Heavy Bag advice

Can’t find any used bags near where I live, seems cheaper to buy an empty bag, I’ve got about 4 garbage bags of old clothes and tons of old blankets think clothes would work ok to fill it?

Yes it will work perfectly. The size of a t shirt is the perfect size imo. Take all the buttons and zipper out.

hi all, just wanted some advice on hanging a 30kg heavy bag in my garage which has exposed wooden beams, see attached photos. Im unsure whether to hang it from one of the side beams since the length is shorter and its closer to the wall, or the longer double beam in the middle as its double strength but longer, or theres a plank in the last photos running over 3 beams which would distribute weight better. Or i could just get a wall mount instead. Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• garage-punch-bag.jpg
    garage-punch-bag.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • garage-beams.jpg
    garage-beams.jpg
    849.5 KB · Views: 6
  • garage-single-beam.jpg
    garage-single-beam.jpg
    818.1 KB · Views: 6
  • garage-double-beam.jpg
    garage-double-beam.jpg
    797.8 KB · Views: 6
  • garage-beam3.jpg
    garage-beam3.jpg
    830.6 KB · Views: 6
hi all, just wanted some advice on hanging a 30kg heavy bag in my garage which has exposed wooden beams, see attached photos. Im unsure whether to hang it from one of the side beams since the length is shorter and its closer to the wall, or the longer double beam in the middle as its double strength but longer, or theres a plank in the last photos running over 3 beams which would distribute weight better. Or i could just get a wall mount instead. Any advice is appreciated, thanks

The main point is to distribute the weight and shock the bag will cause. So the option with the plank that goes over 3 2x4 is the best option. But, that plank is not thick enought.

You should at least have a 2x6.

Also get a heavy bag spring. It will take so much vibrations away.

I can't make a separate forum post, so I'll ask here since it seems appropriate.

How are aqua bags for kicks? Aqua bags are cheaper than traditional heavy bags and seem softer on the joints for punching. I'm mainly worried about durability and ability to make contact with the bag.

Currently looking at this bag: https://aquatrainingbag.com/aqua-bruiser-bag-150lbs

I can't make a separate forum post, so I'll ask here since it seems appropriate.

How are aqua bags for kicks? Aqua bags are cheaper than traditional heavy bags and seem softer on the joints for punching. I'm mainly worried about durability and ability to make contact with the bag.

Currently looking at this bag: https://aquatrainingbag.com/aqua-bruiser-bag-150lbs

Not the best for kicks. It hurts. You can get an unfilled heavy bag for pretty cheap and fill it with old clothes.

Not the best for kicks. It hurts. You can get an unfilled heavy bag for pretty cheap and fill it with old clothes.
Are there alternative fillings for heavy bags? I usually don't have any old clothes laying around. I've seen some people suggest rubber mulch.

Edit: I'm also limited on options with prefilled bags since I'm in Canada. I've been looking at Everlast, Century, and Title. But, I've heard that Century and Everlast bags are like rocks after gradual use because there's sandbags in the middle.

Last edited:
Are there alternative fillings for heavy bags? I usually don't have any old clothes laying around. I've seen some people suggest rubber mulch.

Edit: I'm also limited on options with prefilled bags since I'm in Canada. I've been looking at Everlast, Century, and Title. But, I've heard that Century and Everlast bags are like rocks after gradual use because there's sandbags in the middle.

I am also in Canada.

We have Rival boxing, Clinch fight shop and Warrior fight store for heavy bag options.

You can use rubber mulch as long as your bag have a liner inside.

Couple questions:

1) Does anyone have any specs on what spring I would need for a 100lb heavy bag? Just curious to know if I can get one from Home Depot/Lowes rather than a specialized MMA retailer
2) Opinions on whether nylon webbing would work in hanging this bag from a steel I-Beam?

Couple questions:

1) Does anyone have any specs on what spring I would need for a 100lb heavy bag? Just curious to know if I can get one from Home Depot/Lowes rather than a specialized MMA retailer
2) Opinions on whether nylon webbing would work in hanging this bag from a steel I-Beam?
Go with a spring. You can use a porch swing spring as well.

I have a 150lb spring and it works fine with my 115 lb bag

Couple questions:

I picked one off of amazon for $35 Canadian
They need a pretty heavy duty spring because not only do they have to support the dead weight of the bag but also the force that is put into them at full swing. I think the rule of thumb for mounting is around double the weight of the bag at full swing due to the centrifugal force so I can't see it to be much different for the spring. The only difference is that a spring that is too strong will not do its job to absorb some of the force.

You should be able to buy scrap textile from a recycler locally well you can in the uk

I had a plan to pick up an old heavy bag or two off Kijiji if the price was right and stuff a new one that way. I managed to get one old bag before Covid-19 drove up demand/prices too much. Playing the waiting game for now.

Also wondering about cutting up old foam from bed comforters and the like but not sure where to get them at a price to make it worthwhile.

[QUOTE="Gym Turtle, post: 160036778, member: 577751" I've seen some people suggest rubber mulch.

.[/QUOTE]

Rubber mulch would be waaaaay too heavy.
Think of rubber bumper plates at the gym. The volume of a heavy bag in rubber mulch would weigh the same as a small car.

To fill a heavy bag it is best to use shredded/chopped up clothes.

Why not approach a charity clothing recycling kind of place and ask for the clothes unfit for use that will be thrown out?

There are actually businesses that exist that solely trade scrap fabric, which is generally old clothes that are not good enough to be sold second hand. Or clothes that are good enough to be sold but unsorted, sold by weight or by bale.
If you are in a small town you may not have such a place but in a big city there is definitely at least one of these businesses.

What are people's opinions on heavy bag mounts like the ones sold at ProMountings?

https://www.promountings.com/

I was originally thinking of just hanging the bag from an eye ring in a 4x4 fastened to the ceiling joists. But, the mounts could let me hang the bag from an I-Beam or possibly reduce stress if I were mounting a bag from the joists.

Get a 150 pound heavy bag and never look back
Ringside sells a decent one

Back