Has Alex Surpassed Izzy's legacy?

Overall as a combat athlete, I think so. Perhaps even as an MMA fighter which is crazy, but in this short time his run is crazy, 2 division champion. But at 185, Izzy is king together with A Silva.

I said good. He beat Romero, Whittaker twice, Vettori twice, Gastelum, and Brunson.

TBH Romero wasn't using his wrestling anymore (did he altrady had the neck fusion done?), it was like Dan Henderson's late years when he didn't even reseambled a former wrestler and while Vettori has decent grappling he isn't and he has never been a wrestler.

TBH Romero wasn't using his wrestling anymore (did he altrady had the neck fusion done?), it was like Dan Henderson's late years when he didn't even reseambled a former wrestler and while Vettori has decent grappling he isn't and he has never been a wrestler.
Indeed, none of those fighters have much of a history of being very effective high level MMA grapplers and none of them tried to grapple Izzy much at all.

I would actually argue Jan maybe a better offensive MMA grappler than any of those guys.

Wth are you even talking about? Yoel went for 3 takedowns in his fight with Israel, 4 against Costa and 10 against Whittaker.

Overall, yes. He accomplished what Izzy tried and failed to do at LHW. 6 of 8 of his UFC fights have been against current or former champions and Blachowicz was the only one he didn't knock out. Two-division champion in two different combat sports on an elite world class level. Career as defending champion still ongoing.

Wth are you even talking about? Yoel went for 3 takedowns in his fight with Israel, 4 against Costa and 10 against Whittaker.

idr his strategy being so wrestling heavy at that point.

3 td in a 5 rounds fight mean nothing if not the opposite: that he wasn't using his wrestling anymore.

Indeed, none of those fighters have much of a history of being very effective high level MMA grapplers and none of them tried to grapple Izzy much at all.

I would actually argue Jan maybe a better offensive MMA grappler than any of those guys.

umm...

TD attempts in those fights:

Whittaker 2: 4 of 10
Vettori 2: 4 of 14
Romero: 0 of 3
Gastelum: 1 of 9
Brunson: 0 of 7
Vettori 1: 2 of 6

I would say Alex is 100% the better fighter. Legacy though is tough to say, his UFC career is still relatively new.

He's a good example of an all around/jack of all trades fighter. He actually had the most TDs of Izzy's opponents - 6 of 20. He couldn't hold him down though. But no one has been able to do that except Jan with a 20 lb size advantage.

Last edited:
I'd say they are as close to equal as possible, but going by body of work I'd rate Izzy higher. (If we are going by just MMA that is)

Izzy is greater at MW. Potatotan greater over all.

Potatotan got the easiest route to a title shot, possibly in UFC history. Would he still have eventually got there? Probably but his career trajectory could have probably been much different.

I'm like 90% certain Potatotan will get a title shot at HW within the next 2 years and win. And at that point he will have completely eclipsed Izzy's career

Alex's overall combat sports record is easily more impressive. He owns the overall head to head vs. Izzy. Became the UFC double champ where Izzy came up short. Beat the same guy at the heavier weight class that Izzy failed against.

I'm not trying to shit on Izzy. He's a tremendous fighter whether you like him or not but Poatan has the greater legacy. Both have some more fights in the tank so we'll see how it ultimately ends up. Hell, Poatan might end up being the first UFC triple champ before it's all said and done.

Izzy is greater at MW. Potatotan greater over all.

Potatotan got the easiest route to a title shot, possibly in UFC history. Would he still have eventually got there? Probably but his career trajectory could have probably been much different.

I'm like 90% certain Potatotan will get a title shot at HW within the next 2 years and win. And at that point he will have completely eclipsed Izzy's career
He fought Izzy 2x this is not easy and beat Strickland by KO these are two former champs

Come back when Alex defends the belt 5 times.
Winning a belt in one division, then moving up a weight class and winning a belt and defending it twice is much more impressive than defending the lower of the 2 weights 5 times. Which Alex hasn't done yet.

I say their UFC achievements are equal in terms of quality (not quantity).

Unrelated but Alex's kickboxing achievements are much greater than Izzy's though.

In conclusion, Alex's name in combat sport history is much greater if all the above is taken into consideration.

It is strange to even contemplate this but I actually think Alex has done it.

He is a much more decorated combat athlete winning belts in multiple weight classes in two combat sports.

He has beat Israel 3 times and twice by stoppage.

Izzy knocked out Alex but in that fight Izzy was getting outclassed.

He moved up in weight class and won the belt and then defended the title.

He ko Strickland, the guy that Israel got beat badly by.

Unless Izzy does something spectacular like moving up in weight I do not see him touching the legacy of Alex.

mentions Izzy KO'd Alex but Izzy was getting out classed - meanwhile in reality the judges scorecard gave Izzy the first round.

And the golden bit
at the same time forgets Alex got destroyed so bad in the 2nd kickboxing fight, he had to be rescued when he was on the verge of being TKO'd by the hometown ref no less
and then the same thing in the 1st mma fight, but via the luck of the bell

But to answer your question, 1 on 1, nope hes not close to izzy's level - being "3-0" and still the underdog is a great proof point on this.

But on accomplishments, depends how you rate things. Paper glory champ, legit UFC champ in 2 divisions. 1 title defense.

Bashing on him cause he got near TKO'd and embarassed in front of his home crowd aside ( i mean being rescued by your hometown ref - shame), he is pretty close and should he continue to be dominant at 205 then yes.

Looking at what they have done:

You have long 185 dominance, 2x champ highlighted by knockouts of Costa, Whitakker and Pereira, with a war involving Gastellum. All on the most active schedule in a long time
But with some boring showings and a misstep vs Strickland

vs

Record rise to the top, 2 x division champ, highlights vs Izzy (ill count that last round comeback), Jiri, Hill and Strickland
But, Izzys son, fast tracked via Izzy, very questionable matches (always vs strikers) and right place right time (eg chaotic LHW division)

Depends on how you rate things, could be in front of Izzy now.

Back