Has a short notice replacement ever won a BIG fight aside from Nate Diaz?

SpedDaddyV

GOAT
@Black
Reaction score
Nate Diaz is the only one that really comes to mind, but a lot of that was due to the fact that McGregor moved up 2 divisions for the fight from where he was at

Has a short notice replacement ever won a big fight? Does this spell doom and gloom for Volk and Usman?

Bisping obviously.. that was a huge one

Gaethje against Tony was a good one.. it was supposed to be Tony vs Khabib AGAIN for like the 555926410th time and Khabib pulled out, and Gaethje came in and beat the snot out of Tony

I still remember UFC 3 and Steve Jennum, that was a crazy one!!. That really was short notice! by the actual meaning of the world lol, I believe it was 12-15 minutes before the final he was told. Then he had to get dressed, find gloves, just used his grey house shorts and went on to put a police beatdown on Howard, cuff takedown and all

Last edited:
Bisping winning the title is probably the best story ever when it comes to a replacement fighter coming in short notice and making it. Ortega knocked out Edgar as a replacement for Max, if I recall correctly.

With One eye:
tumblr_o8aq1qGTmi1qa33wlo1_500.gif
tumblr_o8aq1qGTmi1qa33wlo3_500.gif

After purportedly being offered to take a dive:
P3254a.gif

Channeling his inner Dundee:

sean-strickland-ufc.gif

Jones destroyed Shogun to become the youngest champion in UFC history.

Dillashaw shocked the world against Barao.

Franklin beat Chuck and Wand in the rematch.

Gaeihtjhe vs Ferguson

That one was nuts!
I'd been saying for years that a measured sharp/tight striking but not overly aggressive fighter would be the one to beat Tony.

Also said a million times that I never expected lead with his face Gaethje to be the first one to take that approach against Ferguson.

Just an very old one I rewatched recently for some reason, Tra Telligman was short notice against Igor Vovchanchyn in 2001 and shocked the world back then. Igor was 46-3 with one loss in the GP final over the last six years, with a recent win over Mark Kerr in their rematch, into the fight and Tra was 6-3, on a two fights losing streak, last win was more than 3 years old. Igor was supposed to face Ken Shamrock, he endd up against a short notice replacement that felt like a total mismatch who did it in impressive fashion. That's, as far as I'm concerned, the biggest short notice upset ever. Pride 13.

Back