Media GSP blames UFC for not making Anderson Superfight

It was very weird. UFC knew it would sell so they pushed it hard enough even to get GSP doing commentary for Silva's fight. Anderson was the bigger guy and seemed to fight anyone 185 or below. GSP had the style advantage over Silva, it's easier for a wrestler to move up to fight a striker than the other way. No clue how this fight got away from us.

You simply had to have been around as a fan at that time to know how it really went down. I've always liked GSP, but he is so full of shit here. Claiming he wanted a catchweight at 178 only to fight at 185 when Anderson was gone is also telling.

I was around then. I distinctly remember GSP suggesting a catchweight and saying that since Silva used to fight at 170, maybe Dana could work his magic (or something along those lines) and get Anderson to come down in weight a bit.

He also specifically said at the time that if he was ever going to make such a significant jump up in weight (15 lbs) he'd have to do it properly over a long period of time. I remember him citing Roy Jones Jr as an example of the deleterious effects that jumping up and down in weight all willy-nilly can have. So him taking 4 years off before going to MW is actually completely consistent with his stance on going to 185 when Anderson was champ.

GSP rocks.... he knew anderson was juicing. Makes sense to protect his interests, he truly is the only GOAT to go out on top.

Same as I say every time this comes up, they weren't going to give him any extra money to take the fight. That's why he wasn't interested. But of course gsp haters will somehow twist that into "ducking" Oh but Anderson didn't want to fight Shogun or Jones or any actual elite lhws. But you guys don't call THAT ducking.

On one side I'm like fuck the UFC because the only we didn't have that fight is because they didn't pull the trigger. For fuck sake they really had to play it conservative on that one ?

On the other side, business is booming you got two divisions carried by two guys, who both had or were on their way to GOAT resume. Do you really wanna take the risk of having one of them look like a chump ? Do you really wanna see GSP get matrixed by Silva if you need both of them ?

Let’s not forget Jones not interested in a Silva fight while you’re at it

<36><36>

That's not how it works, son. Jones ain't gonna look like a pu$$y and challenge DOWN to the next lower weight class, lmao. It's Silva's job to challenge UP to then next higher weight class. He would've taken the fight though, and ended Silva's career if it happened.

Jon Jones not ‘afraid’ of Anderson Silva, but won’t talk super fight unless ‘challenged’

https://bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/11/ufc-jon-jones-anderson-silva-not-afraid-challenged-mma-news/

GSP is an all-time great fighter, no doubt. But I really don't think he wanted that Anderson smoke even though I always thought that he matched up very well against him stylistically. It's not like GSP ever loudly called for that fight and tried to put any public pressure on the UFC by publicly stating his terms. I think the fight would've gotten made on the tail end of their careers if they both wanted it. GSP. wanted that double champ status and he jumped back on as soon as he saw the right match up happen when Bisping unexpectedly won the belt. Then he jumped right back out. Which is fine. Hell, I don't blame him. But let's not act like it's something that it's not.

This was 100% GSP’s fault, I believe the UFC wanted it at 185, catchweight which is what GSP wanted would’ve been largely pointless. You have to remember, back when this fight was going to be put on UFC belts had ALOT more prestige than today.

Take a bit of a deeper look into it, and you see it’s pretty much always a move up situation

Jones
Volk
Penn
Adesanya
Mcgregor

literally none of these guys moved down for there “champ champ” fights, GSP wanted favourable accommodation is all.

It was very weird. UFC knew it would sell so they pushed it hard enough even to get GSP doing commentary for Silva's fight. Anderson was the bigger guy and seemed to fight anyone 185 or below. GSP had the style advantage over Silva, it's easier for a wrestler to move up to fight a striker than the other way. No clue how this fight got away from us.

I kind of suspect though they liked the "idea" of the fight more than the fight itself, GSP and Silva as two rival P4P kings with constant argument over who was better and the potential for a match helped the hype of both guys.

If the fight actually happens though one guy loses and gets his hype damaged, the figtht would be big but for a few years GSP and Silva regular ttile defences were garneted draws year after year.

GSP/BJ 2 happened as champ vs champ but it seems like BJ pushed really hard to make that happen making it a condition of his new contract plus he was never as big a draw.

I'm thinking the percentage of posts in this thread which are from people who actually watched the video is quite low

It was going to happen. After the Silva Maia fight they called it off. They had George cageside.

Love gsp but the man fought bisping at 185. Why 178 for anderson?

<36><36>

That's not how it works, son. Jones ain't gonna look like a pu$$y and challenge DOWN to the next lower weight class, lmao. It's Silva's job to challenge UP to then next higher weight class. He would've taken the fight though, and ended Silva's career if it happened.

Jon Jones not ‘afraid’ of Anderson Silva, but won’t talk super fight unless ‘challenged’

https://bloodyelbow.com/2012/12/11/ufc-jon-jones-anderson-silva-not-afraid-challenged-mma-news/
I can show you Jones stating he viewed Silva as a friend and someone he looks up to and doesn’t want the fight but I suppose it doesn’t fit your narrative so it wont matter

GOAT-SP would've 50-45'd Andy clear as day.

I can show you Jones stating he viewed Silva as a friend and someone he looks up to and doesn’t want the fight but I suppose it doesn’t fit your narrative so it wont matter

You can change the subject all you want. The bottom line is GSP said he tried to challenge Silva at 178lbs, WHEREAS Silva refused to call out the champ at the next higher weight class AT ALL. It doesn't matter what Jones said in this scenario.

Back