History repeats: Ngannou is also beating mostly high mileage fighters

Who is he suppose to fight? The guy fights whoever in front of him in the rankings. If they happen to have high fight mileage so be it. That's just the nature of the sport at times. It is what it is.

I don't blame Francis. I blame the UFC.

Welcome to modern day HW

I blame UFC's inability to scout talent like other major league sports

Boxing has the same issue, depth is lacking

Yup.

The UFC is responsible here.

I applaud your logical counter argument to all the "like OMG Stipe only beat old fighters" threads.

The fact is, you cannot climb HW rankings w/o beating "older" fighters.

Ngannou 34
Stipe 38
Lewis 36
Blaydes 30
Gane 30
Volkov 32
Roze 33
Shamil 39
Harris 37
Sakai 29

I don't blame Francis. I blame the UFC.

What's the UFC suppose to do?

Most the guys ranked in the top 15 in HW division is 30 or older.

You don't think the UFC is looking for the best guys available? Regardless of age.

I just think that's the talent they can find out there right now and finding like a young 20 to 25 year old top prospect is very hard to come by in the HW division as whole in MMA. It's just the way it is.

Too bad Fedor only fought 2 of them, who skillwise aren't better than today's hw.

Nice try ThunderCuck you failed again.

Nog, Crocop, Hunt, Arlovski, Sylvia, etc. at the PEAK of their careers would smash anyone in today’s putrid division lol.

Washed up Hunt already TKO’d the guy who COMFORTABLY outstruck Ngannou:

4152E45400000578-0-image-m-11_1497161577619.jpg

francis-ngannou-gets-punched-by-derrick-lewis-ufc-226-1040x572.jpg

LOL

It’s a fair point to make. It’s why for all the GOAT talk, Stipe lost to just about every fighter he faced who was at, or at least close to their prime, usually brutally.

But all the other potential HW GOAT contenders like Cain and Werdum have similar asterisks with their resumes.

HW is just different, and currently shallow. Francis will likely have to face some younger contenders if he defends a few times.

Unlike Stipe he actually has a couple of wins overall good young fighters. Stipe had no such wins. But I agree overall recipe to success in the shitty HW division today is the same.

Ngannou just got the title and has already beaten a prime Curtis Blaydes and Rozenstruik. He also has Gane and Volkov to look forward to. Already he is doing better than Stipe.

Been saying this forever. Rozenstruik has KOed almost all of the same guys that Ngannou has. This is the weakest heavyweight division ever and it still took Ngannou forever to get the title. He will get exposed big time if he fights Jones.

Blades is high mileage? Rozen was high mileage? Also, who else is there? You want to fly some Belloltor Heavyweights over to help solidify his resume?

GTFO, lol.
You didn't read the thread, did you?

Here, this was in the OP:

No. I really didn't. The headline was enough. Did you not read the rest of what you didn't make bigger?

What's the UFC suppose to do?

Most the guys ranked in the top 15 in HW division is 30 or older.

You don't think the UFC is looking for the best guys available? Regardless of age.

I just think that's the talent they can find out there right now and finding like a young 20 to 25 year old top prospect is very hard to come by in the HW division as whole in MMA. It's just the way it is.

Scoop for better talent around the world.

Forget about the rankings. The rankings are limited to the UFC/Bellator. They're useless when assessing talent world wide.

MMA doesn't have competitive architecture. It doesn't have a competitive system like the olympics, in which athletes around the world compete with each other in order to be an olympian. There's not a competitive system that allows us to know who the best are. For that reason, they have to keep an eye on every prospect of every decent MMA org. around the world. It's ridiculous guys like Overeem and Arlovski could still be among the best HW's in the world not long ago. These dudes aren't doing their homeworks. They're settling for entertaining fighters. And fans buy this idea that they're watching the absolute best.

Here's the problem: I don't think the UFC cares about having the best, nor they need them. They can hype any good fighter as the best. I mean they hyped Brock as the best and everybody bought it. Even the rankings. The UFC only needs to have entertaining fighters. That's how they make their money. Their marketing will ensure people believe they're watching the best.

Last edited:
Not a bad point TC. Never really thought of it like that.

It's actually a pretty good quality thread that just lays down the facts. I don't get the "hater vibe" that other people seem to get from TS. The one part of the story that's missing is the context of the mileage. Obviously two grueling fights against DC leads to more mileage than a squash match against Malbodobonado. Total fight time and amount of KO losses and/or times a fighter has been knocked down would be good stats to get a more accurate look on this.

One or two big wars can really change a fighter forever. Cain vs. JDS 2 and 3 is the most obvious example of this. This might be a bit harder to quantify.

No, that's ridiculous. HW was full of talent 15 years ago. And most of them weren't guys you would see playing football or basketball.

It's even more ridiculous because outside of the USA nobody wants to play American football. And only a few other countries are really into basketball.

Been saying this for a while now and it's obviously not stipe/francis's fault. For the life of me i can't understand why people are so offended by the truth. The heavy weight division hasn't been this weak in a very long time.

At least now the division will move along now with francis fighting more often than stipe and being that his competition have slightly less mileage/age on them they might have room to grow in the future

Last edited:
When was the last time frame in which 3 or more great HW propects rose or entered the ranks?

My guess is around the time Brock came in

Gonzaga, Werdum, Brock, Vera, JDS, Cain were all intriguing prospects that had entered the top within the same 2yrs or so I think

Back