Gracie Jiujitsu? Legit or not?

Kind of agree on that last point. For self defense all you need is one take down, side control to mount and thats basically it. All that you should be able to do by blue belt. Anything else past that is overkill against an untrained opponent
Funny enough I would disagree with the idea that taking the mount is necessarily a good idea in a self defense situation. An untrained athletic person has way more escape options from the mount compared to many other positions.

Funny enough I would disagree with the idea that taking the mount is necessarily a good idea in a self defense situation. An untrained athletic person has way more escape options from the mount compared to many other positions.
What do you believe is better? Side control?

There are countless positions which would work better against an inexperienced opponent.

Hanging out in the leg weave pass position is safer than taking mount.

Thats a really interesting thought. Maybe I jist think that because for me getting out of being mounted is the hardest position to get out of

Thats a really interesting thought. Maybe I jist think that because for me getting out of being mounted is the hardest position to get out of
How hard it is to escape a position is a function of the person using the position.

But objectively, I would say you are in the minority. Escaping a good (or bad) player's mount is typically a lot easier than escaping a good player's side control.

How hard it is to escape a position is a function of the person using the position.

But objectively, I would say you are in the minority. Escaping a good (or bad) player's mount is typically a lot easier than escaping a good player's side control.
I have found much easier to control stronger and more athletic untrained people from mount than side control, but that's probably because my side control suck hard.
Do you have any good video tutorial on how to keep side control against bigger and athletic/explosive unskilled guys, keeping in mind that I'm 5'6 and 140 lbs?

Do you have any good video tutorial on how to keep side control against bigger and athletic/explosive unskilled guys, keeping in mind that I'm 5'6 and 140 lbs?
Depends on your existing level of understanding. But fundamentally, understanding how to trap the nearside arm is probably the most foundational side control idea:

but you cannot deliver GnP, also, getting mount and ranining punches should be just enough so your opponent gives the back... A control mount, unless theres a huge weight gap should be superior than side control, eventhough if side control is harder to escape.

but you cannot deliver GnP, also, getting mount and ranining punches should be just enough so your opponent gives the back... A control mount, unless theres a huge weight gap should be superior than side control, eventhough if side control is harder to escape.
You can't deliver GNP from side control? lol?

Pride rules buddy. Shaolin masterfully staples the arm with his left leg, then transitions the staple to the right leg so that he can deliver knees to the head with his left knee.

This is an extremely powerful GNP position.

You can't deliver GNP from side control? lol?

Pride rules buddy. Shaolin masterfully staples the arm with his left leg, then transitions the staple to the right leg so that he can deliver knees to the head with his left knee.

This is an extremely powerful GNP position.

you can but it doesn’t carry the power mount... where you can elbow punch headbutt... knees though are brutal from everywhwrw

I train at a Gracie affiliate that is very similar to what you mentioned. I would say that the course they offer is really good for what you are looking for. You learn basic fundamentals that are going to be applicable to BJJ and to fighting. You partner drill and have to go through all of the techniques I need that 4 times to be able to test and get your belt. Before that you can get to a point where you can go to RDD which is reflex developement. You basically situational roll to see if you can remember techniques and how to flow from one technique to the next. There is no full on rolling in combative, just RDD.

What the one poster said about the video provided by endlesscritic is true. That is very old material and none of what I have seen on Gracie university looks even remotely like that.

But if I was really worried about self defence at this point, it would make far more sense for me to learn how to box and (properly) wrestle.

Why do you say that? You don't think you could pull of a standing guillotine against a noob who never done grip fighting? I include strikers in that. Your body doesn't know the difference between standing and lying submissions. And people attacking you om the streets are most likely noobs

Why do you say that? You don't think you could pull of a standing guillotine against a noob who never done grip fighting? I include strikers in that. You don't need the ground game.
As it happens, I have never hit a standing guillotine in my life.

I don't know why this bothers me so much.

If you're a good blue belt in BJJ training BJJ for "self defence" is dumb.

I train BJJ because I love the art, it's a great workout, and I find the path to mastery to be deeply fulfilling. But if I was really worried about self defence at this point, it would make far more sense for me to learn how to box and (properly) wrestle.

By all means, there are massive self-defence gains you will make from being a fresh white belt up to blue belt. But once you attain a certain level of competence in BJJ, the marginal returns on self defence application are infinitesimal.

100% disagree. It's a whole different ball game dealing with strikes on the ground or standing up, than just doing sport bjj. I've done both and when punches were thrown into the mix it completely changed everything.

Have you tried it on a noob? I don't think he would know how to get out of it, even though it's very easy If you know what you are doing.
Interestingly, grabbing people in a standing guillotine choke is the most popular technique for pro-wrestlers to do in bar fights from what i've heard because it's the quickest and safest way to deal with untrained people.

Interestingly, grabbing people in a standing guillotine choke is the most popular technique for pro-wrestlers to do in bar fights from what i've heard because it's the quickest and safest way to deal with untrained people.

It’s amazing how vulnerable unskilled people are to the standing guillotine. It’s a cakewalk if you’re taller than the opponent. They either give you the neck or you can even do a snap down, either way, you’ll get it.

The technique you are looking for is knee on belly :)

It's powerful because you can see what's going on around you, stand up easily and still utterly destroy any untrained person underneath.

The technique you are looking for is knee on belly :)

It's powerful because you can see what's going on around you, stand up easily and still utterly destroy any untrained person underneath.
It's probably because I completely suck at knee on belly but I feel like it's too unstable to allow me to control a bigger, stronger and more athletic untrained person who is spazzing out.

Yeah it's legit. Not in a "once you train Gracie Jiu Jitsu you'll be unbeatable in a street fight" legit, but legit.

Back