Hillbilly wrasslin'

eternaldarkness

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not much of a kicker and I haven't used the legs for a while but I though I would share cause I'm bored and could do with a bit of advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
keep your lead hand tighter to your head, having it flail back is affecting your balance. You're trying to get the weight forward through the target on the kick, but the arm pulling you back is putting you in limbo. Same goes for the right hand, its better to get it more horizontal than downwards, since its pulling you backwards.

keep your lead hand tighter to your head, having it flail back is affecting your balance. You're trying to get the weight forward through the target on the kick, but the arm pulling you back is putting you in limbo. Same goes for the right hand, its better to get it more horizontal than downwards, since its pulling you backwards.
Thanks, i was thinking the arms where all over the place.

Except for hand dropping looked pretty good, hip turnover, good work.

I was watching a few decent Thai fighters last night, and I think the lack of balance from the arms flailing about is dramatically affecting the reload speed. (Also my legs are ridiculously weak at the moment and i haven't really kicked in years, not saying that has anything to do with shitty technique).

My only real background in kicking is a few years of tkd is a kid. I have never trained muay thai, but I spent a bit of time kicking, when I was training for an mma match.

Not much of a kicker and I haven't used the legs for a while but I though I would share cause I'm bored and could do with a bit of advice.

Get off line when you kick
When you are vulnerable to get clipped 3 times as you get set to throw the kick, as you are throwing the kick, or immediately after the kick so get your head off line so you're not as much of a Target in case he wants to counter stepping out at a 45 will help this and let you drive move of body weight with your kick another option is to swing your kicking arm across his face to either blind your opponent or to pull them into your kick
2nd thing is your recovery
When you cometo your stance you feet are properly lined up and you have to adjust you disguise it well with footwork
Hope this helps

When you throw a low kick, try to make sure that your head stays over your standing foot. So when you take a step out, make sure that your head and foot are in line. At the moment your foot and head aren't in line, which is causing a subtle balance issue that diminishes the power of the kick.

Your lead hand should protect your head for as much of the kick as possible (but expecting it to be glued to your face the whole kick is not realistic and not what any fighter actually does) - as for your rear hand:
Ideally for a low kick you'll want to spring down, but for a body kick you can swing it down or you can place it forward to protect you (creating a frame on their chest or head) - neither is 'right' and neither is 'wrong' despite what you may here. Old school muay thai fighters often favour keeping that arm out as a barrier between you and the opponent, as does Artur Kyshenko when he teaches.
I'm mentioning the arm mechanics for the body kick, so that you can seperate them in your mind from a low kick, it's easy to get these kicks confused.

Low kicks are harder to get right than body kicks. Solid effort regardless of my critiques.

@William Huggins what do you think of my shitty low kick for a boxer that had never really trained kicks except tkd as a kid?

To be honest because I know you love that......

It's "okay" and I can see the flappy arms like @j123 said, it's definitely TKD looking, stance is a bit off, your kick shouldn't be flat in it's trajectory and wide, it makes it very slow, low kick should be the fastest kick as it has less distance to travel.

The kick should just come straight up like a Thai middle kick and then turn it over a bit to land.

Stand in front when you deliver the kick, after the kick lands you should be off the centre line of attack, so your opponent isn't in the right position to hit you back without moving, face out from the bag and make some lines of your arc of attack that you can generate a punch from, use this as the basis of your attacking kick.

Hope this helps......

When you throw a low kick, try to make sure that your head stays over your standing foot. So when you take a step out, make sure that your head and foot are in line. At the moment your foot and head aren't in line, which is causing a subtle balance issue that diminishes the power of the kick.

Your lead hand should protect your head for as much of the kick as possible (but expecting it to be glued to your face the whole kick is not realistic and not what any fighter actually does) - as for your rear hand:
Ideally for a low kick you'll want to spring down, but for a body kick you can swing it down or you can place it forward to protect you (creating a frame on their chest or head) - neither is 'right' and neither is 'wrong' despite what you may here. Old school muay thai fighters often favour keeping that arm out as a barrier between you and the opponent, as does Artur Kyshenko when he teaches.
I'm mentioning the arm mechanics for the body kick, so that you can seperate them in your mind from a low kick, it's easy to get these kicks confused.

Low kicks are harder to get right than body kicks. Solid effort regardless of my critiques.
Positively excellent advice. Don't really give two fucks though as I'm more of a wrestler/boxer, thanks for the input though, I was just checking to see what you'll though of a tkd kids kicks (I'm a good friend of @spacetime!!!)

To be honest because I know you love that......

It's "okay" and I can see the flappy arms like @j123 said, it's definitely TKD looking, stance is a bit off, your kick shouldn't be flat in it's trajectory and wide, it makes it very slow, low kick should be the fastest kick as it has less distance to travel.

The kick should just come straight up like a Thai middle kick and then turn it over a bit to land.

Stand in front when you deliver the kick, after the kick lands you should be off the centre line of attack, so your opponent isn't in the right position to hit you back without moving, face out from the bag and make some lines of your arc of attack that you can generate a punch from, use this as the basis of your attacking kick.

Hope this helps......
I have serious trouble with my offload time even with my punches. Check out "not so switch kick" on YouTube.

Back