Greg Hardy is the "A level" athlete that was supposed to outclass the entire ufc roster?

I believe he threw that illegal knee ouf of desperation. He was going to lose to a nobody.
Hes a beginner at mma.
I thought it was stupid for a woman beater to walk out mean muggin like some badass then get dq'd for cheating againt a scrub your supposed to showcase on.
What a buffoon.

NFL guys are not A level athletes

Well for 15 seconds they are then they need a 5 minutes break
This is dumb. They don't "need" a 5 minute break. This is simply the nature of the sport.

Furthermore, who ever said that every single athlete in the NFL is A-level? That person is an idiot.

This is dumb. They don't "need" a 5 minute break. This is simply the nature of the sport.

Furthermore, who ever said that every single athlete in the NFL is A-level? That person is an idiot.
What is this a school for ants?!

Mma fans are so fuckin puzzling. I wonder if all the fans at the Australian open are longing to be watching a-level athletes while they are left watching c-level guys who rose to the top of the group of people who spent the most money and time on tennis lessons since they were toddlers.

In one year he was able to become a potential prospect for the UFC, despite having no previous martial arts training.
If that doesn't show his athleticism, I'm not sure what does

Hardy was great last night. With only 3 mma fights under his belt he’s already the co-main event on a ufc card. It’s obvious that he didn’t understand the rules too well. He’ll be fine and be a contender for the hw belt in no time.

Yes the truly educated want to discount technique, years of training, also the proper fighting mentality. All it comes down to is being supposedly an A level athlete. Highly educated opinions on that one.

Hardy was great last night. With only 3 mma fights under his belt he’s already the co-main event on a ufc card. It’s obvious that he didn’t understand the rules too well. He’ll be fine and be a contender for the hw belt in no time.

Him being the co main had absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with his ability in the cage. Zero.

Him being the co main had absolutely nothing to do whatsoever with his ability in the cage. Zero.
Sure it did. ufc wants to enter the a level talent market. It’s the same reason the OKC thunder were sitting front row. Ufc knows their a d level organization if they don’t get top talent.

For years on here, I've had to read about how the UFC is sub-par athletes compared to the NFL and other traditional sports, but I'm not impressed. Can someone explain? Does Greg Hardly not count as an A level athlete or something?

I've said it before and I'll say it again and again, just cause you're a good athlete doesn't mean your gonna be a good fighter. Getting punched, kicked and twisted around isn't for most people. Just cause LeBron can jump high and move like a ww at his size, doesn't mean he won't fold like a napkin if he took a flush shot, maybe even a stiff jab to the face. We have already seen ex NFL players get beatdown in MMA so it really doesn't equate imo.

Scholarships are to do with what sports are popular and make the college money, they’re not even about the fucking athletes, or even the sports, haha

What??
Among yhe pool for the most athletic scholarships are football and basketball im the US.

Over 40% of d1 football players wrestled in HS

You have zero idea what you are talking about

Are you seriously pretending like Fedor is not hugely washed up and past it?

What a dumb comparison.

Mitrione hardly has a legit top 10 win, and this is during an extremely weak HW era.

I dont think you are understanding.

Mitrione started mma in his 30s and beat the shit out of a career pro fighter (multiple).

Whether fedor was ever any good or not. The fact that at 30 mitrione could take up a sport and be ranked top 10 and destroy life long practitioners is a testament to his athletic pedigree

(this might have been said)
Hardy is a very athletic guy that used to play an A level sport
but his skill set isnt A level.
Id say a line backer, running back, wide receiver, tight end are the A level athletes (that play football) can could transition into other sports.
he will be a good fighter but I personally dont think hell be running though the HW division like people though.

his 'career as an athlete' lasted all of 3 years and was dominated by injuries. and he started training mma in his mid to late 20s, that's not some over the hill burnout trying to start something too late. and it's pretty damn silly to keep bringing up fedor, who was so shot at that point he should have retired years earlier. that was tito beating ken, the win means just about nothing.

so you're not mentioning hardy at all - are you saying that hardy is in a better spot than mitrione was (i.e. a little younger or closer to his prime)? and if hardy doesn't do any better than mitrione, does that change anything?

spoiler: hardy ain't goin nowhere either.

He was ranked top 10 and knocked the shit of Fedor.

The fact that at 30 he could enter a sport after retirement and beat the shit out of life long practioners is simply a testament to his superior athleticism, even as an nfl washout

Lol backtracking... he was a ELITE NFL player ... if that's not considering "a level" nothing is ...

Just shows that this A level rubbish has always been a myth ... MMA is not baseball, basketball or football

Right...

Heyman_Brock_title__574640a.jpg

lesnar-mir-1484860945-800.jpg

brock_20lesnar_20-_20003.jpg

matt-mitrione.jpg

usa_today_10130125.1498363682.jpg

Stipe-story.jpg

ufc198907202879362.jpg

63d095f0-1a57-11e6-add3-7bd014d586d4_STIPE-BELT.jpg

Superior athletes will always have more potential and a higher ceiling. Once they close the skill/technique gap (which can be taught), then athleticism/size/strength (which cannot be taught) take over.

MMA is the only sport where athletes crossover with a couple years training and become champions or beat the GOATs of the sport.

The whole myth that NFL and NBA players are the cream of the crop as far as athletic ability is concerned has always been and always will be a joke.

There are people out there who are gym warriors that would piece Lebron up even if he had the same amount of training Hardy did. Simply being a large (black) guy with some explosiveness isn't going to be enough to take down the top fighters in the world, who are ALSO ELITE ATHLETES WITH LIKELY BETTER CARDIO AND DURABILITY.

I think Francis would have knocked Greg Hardy flat the fuck out on his face tbh.

No doubt that that a top 10 fighter woulda knocked Hardy out quickly.

But i'm still impressed with him as he has only been training for two years.

Also, the NBA doesn't really have the most athletic guys, correct. But the NFL does...at least on defense, most guys are drafted based heavily on their speed, size, and strength.

he did almost nothing at HW and his game was ridiculously one-dimensional. and don't mention the fact that fedor was washed up beyond belief when he beat him.

if A-level athletes were so superior, then he would have dominated for years as a beltholder. hardy is going to look exactly the same.

this A-level shit is just silly. obviously the raw talent helps, but the training is what matters. put the 2 together and you get GSP.

Tremendous post

GSP had the genetics for the Canadian Olympic wrestling team but far more importantly the bizarre, almost psychotic need to be the best in the world at what he does. What he wanted to do was KO fools and choke them out. Dude worked three jobs to support himself and swore he'd never be that poor again. Well, mission accomplished in both cases.

He's been training MMA for what 1-2 years? No wrestling background. He's undefeated. Cut him some lack, even if he doesn't deserve it.

Actually he said in 2016 he'd been training for a few months. So we're going on three years of MMA training at this point, nothing close to this "6 mo training" garbage that the know-nothing, never-trained-a-day cans keep spouting. And he still didn't look amazing.

As much as I hate to admit it the closest person to get that "A+ athlete picks up MMA easily" trope is BJ Penn and it took him an astonishing three years to get a black belt from Andre fucking Pedernieras.

Back