Movies Highlander (1986) is an underated movie

Highlander is my favorite movie , theres not many near perfect movies for what it’s trying to deliver but this is that film .

Any remake of it will surely fall short even with any new effects ( cgi probably) or whatever but I’d like to see them try . Lol

There can be only one at number one ironically it’s this movie for me still waiting for a better movie hasn’t happened yet but most my favorite ones are from the 80”s still consider Superman 2 1980 the best superhero movie of all time . Just my two cents .

Last edited:
Highlander is my favorite movie , theres not many near perfect movies for what it’s trying to deliver but this is that film .

Any remake of it will surely fall short even with any new effects ( cgi probably) or whatever but I’d like to see them try . Lol

There can be only one at number one ironically it’s this movie for me still waiting for a better movie hasn’t happened yet but most my favorite ones are from the 80”s still consider Superman 2 1980 the best superhero movie of all time . Just my two cents .
Again my feeling is if they do a remake it should be more of a reboot, take the basic idea of immortals and make a new story with it rather than recasting the original characters.

We are never going to have a Another movie where Sean Connery plays an Ancient Egyptian wielding a Japanese Katana who has adopted a Spanish name all while never Dropping his Scottish accent. Also Christopher Lamberts French Scottish Accent , and of Course Peak Clancy Brown fully Hamming is up as the Kurgan long before he becomes one of the most recognizable and prolific voice actors ever.

No, it’s a terrible fucking movie that is so bad it’s good. It is rated exactly how it should be.

Again my feeling is if they do a remake it should be more of a reboot, take the basic idea of immortals and make a new story with it rather than recasting the original characters.
And it’ll be a big fail I guarantee that bc Hollywood makes crappy movies dumbed down fir this generation that’s just a fact it’s something thatll flop big time trying to do another remake is like the, trying to do Road House which was basically mindless action and Halloween which was turned into an action movie more then a horror flick there’s countless examples .

No one has actually figured out you take what’s already existed and add on to that without changing the actual concept and what’s already made the movie great in doing remakes . Once someone over does it or reinvents the movie it’s over.

GI Joe is another example I actually read the original script in the early 90”s bf it was ever considered a movie bc it was handed to me by a screen writer that was living with us and it was pure crap nothing like the cartoon , I just never told him that and that never made it to the screen anyway . Lol

Last edited:
And it’ll be a big fail I guarantee that bc Hollywood makes crappy movies dumbed down fir this generation that’s just a fact it’s something thatll flop big time trying to do another remake is like the, trying to domRoad Hiuse which was basically mindless action and Halloween which was turned into an action movie more then a horror flick there’s countless examples .

No one has actually figured out you take what’s already existed and add on to that without changing the actual concept and what’s already made the movie great in doing remakes . Once something over does it or reinvents the movie it’s over . Lol
Depends a lot who is making it I would say, most of the bad remakes/reboots tend to be the result of something which is driven mostly by studio execs.

Depends a lot who is making it I would say, most of the bad remakes/reboots tend to be the result of something which is driven mostly by studio execs.
Well I’m a huge horror fan and not even John Carpenter could save his own Halloween movies he was involved in involving Michael Myers bc you actually can’t ,unless you make it from scratch and actually make it a scary true grit story again that series was over after the second one without changing 90% of the 1978 one and if he tries my bet he’ll go down the Rob Zombie path and just make a movie that could’ve been titles something else ?

Dawn of The Dead is a great example they stuck to the original concept added better things minus the biker gang invaders and added cool kills , suspense and a more intense feeling of dread with thousands of zombies they had to evade at the end which fir me out did the original painted up zombies you could see painted . Lol, ( Night of the living dead remake 1990 wasn’t bad either bc it kept the concept )

But my point is once you reinvent the wheel in an already great movie the odds it gets disliked bc it’s suppose to be better or as good not worse then the movie it’s trying to emulate the more likely it’s going to another reason to stick to the original set up .

Well I’m a huge horror fan and not even John Carpenter could save his own Halloween movies he was involved in involving Michael Myers bc you actually can’t ,unless you make it from scratch and actually make it a scary true grit story again that series was over after the second one without changing 90% of the 1978 one and if he tries my bet he’ll go down the Rob Zombie path and just make a movie that could’ve been titles something else ?

Dawn of The Dead is a great example they stuck to the original concept added better things minus the biker gang invaders and added cool kills , suspense and a more intense feeling of dread with thousands of zombies they had to evade at the end which fir me out did the original painted up zombies you could see painted . Lol, ( Night of the living dead remake 1990 wasn’t bad either bc it kept the concept )

But my point is once you reinvent the wheel in an already great movie the odds it gets disliked bc it’s suppose to be better or as good not worse then the movie it’s trying to emulate the more likely it’s going to another reason to stick to the original set up .
I don't tend to be a big fan of a lot of horror franchises either, even those from back in the day, trying to think of some examples I rate highly besides Dawn, The Exorcist 3, Psycho 2, not much else comes to mind unless you get into semi horror like Terminator 2, Aliens, Gremlins 2, Predator 2, etc. You could argue maybe the nature of horror is not well suited for sequels as it tends to be heavy on the opening act, depending a lot on introducing the threat in an atmospheric fashion which isnt as effective second time around.

I would say also though it tends to be the case that horror franchises tend to be pretty low effort, they know they have a certain market and tend to play to it strongly. I would argue that mainstream Hollywood horror as a whole has become very much like that, its cinema generally playing to a hardcore auidience who will watch a certain franchise and be happy with pretty generic jump scares. Thats a big downgrade from the peak of horror from the late 60's to the early 90's were some of the best working directors would do films, now its mostly left to pretty gteneric genre guys who IMHO are often way overhyped. Good horror in recent years I think your generally having to go outside of mainstream Hollywood to find, the arthouse scene and/or foreign films.

I feel like action films though are in "somewhat" better shape, maybe not as good shape as 30 years ago but there is some real talent there with people like Stahelski, if he's making a Highlander film I would say I'm potentially interested no matter the form it takes.

Last edited:
As long as the new MacLeod is a black trans cripple, I’m fine with a reboot.

"There can only be one" is going to be a bit confusing when some immortals are using They/Them pronouns.

I kinda wish they weren't doing a straight up remake, because at the end, MacLeod wins and the gathering is over.

I like the Highlander universe and they could make many great movies out of it if they just tweaked the premise slightly so that there doesn't have to be only one. That way each movie can focus on a different story, maybe Even with different characters, and they're doesn't have to be a huge tournament that ends the plot forever.

Either that, or plan it as a trilogy so the gathering isn't resolved in the first movie.

As Bi has mentioned before really Highlander owes a lot to "Trench Coat Urban Apocalypse" films like Escape From Newyork or The Terminator.

Its a bit of a weird franchise were I think the first sequel really played up that style and didnt care too much about the mythology were as afterwards the franchised focused on the mythology but rarely looked to play up the style of the original.
A lot of similarities between the Kurgan and Terminator - even staying in similar shitty hotels and insulting the staff

I don't tend to be a big fan of a lot of horror franchises either, even those from back in the day, trying to think of some examples I rate highly besides Dawn, The Exorcists 3, Psycho 2, not much else comes to mind unless you get into semi horror like Terminator 2, Aliens, Gremlins 2, Predator 2, etc. You could argue maybe the nature of horror is not well suited for sequels as it tends to be heavy on the opening act, depending a lot on introducing the threat in an atmospheric fashion which isnt as effective second time around.

I would say also though it tends to be the case that horror franchises tend to be pretty low effort, they know they have a certain market and tend to play to it strongly. I would argue that mainstream Hollywood horror as a whole has become very much like that, its cinema generally playing to a hardcore auidience who will watch a certain franchise and be happy with pretty generic jump scares. Thats a big downgrade from the peak of horror from the late 60's to the early 90's were some of the best working directors would do films, now its mostly left to pretty gteneric genre guys who IMHO are often way overhyped. Good horror in recent years I think your generally having to go outside of mainstream Hollywood to find, the arthouse scene and/or foreign films.

I feel like action films though are in "somewhat" better shape, maybe not as good shape as 30 years ago but there is some real talent there with people like Stahelski, if he's making a Highlander film I would say I'm potentially interested no matter the form it takes.
Action movies , dramas , sci fi , Bad B movies etc are far easier to do then a horror film bc a horror has to have fresh ideas and or change enough to keep the viewer entertained or engaged which means you just can’t blow up things or do different fight scenes or rely on special effects you actually need a reason a plot a good menace or threat and need reasons why you want to see characters try and survive if not it’s just a going to be bland and or the same old thing which in most cases it is that’s why I myself only have 200 horror movies on a list to watch out of the thousands …..

Look at the twilight zone old series ,they did at least 3 remakes of that series post 70”s and not one comes remotely close to the black and white series despite the advanced technology in film and movies ,no one was smart enough to keep it black and white and have a 60”s feel to it instead they relied on characters not the simple story line first so it lost that aspect of actually drawing viewers in ,

Last edited:
First movie and anime were awesome

Tv series was probably not epic good, but loved it as kid

It's a really good simple movie with a fun villain. The second movie made no sense. I don't think they should remake it unless it is to tell a different story. The highlander anime film was actually much better than the live action after part 2. It was a mix of mad max and fist of the north star setting/vibe.

I'm actually excited about the new Highlander movie that is in the works (pre-production) right now. Two reasons:

1. The director is Chad Stahelski, the guy who made all four John Wick films. So not only is the level of quality going to be super high, but the action & stunts are presumably going to be heavily practical. Real swordfighters, real stuntpeople, etc. not just a typical modern CGI shitfest.

2. Stahelski is also the producer of the new Highlander. He's the one whose idea it is, the one who is making it happen. So it's not just some big studio or corporation trying to milk member berries, it's coming from a place of real passion, from an artist who is himself a superfan of the original, & wants to do the work justice.

Action movies , dramas , sci fi , Bad B movies etc are far easier to do then a horror film bc a horror has to have fresh ideas and or change enough to keep the viewer entertained or engaged which means you just can’t blow up things or do different fight scenes or rely on special effects you actually need a reason a plot a good menace or threat and need reasons why you want to see characters try and survive if not it’s just a going to be bland and or the same old thing which in most cases it is that’s why I myself only have 200 horror movies on a list to watch out of the thousands …..

Look at the twilight zone old series ,they did at least 3 remakes of that series post 70”s and not one comes remotely close to the black and white series despite the advanced technology in film and movies ,no one was smart enough to keep it black and white and have a 60”s feel to it instead they relied on characters not the simple story line first so it lost that aspect of actually drawing viewers in ,
Again I do think an issue with modern hollywood horror is that it tends to aim pretty low, classic horror you had people like Kubrick, Ridley Scott, Polanski, Fredikin, Alan Parker, De Palma. etc making the films, some of the best directors in the world and I think people like Carpenter and Crononberg were also directors of real substance. Horror I think was a genre which drew in the very best due to the freedom it offered, being able to look at certain isues in an extreme way and being able to focus strongly on atmosphere. The modern Hollywood horror scene is more akin to stuff like the Friday the 13th franchise back in the day, much less ambitious and mostly aiming at playing to genre cliches, even then I think often lacking the charm of those films.

The focus on building atmosphere around an "idea" in horror does I think makes sequels difficult, compared to action films which beyond the action itself can introduce some new drama, something like say Indy's father in Last Crusade. The "idea" and the setting./character tend to be more closely linked with a strong focus on an opening act, Carpenter films can be about 80% opening act and something like the X-files basically perfected "two act stories" as well were most of the focus was on scene setting although I think you could say it DID actually have a few decent sequels in Tooms and Pusher.

To go back to Highlander I think you could argue it had more than a little horror influence to it as of course did a lot of "Trenchcoat Apoc" stuff. I don't think its AS overt films like Terminator but still I think the Kurgan is quite a horror like villian and the film generally focuses a lot on building a moody atmosphere,

Last edited:
Back