Greatest mid-fight adjustment in MMA history?

Nate went from losing a round 10-7 to arguably winning the fight

i7Vyqb.gif
Watched it again. Conor was for sure in it, the W could have went either way.

This fight was among the best of their last performances - for both Nate & Conor.

Hespect to both for their (former) great MMA fights and accomplishments.​

Mighty Mouse vs Dodson 1. Dodson easily took the 1st 2 rounds dropping and hurting MM multiple times. Somehow Mighty Mouse completely adjusts his gameplan and begins to use an effective clinch game we hadn't seen much of before and takes the next 3 rounds clearly.

Reactions: Ruv
How about here very recently with Jiri trying to be patient and measured against Rakic before realizing that this shit just isn't working, it's time to go balls to the wall berserker style.
Yep, his leg was getting picked apart yet again. Best way to turn off the leg kicks is to get them moving backwards/retreating. Hard to throw kicks taking back steps. He tried to do the same against Alex's leg kicks, just unfortunate for him alex has that wicked left hook that works perfectly fine on the backfoot.

In hind-sight

Bones deserves credit for pulling his britches up and defeating Gus in the last couple rounds where it counted the most

I’d say Stipe but wtf was Daniel doing not adjusting to the several body blows and no matter what would NOT defend them nor try something different?

Which fighter do you think made the best adjustments to overcome adversity in the cage?, in my opinion...

The only reason I won't pick this one is because Cormier has a lot of body fat, so shovel hooks must have been insanely painful for him to have to eat. Anderson hurt him to the body with the switch kick, Jones hurt him to the body badly with the hand fight - switch stance knee, Stipe hurt him with like 6 or 7 shovel hooks in a row. If Anderson was in his prime, Cormier may have been fucked lol. Who knows, though?

My pick was Cejudo vs Moraes. At least of the modern era. Jones made adjustments against many opponents, GSP, Hughes. Too many to list.

Diego Sanchez just deciding to go crazy after losing most of the fight.

Diego Sanchez takes Paulo Thiago for a ride [GIF] : r/MMA

Yep, his leg was getting picked apart yet again. Best way to turn off the leg kicks is to get them moving backwards/retreating. Hard to throw kicks taking back steps. He tried to do the same against Alex's leg kicks, just unfortunate for him alex has that wicked left hook that works perfectly fine on the backfoot.
I think he was trying to evolve a safer style that will age better but it just doesn't seem to work for him. He is at his best when he's acting as a high priest of the JBG.

Nate went from losing a round 10-7 to arguably winning the fight

i7Vyqb.gif
Did Nate make any adjustments though? I think it was just Conor losing steam just like he did in the 1st. Nate was just being his regular durable self and waited for Conor to slow down before he got going.

Ankalaev using his wrestling in the last 2 rounds against Jan is a recent example

Trying to think of examples of this is actually making me realise how shit most MMA fighters are at adapting. These dudes will just keep trying to do the same shit for 5 rounds even if it isn't working at all.
It's so frustrating to watch. I mean, guys knowing they're down and just keep doing the same thing.

Khabib was as surprised as anybody landing that KD. That's why he does the backstep little chicken dance when it happens which gives Conor time to get back to his feet and counter Khabib's bullrush with a flush flying knee.

giphy.gif

You guys always conveniently cut off the sequence cause like the rest of the fight Conor won the standup. Which isn't a knock against Khabib, but for some reason you think it is.
That Ido Portal trainings helped Conor here to not get flat on his back. This was impressive balance a d coordination here honestly.
Now he is just a bag of sand.

Okay but it's still insane to claim Khabib won the standup in a fight he lost the standup in apart from 1 surprising KD that surprised him just as much as anybody. You can literally see he throws it and was already backing off because he was expecting to get countered. Then actually does get countered when he overzealously rushed in thinking Conor was more hurt than he was cause yeah, Conor's still the better striker. Which is why Khabib eventually shoots and why the 2nd round was spent on the ground. It was his TD, not KD, that led to Khabib winning it 10-8.

You might as well make the equally stupid statement like saying Conor won the grappling because he equally did surprising stuff like defending passes, subs, and escaping out from underneath Khabib, including full mount, multiple times. People were pretty equally shocked that Conor did so well defensively against Khabib on the ground.

Just because they each did surprisingly well in certain moments in each other's domain doesn't change that Conor's the better striker and Khabib's the better grappler. We knew that before the fight, and we knew it afterwards. Turns out Khabib just had the stronger grappling to actually win. It is what it is.

What's dumb is taking 5 rounds and 2 fights to notice that DC has a weakness to body shots.

Even though that had already been shown in the Mir, Silva, and Jones fights, with DC himself even admitting to leaving his head open in order to prioritize protecting his body.

No one's saying it wasn't an effective mid-fight adjustment. It just should've never had to been one in the first place.

Your McGregor shill fiction is completely embarrassing.

However, you are absolutely right about all how silly it is for these mongs to be fluffing Stipe for finally going hard to the body of a fat, elderly man that everybody knew couldn't handle body shots.

Fighters shouldn't get massive credit for finally doing something it is patently obvious would have always been a good idea. 'Oh wow, great adjustment there to decide to take down Paul Daley! How did he know?'

Everybody in here should be ashamed that this is the guy who had to point this out to them.

Back