Harley Race: April 11, 1943 - August 1, 2019

Thai Domi

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Harley Race was an absolute legend.

https://www.espn.com/wwe/story/_/id/27303758/professional-wrestler-harley-race-dies-76

harleyrace.jpg

Race was the foundation that Flair built upon.

RIP to one of the GOATs.

R.I.P. Harley Race, a legend in professional wrestling

Harley Race was one of the greatest NWA World Heavyweight Champions!

He started in the carnivals, taking on all comers. He certainly could handle himself in a real fight!

He had a car accident and nearly lost a leg.

He ended Dory Funk, Jr's 4 year NWA World title reign, but he was a transitional champ at that time, losing the belt to Jack Brisco. Harley then beat Terry Funk for the NWA strap with the Indian Deathlock.

Ask any wrestler about Harley, and all will say how great and giving a person that he was.

Harley Race, may you rest in peace. Prayers for your family and friends.

Rest in Peace Harley Race.

Before my time in the scene a little, but his name was always known. He likely was a bad dude.

Most chosen by promoters to be champion in the NWA. That says a lot about Race's ability to carry the torch for the Alliance. Ric Flair gets credited with more championships, but that was after the NWA territories were folding left and right; at which point Flair was essentially a champion of one promotion rather than many.

Glad I had a chance to see Race wrestle live in the 80's at a house show. I really appreciated him more as an adult than as a kid. If you take the time to watch some of his matches you'll see very little wasted movement.

There was a video recently about Harley Race challenging world champion strongman Bill Kazmaier to a "test of strength" in an airport. I don't know what time period this was (70's, 80's or 90's) but apparently Race had Kazmaier on the ground. No idea who witnessed it but I'd love to hear an extended version of the story.

RIP Harley Race

RIP Harley Race, a true legend of Professional Wrestling.

One of the absolute best. First time I saw him as a kid was as King Harley Race in the WWF, even then, past his prime, he was still all kinds of awesome. Later on I got to see a lot of his seventies work, he defined an era. If we're talking Mount Rushmore of rasslin', his face is on there.

Harley Race was one of the greatest NWA World Heavyweight Champions!

He started in the carnivals, taking on all comers. He certainly could handle himself in a real fight!

He had a car accident and nearly lost a leg.

He ended Dory Funk, Jr's 4 year NWA World title reign, but he was a transitional champ at that time, losing the belt to Jack Brisco. Harley then beat Terry Funk for the NWA strap with the Indian Deathlock.

Ask any wrestler about Harley, and all will say how great and giving a person that he was.

Harley Race, may you rest in peace. Prayers for your family and friends.
This. Harley was a man's man and all you stated were true.

Another thing is before Dusty and Flair, all NWA champions had to be tough or be able to shoot, rip, or hook. During Flair's first tour in Japan, the NWA knew Flair would get tested as it was common place there so the NWA sent Harley with Flair to Japan just to make sure they knew not to test Flair or they would have to deal with Harley. Sounds hokey and kayfabish but it was all true.

RIP Harley, you really were the man and the respect shown to you BY ALL shows you will always be the man.

RIP Harley Race- the only man to get a straight edge CM Punk to drink alcohol.

Respect.

More talent in that man than all of the WWE roster in 2019 minus Brock.

RIP. Did it all right.

God bless Harley and the days when rasslers at the top could beat the shit out of fans at something besides X-box. RIP Mr Race.

Harley was one guy I always truly feared and respected. One look and you could tell he was one tough bastard.

Back