Greatest mid-fight adjustment in MMA history?

First thought when I read the thread title was Stipe/Cormier.

Another one would be Poirier/Hooker. Dustin was losing on the feet and down 2 rounds when he switched to a grapple heavy attack and was able to gas Hooker out and get the win.

Trying to think of examples of this is actually making me realise how shit most MMA fighters are at adapting. These dudes will just keep trying to do the same shit for 5 rounds even if it isn't working at all.

it's actually worse, lots of dudes will consciously STOP doing something that is working. think of how many MMA fights you watched where one guy rocks the other dude and immediately clinches him against the fence or shoots a takedown.

tumblr_ob7g90MNnN1v9aih6o1_400.gif

Solid adjustment imo
It's thirsty. Give it some water.

Which fighter do you think made the best adjustments to overcome adversity in the cage?, in my opinion...

The problem with this is that DC had an EXTENSIVE history of weakness to body shots, that had been known for years before the Stipe fight. Jones even called him out on it.

So I have a hard time with crediting Stipe here seeing as he should've been doing it all along. And in the first fight. It took two fights before he realized it? That's pretty dumb actually.

Also he KO'd him with punches to the head, not a bodyshot so it's kinda overblown. They slowed DC down and opened him up to the shot that hurt him sure, but Stipe also could've landed that regardless and DC slows down in champion rounds anyways.

Condit/Rory 1.

Rory was undefeated and seen as GSP's next successor. They're even fighting in Vancouver so he's got the home field advantage. Sure enough he's controlling and beating Condit and it's looking like another passing of the torch.

Down 2 rounds and needing a finish, Greg gives Condit an all time classic in between rounds instead of actual corner advice:

"It's about war brother, it's about war! Do you understand me? You bounce, you move, and you punish this kid! This is 5 minutes of war!"

Condit says fuck it and comes out guns blazing in the 3rd and beats the living fuck out of Rory and finishes him with seconds left.

I liked when khabib changed up beating McGregor on the ground to beating him up on the feet.

Dillashaw vs. Garbrandt comes to mind. After round 1, Ludwig tells Dillashaw to stop setting up his kicks because Garbrandt clearly recognizes the set up. Dillashaw drops Garbrandt with a naked head kick not long after and finishes him shortly after that.

I liked when khabib changed up beating McGregor on the ground to beating him up on the feet.
Khabib was as surprised as anybody landing that KD. That's why he does the backstep little chicken dance when it happens which gives Conor time to get back to his feet and counter Khabib's bullrush with a flush flying knee.

giphy.gif

You guys always conveniently cut off the sequence cause like the rest of the fight Conor won the standup. Which isn't a knock against Khabib, but for some reason you think it is.

Tim Boetsch vs Yushin Okami

It's crazy that Boetsch went for it like that. How often are guys down on the cards and their coaches say "you need a finish" and they come out and do jackshit or maybe pick up the pace a slight bit.

Boetsch went out and threw everything he had left, stunned and finished Okami. That was like movie level action.

It's crazy that Boetsch went for it like that. How often are guys down on the cards and their coaches say "you need a finish" and they come out and do jackshit or maybe pick up the pace a slight bit.

Boetsch went out and threw everything he had left, stunned and finished Okami. That was like movie level action.
I was afraid he'd do the same to Hendo.

Which made it all the more wild when Hendo manhandled and melted him in seconds instead.

Trying to think of examples of this is actually making me realise how shit most MMA fighters are at adapting. These dudes will just keep trying to do the same shit for 5 rounds even if it isn't working at all.
Maybe for some fighters it's a blend of things. Listening to a bad coach, being coached one or 2 striking combos, 1 or 2 subs but that's it. I think many of them, even the top tier guys, have low fight iq. But athleticism and tainted super fruits are also helpful.

Condit/Rory 1.

Rory was undefeated and seen as GSP's next successor. They're even fighting in Vancouver so he's got the home field advantage. Sure enough he's controlling and beating Condit and it's looking like another passing of the torch.

Down 2 rounds and needing a finish, Greg gives Condit an all time classic in between rounds instead of actual corner advice:

"It's about war brother, it's about war! Do you understand me? You bounce, you move, and you punish this kid! This is 5 minutes of war!"

Condit says fuck it and comes out guns blazing in the 3rd and beats the living fuck out of Rory and finishes him with seconds left.

Great comment. Man this era of the WW division was my favourite. So much talent, so many amazing fights.

Maybe for some fighters it's a blend of things. Listening to a bad coach, being coached one or 2 striking combos, 1 or 2 subs but that's it. I think many of them, even the top tier guys, have low fight iq. But athleticism and tainted super fruits are also helpful.

Whenever I've rolled with pros though they're usually excellent grapplers who are good everywhere. Just seems they can't do it when the stakes are high or it's probably difficult to do it to guys of a similar standard or something.

Great comment. Man this era of the WW division was my favourite. So much talent, so many amazing fights.
It's always forgotten about when people talk about Golden Ages of MMA, but man that WW era truly was. There was ALWAYS some great fight being made.

It's only in recent years that the division's been kinda forgotten about.

DC vs Stipe was like a video game where you're fighting an invincible boss and then you finally find their one weak point and spam the shit out of it. It was awesome.

Dillashaw garbrandt 1 = tj is nearly knocked out to end round 1, gets good coaching, finishes Cody in rd 2

Ngannou vs gane = Ngannou loses first 2 rounds, then pulls out secret weapon wrestling to beat Cyril next 3 rounds

Frank shamrock vs Ortiz = frank losing the whole fight, then catches Tito late in the fight taking advantage of fatigue

Pereira vs adesanya 1 = Alex was being blocked by Izzy’s arm shield, stopping his hooks, and finally in round 5 he backs him up and punches straight through, including a nice uppercut, to get round 5 finish

Back