Home Wrestling Mat Review

i too bought mats from matsmatsmats.com... and am extremely happy with them. i bought the 12' x 12' setup in green with a yellow circle (viva brasil). anyway, they came in two 6' x 12' sections, and thankfully came with a huge roll of mat tape. they are nice and soft, but strong enough on the surface not to rip/tear too easily at all. and not soft enough that you sink in the things when standing.

also, GO WITH THE REMNANTS! you can hardly tell that they arent 'brand new.' they are manufactured exactly the same, and are completely brand new, but the remnants have a couple blemishes in them. truly, its so hard to even find these on the mats.

also, when they arrive, be sure to lay them out and wash them... they smell so bad for a couple days. so be sure to give them a really nice wash. and guys remember, if you get mats, be sure to read about how to properly clense them... you dont want rings to end up all over your body if you know what i mean!

ps - if youre thinking about getting mats... ask your friends to chip in on your 'home gym' setup. my friends chipped in and we wound up rolling about 3-4 times a week on those things, plus BJJ class at the gym a couple times a week. home mats are the best.

I got on ebay and got some dollamur wrestling mats...extremely happy with them also. They sell full mats or just sections...

Thanks i'll check out matsmatsmats.....lets see some pics

I just bought some Swain folding mats two days ago off www.craigslist.com and they are sweet. The guy i bought em off of sold em to me for $250 for two 6x12s. At first I misread the ad and thought they were 200 for both but they were 200 each. He was like if no one pics em up today u can have em for 250.:icon_chee

here are my mats from matsmatsmats. excuse the wrinkling since they have been rolled up for 3 years. i bought them about 4.5 years ago and moved 3 years ago. they have since been rolled up at my parents house in CT. the 'remnant' part is seen on the left mat. just a small 'line' across the mat. you cant even feel it. i am very happy with the mats.

DSC01062.jpg

DSC01061.jpg

Nice! I like that mat. I actually want to get an International Wrestling mat in the future.

shooter said:
I have thought about putting carpet padding underneath for extra cushion.

that sounds like a really good idea tell me how it works out

I think one of the most sought after items on the boards has to be a home mat. It seems that everyone offers two options, Zebra and Swain, both quite expensive. After a lot of research, I decided to go with Matsmatsmats.com(how's that for a name to remember?). I emailed a few questions back and forth and spoke with a gentleman named Mark Carmer. Basically,what I found, is that Matsmatsmats.com makes two kind's of wrestling mats, Remnant and new. A new remnant mat is made using extra pieces of other new mats. Surprisingly, this is what Mark recomended to me. The reason is that you cant tell it is a remnant and it is the same exact quality and warranty. New, is obviously created from scratch, and you can pick your color and create your exact specifications. All mats come with a 3 year warranty.
There are different sizes to choose from but a 10 x 10 is more than enough for any persons home. It's more than enough for two people to roll as hard as they want. I want to also add that the mat comes out closer to an 11 by 11, and I wont complain. You can order in either 1" thick or 1.25. I chose 1.25 since it's the standard wrestling mat size. Click this link to see all that goes into the mats, quite interesting: Grappling Mats - Remnant Wrestling Mat For Sale
Well, next was recieving the mat. It was a 10 x 10 and they ship it in two pieces of 10 x 5 and each mat is shipped with a roll of wrestling mat tape. If it is cold outside (or inside) they instruct you to let the mat sit for 24 hrs before unrolling. After 24 hrs, I unrolled the mat. The first impression is a strange chemical smell, which is harmless (use proper ventilation) and the next impression is that your mat is coated in white dust, which needs to be cleaned off. The dust is actually corn starch which the mat is coated with to protect the new finish. The smell goes away after a couple weeks.
After unrolling and cleaning the mat, you start to realize what a great mat this is. I actually like it much better than the zebra's and swain's. It is much softer. It is basically like the new wrestling mats in high school, just a little smaller. When you walk on the mat, your foot leave an impression for a couple seconds, which really says how soft the mats are. the quality is very impressive.
I put the mat downstairs in my basement where I have bags and pads and such. I taped it together and I basically have a training center in my basement now.
We've rolled on the mats now for a couple weeks and each time I am more an more impressed with the quality. We have done takedowns and the mat is great for them, actually better than the wresling mats at my school. There is omething about a new wrestling mat. I can not recomend this mat enough. The price for the 10x10 mat is $575 fo 1" thick and $650 for 1.25". I would say get the 1.25 if you can. Either way the price is so good that it is stupid. This has to be the best buy for the money of anything I have ever reviewed. I would have expected to pay 3 times this much, honestly, and I thinl they are worlds better than any other competition. It's awsome to just be able to have your friends come over and roll as hard as you want in your own house (which is the best way to improve your game). The service, quality, and value are all an A+. I will post pics tonite when I get home.

These mats are actually made by Resilite, (they are one of the top, if not the Top wrestling mat manufacturer in America). They have been supplying the NCAA D1 championships for over 46 years. They are softer than Zebra, swain and Dollamur - but are made primarily for wrestlers. The consistency of our home mats are more geared for jiu jitsu training and just rolling on. But I'm surprised, the price of our 5x10 home mat is $239usd with free shipping in the USA! $269cad plus shipping in Canada...

These mats are actually made by Resilite, (they are one of the top, if not the Top wrestling mat manufacturer in America). They have been supplying the NCAA D1 championships for over 46 years. They are softer than Zebra, swain and Dollamur - but are made primarily for wrestlers. The consistency of our home mats are more geared for jiu jitsu training and just rolling on. But I'm surprised, the price of our 5x10 home mat is $239usd with free shipping in the USA! $269cad plus shipping in Canada...

Cmon zebra, that was a 3.5 year bump :p.

I appreciate the bump Zebra.

I am currently looking for mats (or a good wrestling ring) for female vs female wrestling matches. I would prefer something soft to minimize injury.

If anyone has any other suggestions than this thread please contact me!

Back