Hand size, does it matter?

I never said it was, so im not sure what you're talking about.
I said the way he threw his punches plus his power.
Palm down hooks and palm out overhands are "the way he threw his punches". The other person I quoted in that post outright said that Fedor had bad punching technique.

Don’t think hand size correlates to punching power though.
Technically it can since the equation of force is mass of an object * acceleration.

But realistically the difference between a large and small hand for a male is almost nothing in relation to the mass and torque of the rest of your body that you're using to throw a punch.

25080372.jpg

It does.

Chicks with small hands are good for the ego.

I do remember this talk about his glove/hand size, then recently someone posted a photo of him doing fist bump with Carwin and Carwin's hand was massive compared to Lesnar.
HGH

Size and density are not the same thing, buds... And I also think that thickness is probably more important than regular hand size, as far as breaking your hands goes.

I do remember this talk about his glove/hand size, then recently someone posted a photo of him doing fist bump with Carwin and Carwin's hand was massive compared to Lesnar.
I'm pretty sure Carwin was also supposedly given custom gloves. I could swear I remember them saying Carwin had the biggest gloves in the UFC

Hand size typically is a great clue as to bone size, since there isn't much muscle or fat on the hands.

A guy with thick, heavy hands, probably has a thick, heavy skeleton--and hence is likely much stronger and more durable. This is why so many big puncher have huge hands, the hands don't make them hit harder, but their heavy skeleton under everything does.

Sure it may have a correlation, but for instance men typically have denser bones than women, even at equal size.

Big hands indicate bone density. Strong bones, a heavy frame. Can correlate with punching power and how much the fighter weighs naturally, when lean. Small hands can be brittle, break easier.

Fedor has brittle hands, but he hits very hard, so he's a bit odd in that sense. Has explosiveness, natural speed, and puts his whole body into shots, even if his hand size would tell you he's probably not the hardest puncher.

Basically with these things there are indicators, but not rules.

Probably does. In long distance running, the size (and mass) of feet is crucial.

Uriah faber fought 3 rounds with a broken hand in Wec…he started throwing elbow combinations

Power is [(Force x Distance) / Time]

In layman's terms its doing a movement very fast with a lot of strength combined.

Some people have strength but lack speed. Some are the other way around. Knockout artistis have both. Some are pretty obvious by their movements like Tyson, others are more deceiving and needs a trained eye to see what they are doing, like Fedor. But they both have immense power.

Having a bigger hand and a good bone structure certainly doesn't hurt but that's not what generates power. Your power is determinated by how fast you can recruit motor units. So it's basically how efficient your nervous system is. That's genetic. Training can have a slightly effect but not much.

Palm down hooks and palm out overhands are "the way he threw his punches". The other person I quoted in that post outright said that Fedor had bad punching technique.

Yeah I was saying the combination of that and his power.
That other guy that said that is obviously high sir.

Some people have strength but lack speed. Some are the other way around.

At equal weight if you move faster, it's because you are more powerful.

If you have 2 cars weighing the same weight, the one going faster would be the most powerful one.

If you have speed but no strength, it's because you're light.

If you have strength but no speed, it's because you're heavy.

Anyway, here's how you calculate the punching power :

1280-kinetic-energy.png

Even Carwin didn't have custom gloves. Just the regular XXL or whatever the biggest was.

There are multiple factors, hand size would be one factor. Big heavy hands hurt more all things equal. Other factors are important too, technique, strong shoulders, arms, forearms, strong bones, strong mobile joints to name a few.

Back