Has Metal become Incel Music?

SadBunny

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Just wondering if over the years, metal has developed a reputation and has become associated with Incels?

Funny story:

Was at the gym and the local Personal Trainer pulled in a total baddie as a personal client.
After finishing up with the warm-ups and aerobics-stuff, he took her over to do some weight-training.
She then asked for some music to help pump her up for the weight-training portion of the routine.

Dude decides to play Disturbed, not a bad choice, but he plays her the unedited version of "Down with the Sickness."
All is going fine until the song hits the infamous verse in the unedited version;
She just goes completely wide-eyed and walks out the gym (Took everything I had not to burst out laughing.)

Thots?

Rocked this since it came out, incel was never in my background.

Disturbed isn’t metal , but yes certain kinds of metal has been incel music for a long while, before incel was even a term. They gathered around tables and played d&d.

No, but fucking Disturbed Down With the Sickness? In 2024? The fuck. I revisit some stuff I don't really like from that era from time to time, but that one's aged so badly.

Things were a lot different in the 80's:

4Fr3jA3iWR5KFsuiqbJ9QV.jpg

I would say metal has always been associated with nerds yes.

No idea how this site's wonky quote system works. apparently I tried to quote someone a long time ago so now when I select quote it adds it to a multi-quote that I must navigate. Now that I have parsed the quote I wanted, I have no choice but to respond below the quote? What the flaming heck?!

Anyway, I came into this thread to point out that Disturbed is not metal but I see that has been covered already by others.

Then I saw the above quote calling metal fans nerds, and as has been pointed out by Chad above, metal used to be bands like Def Leppard, Van Halen, etc who used to get all the babes back in the 80s.

While there might be single men that listen to metal it is simply not true that metal is for involuntary celibates. There are too many hot babes making metal for this to be true.

No idea how this site's wonky quote system works. apparently I tried to quote someone a long time ago so now when I select quote it adds it to a multi-quote that I must navigate. Now that I have parsed the quote I wanted, I have no choice but to respond below the quote? What the flaming heck?!

Anyway, I came into this thread to point out that Disturbed is not metal but I see that has been covered already by others.

Then I saw the above quote calling metal fans nerds, and as has been pointed out by Chad above, metal used to be bands like Def Leppard, Van Halen, etc who used to get all the babes back in the 80s.

While there might be single men that listen to metal it is simply not true that metal is for involuntary celibates. There are too many hot babes making metal for this to be true.

I like metal, but I think the general perception of metal is that it's nerd music.

I like metal, but I think the general perception of metal is that it's nerd music.

I guess that depends on the company you keep. I always think I look more evil (Satanic) than nerdy while wearing my metal shirts.

The only genre that could even be close to nerdiness in metal is technical death metal, like Brain Drill, which tries to fit as many notes into a riff as quickly as possible hence the moniker "math metal."

I guess that depends on the company you keep. I always think I look more evil (Satanic) than nerdy while wearing my metal shirts.

The only genre that could even be close to nerdiness in metal is technical death metal, like Brain Drill, which tries to fit as many notes into a riff as quickly as possible hence the moniker "math metal."

Might be a country thing. In England if someone looked satanic they'd definitely get called a nerd.

Metal/Nerd incel connection is a new concept to an older headbanger like me. Dozens of concerts attended seemed IMHO virtually free of incels and nerds.

Glam Metal chads stay winning
UEFMPQ.gif
If those guys just wore make-up...​

Last edited:
Back