Has Ariel ever been caught in a lie?

Ogata

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Has he ever been caught in a lie? Or has he been consistent throughout his career?

Honestly, Ariel's not perfect but in my opinion he's been the face of MMA media coverage for years and whatever peoples' opinions are on him I do believe he is and has been the best MMA journalist in the sport by a noticeable margin. He's for the sport, for the people, for the fighters. I feel like the Brett Okamoto's of the world come off as "for the UFC" and are overall just really bland and "company man" in their coverage. Ariel isn't owned by anyone but the sport and his truth. He asks the hard questions and like a journalist who's in love with what he does, he digs to find the truth. That being said as far as instigating fights between the fighters, Ariel also tends to at time lack awareness in interviews or leave his filter at home so much that he asks really abrasive, insensitive questions and like with anything else he asks, he's usually persistent about getting his answers even if the interviewee tries to brush it off and give him the sign to back off of it. To answer TS' question though I haven't personally ever seen Ariel get caught in some sort of lie but I also haven't watched every MMA Hour episode or seen his entire body of work.

Didn't mean for that to come off as a Helwani fanboy post but I just think that history will remember Helwani as "the guy" for MMA media coverage. Idk if he'll wind up being the Howard Cosell of the sport like he said he'd like to be considered one day but as a journalist he's excellent in my opinion and I think as the years have gone by and the whole UFC/Dana vs Ariel thing happened (which ultimately went down because Ariel did his job as an *independent* journalist and the UFC let the Brock Lesnar return leak which imo is more their fault than his, like it's a journalist's job to discover and report the news/happenings) he's gotten amounts of guff that he doesn't deserve relative to what he gives us, the fans and how much he obviously loves the sport and covering it as well as the fighters. Like you can tell how passionate he is about it. You want those kinds of journalists in the sport imo.

Some of his scoops have not panned out, but that happens. I would not consider that it was lying. Maybe just jumping the gun a bit.

i think both dana and ariel have convinced themselves they were both right about UFC 200. So when you have done that, it isn't really a lie to that person.

I think Ariel spilled it about 200 and was told not to prior to. Rather he agreed upon that verbally or not, no one really knows. But i think Ariel thinks he's being honest.

That would be the only thing I'm aware of.

But he is an immature goof, so his only real lie is being a fake tough guy. Imagine being 40 blasting tupac like your doing something serious. lol

I doubt he’s told any major lies; if he did, Dana would hold it over his head ad nauseum.

I’m ambivalent about Ariel. On the one hand, he has historically been the face of MMA media for over 10 years. On the other hand, I think he’s said a few things that make him appear like a spineless hack trying to chase power and clout by pretending to be a journalist. Plus, the four hour long interview sessions just aren’t for me, and I don’t know how anyone can sit through whole episodes of that.

I doubt he’s told any major lies; if he did, Dana would hold it over his head ad nauseum.

I’m ambivalent about Ariel. On the one hand, he has historically been the face of MMA media for over 10 years. On the other hand, I think he’s said a few things that make him appear like a spineless hack trying to chase power and clout by pretending to be a journalist. Plus, the four hour long interview sessions just aren’t for me, and I don’t know how anyone can sit through whole episodes of that.

I just cue to the interviews I want to hear, I have done the full pod a few times and it can drag, NY Rick doesn't really interest me to be honest.

Reactions: G10
Back