would there be a "poll tax" for state and local elections, but not for federal elections?

If you have an Arizona drivers license or non-operating identification card issued after October 1, 1996, you will only need to list the license number on box 9 of the voter registration form.

No! Voting should be a baffling ordeal unless it’s being done in areas I’m comfortable with the people in.

If reactionary right wingers had it their way you'd have to bring your own #2 pencils and scantrons, and you'd only be able to submit your scantron between 1:18pm and 2:06pm on the 3rd Tuesday of the month, in the whitest/oldest district in the City.

Oh and they will just conveniently lose the scantrons to the black and Latino districts in the mail.

It says right on the link I posted that a driver's license or state ID is accepted. Why would there be a "poll tax" for state and local elections, but not for federal elections?

If you have an Arizona drivers license or non-operating identification card issued after October 1, 1996, you will only need to list the license number on box 9 of the voter registration form.
I'm just saying, most arguments for a "voter ID" are trying to establish a completely separate ID card. Something like this already exists as when I was a registered Pro Boxer, I was issued a Federal ID by the State Athletic Commission. Never saw one before that. As long as the State ID can be used, or a separate ID is free and there's no systemic discriminatory practices on who can have them, there should be no issues.

Yes, most advanced democracies already do this. And the ID's in some of them are swipe cards for the voting machines. You get your ID, swipe, it knows it's you, you vote. Easy peasy. You'd be surprised what Countries already use this, some arent even considered democracies.
It’s shocking we DONT use this. When we agree on something, it should be done.

If reactionary right wingers had it their way you'd have to bring your own #2 pencils and scantrons, and you'd only be able to submit your scantron between 1:18pm and 2:06pm on the 3rd Tuesday of the month, in the whitest/oldest district in the City.

Oh and they will just conveniently lose the scantrons to the black and Latino districts in the mail.
Are you telling me it’s too hard to pick up a number 2 pencil and show up in a pre-designated window which may or may not change last minute, during a workday in which you don’t get paid and may or may not face disciplinary action for missing work?

Are you telling me it’s too hard to pick up a number 2 pencil and show up in a pre-designated window which may or may not change last minute, during a workday in which you don’t get paid and may or may not face disciplinary action for missing work?

Voting is a privilege (definitely not a right) that should be difficult to do if you love Murica!!

It’s shocking we DONT use this. When we agree on something, it should be done.

The bad part is that it's not citizens that would stand in the way of this, its politicians that are drunk with retaining power. Whenever you see politicians overrule bills that call for this advancement, they hide behind the notion of "well that could be bad because ____"...but really what they're afraid of is losing. This is because society has a habit of voting in people who tell then what they want to hear, but when they start showing signs they want to rule and not represent, the people can be stirred against their political opponents (who might agree on an issue like this), to keep them in power despite that their actions are in self-preservation.

I think agreements like this are a lot easier than we think if we look at society pragmatically and not merely idealistically. I'd definitely be in favor of common sense election security measures that made voting practical and modern to encourage civic engagement. IMO only authoritarians would oppose that.

The bad part is that it's not citizens that would stand in the way of this, its politicians that are drunk with retaining power. Whenever you see politicians overrule bills that call for this advancement, they hide behind the notion of "well that could be bad because ____"...but really what they're afraid of is losing. This is because society has a habit of voting in people who tell then what they want to hear, but when they start showing signs they want to rule and not represent, the people can be stirred against their political opponents (who might agree on an issue like this), to keep them in power despite that their actions are in self-preservation.

I think agreements like this are a lot easier than we think if we look at society pragmatically and not merely idealistically. I'd definitely be in favor of common sense election security measures that made voting practical and modern to encourage civic engagement. IMO only authoritarians would oppose that.
I laid out my idea for elections in a thread last year but it mainly entailed:

- National Holiday
- US issued voter ID
- Blockchain based tallying for instant results
- 2 weeks of advanced voting access
- Hardship remote voting rights

We should limit “mail in voting” as much as possible and encourage easier access to the election centers as much as possible.

In the event an individual can’t make it, claim hardship and find alternative means of remote voting that is still tied to ID.

I'm just saying, most arguments for a "voter ID" are trying to establish a completely separate ID card. Something like this already exists as when I was a registered Pro Boxer, I was issued a Federal ID by the State Athletic Commission. Never saw one before that. As long as the State ID can be used, or a separate ID is free and there's no systemic discriminatory practices on who can have them, there should be no issues.
Nobody anywhere is arguing for a completely separate ID card to vote.

Of course there is an issue when they have much looser requirements for some elections than for others.

I laid out my idea for elections in a thread last year but it mainly entailed:

- National Holiday
- US issued voter ID
- Blockchain based tallying for instant results
- 2 weeks of advanced voting access
- Hardship remote voting rights

We should limit “mail in voting” as much as possible and encourage easier access to the election centers as much as possible.

In the event an individual can’t make it, claim hardship and find alternative means of remote voting that is still tied to ID.

The only disagreement I'd have is with the mail in voting limitation. But that's contingent upon electronic advancement (if your phone can recognize your fingerprint, a secure voting app should work fine) and expansion of voting center access. I dont think there should be such a harsh negative stigma on it because its been used pretty securely, just quietly, for a long time. Elderly immobile people, Hospital/Hispice patients who still have their faculties, Americans living abroad. I don't like taking away ways to vote, or discouraging them because of ab unproven negative stigma, however...if we can improve better means, no problem.

The only disagreement I'd have is with the mail in voting limitation. But that's contingent upon electronic advancement (if your phone can recognize your fingerprint, a secure voting app should work fine) and expansion of voting center access. I dont think there should be such a harsh negative stigma on it because its been used pretty securely, just quietly, for a long time. Elderly immobile people, Hospital/Hispice patients who still have their faculties, Americans living abroad. I don't like taking away ways to vote, or discouraging them because of ab unproven negative stigma, however...if we can improve better means, no problem.
I would say all of those examples would be ones that could claim hardship.

I just think, overall, it eliminates even the slightest suggestion of fraud. If you’re able bodied, there are multiple weeks you can go to the polls AND a voting holiday, you should be able to do it in person.

If you can’t, for reasons of illness, ambulation, out of country etc. remote voting is totally fine.

I would say all of those examples would be ones that could claim hardship.

I just think, overall, it eliminates even the slightest suggestion of fraud. If you’re able bodied, there are multiple weeks you can go to the polls AND a voting holiday, you should be able to do it in person.

If you can’t, for reasons of illness, ambulation, out of country etc. remote voting is totally fine.

Now here is the part where we put in the hard work, draft out a comprehensive pragmatic bi-psrtisan voter registration bill...and it gets killed in the House by MTG and friends Lolz

Can any of you chuds point to any new ID concept that's somehow better than my current federal ID?

You cunt's don't have any new tech or security measures that you want to enable. And it's not like the ID itself is what lets a vote get counted (it gets checked against the rolls, etc.).

Everyone sees this horseshit for what it is. Make bullshit claims about voter fraud. Demand a national ID. Refuse to fund said national ID and then make sure to roll it out in favorable districts.

If you guys were serious about voter ID and were not looking to just suppress the vote, you'd have pitched these solutions during the years you've been screeching about this. So until you fill in the blanks and answer some of these questions, the rest of us will just continue to consider you as they liars you always were.

I've voted by mail the last 3 elections. Any suggestions for hospital staff and other jobs that can't make it in the 12 hour window?

I'm also all for ID, if our wonderful government wants to provide it at no cost and make it easy for people from all walks of life to obtain.
That's the problem. We can't expect them blacks to be able to figure out how to get an id. Amirite?

Can any of you chuds point to any new ID concept that's somehow better than my current federal ID?

You cunt's don't have any new tech or security measures that you want to enable. And it's not like the ID itself is what lets a vote get counted (it gets checked against the rolls, etc.).

Everyone sees this horseshit for what it is. Make bullshit claims about voter fraud. Demand a national ID. Refuse to fund said national ID and then make sure to roll it out in favorable districts.

If you guys were serious about voter ID and were not looking to just suppress the vote, you'd have pitched these solutions during the years you've been screeching about this. So until you fill in the blanks and answer some of these questions, the rest of us will just continue to consider you as they liars you always were.
I mean, literally @Sinister and I are in unison with all of these proposals.

Guys don’t let Trump steal the election demand Voter ID
But Trump has already lost the election in November, and that's just so unfair...unless he wins, in which case forget it, it will have been fair. This goes for his legal issues too.

So my idea would be to just forget voter ID, if we all agree to roll with the notion that if "Trump wins it's fair and on the up and up, if Trump loses unprovable cheating occurred"...I think this is really the only way to satisfy 'conservatives' concerns in the upcoming elections.

Back