Hot take - Cowboy isn't that washed, but his style is

He's definitely slowed down a lot. I think you have a point as his style hasn't really evolved much, but age and wear and tear is a factor for sure.

He still looks for those well time high kicks, they just don't fly out of the chamber like they used to.

His style should always make fights competitive though.

He's 100% washed now, I'm actually not that much of a fan of Cowboy himself but I still don't want to see taking huge shots constantly.

The problem with Cowboy is he fights far too often still without recovering, it worked for him when he was younger but he's took a lot of damage in the last year alone, Gaethje, Conor, Pettis and Price haven't done his health any favours.

As far as being a UFC top 10 lightweight, he 100% is " washed" and probably has been over his last handful of fights. If hes ok being outside the top 15 and still being a .500 fighter at that then as long as hes ok with it then that's upto him.Ill give Dana that much credit ( besides feeding him to his nephew), he'll generally look out for " his " guys who have been draws and had taken fights when asked .

Your style looks a lot different when you start slowing down. Cowboy was never the fastest guy in the world, but compared to a few years ago he looks like he's fighting in slow motion. That's not style, that's age.

he still has it in him. but not his best form

Every style gets declared dated, until the next guy who does it well comes along. Striking while avoiding takedowns and being able to sub off the back is outdated? That sounds well-rounded.

He wasn't happy with his Price performance, but he was competitive and drew, and would have lost a narrow split decision if you want to pretend that eye-pokes don't count somehow.

His current bad streak that proves his style is washed up? Started with losses to Feguson, Gaethje, Conor. Name anyone named Khabib who doesn't go 0-3 with that.

He's probably never going to put together another run where he's Top 5 again, but that's as much age and mileage as anything else. His style is fine.

Feel free to talk about what "styles" you think are ones that work. It's almost never about the style. It's about the person applying the style.

Yup, and he's still broke which is why he won't retire. Once UFC releases him after his contract is up (I think he has 3 fights left) he will head to Bellator or One. I could even see Dana giving him 1 more fight then releasing him from his contract to fight elsewhere.
I hope Bellator is smart enough to stay away from Cowboy if he was to be released in the near future. He's well past his prime and brings nothing to the table at this point. Some of their signings have been good. Signings like Cyborg, Davis, Bader, Rory, Bendo and Anderson. Those Fighters were all still top 10 level. Cowboy is no where near that.

First things first - I think he is washed and he should retire. But I think it's more than just being old and shopworn. He had bad match-ups after bad match ups and vs. top flight competition. But his last fight shows something more - his style is kinda outdated in modern MMA. :(

So... why?
He's not a fleet of foot point fighter or in your face dutch stylist, his thing is striking geared against wrestling shots complimented with decent jitz off his back, if he gets taken down. Nowadays the base level of MMA striking (specially at 155!) is a lot better than even 5 years, let alone when Cowboy was in his prime. The wrestlers he chew up before, now can do it all. Maybe two-three years ago I would've said his style is outdated at the elite level, but the game has gone so far that now his style is outdated a level below that.

He is totally fucking up short and stocky wrestlers/grapplers who have loopy hands and stay at kicking distance with him (Iaquinta, Hernandez). But he gets flummoxed by rangier guys, or even people who throw just more of a straight shots (and feints) and are not crashing the distance predictably. His posture is too upright, upper body too stiff, feet stuck in the mud... He can't compete in boxing range, can't chase down mobile strikers and equally can't get away if he's pressured. Dedicated strikers fuck him up badly (Till, Masvidal), but even just more composed fighters who can pressure him relatively safely and are taking the iniciative just outpoints him. Examples are Ferg and the the dollar store Ferguson - Niko Price.

I'm sure some of you who are a lot better with the technique terms and have watched a lot more tape and maybe have practice can add more detail (which I would love to read), but in short this is my take - Cerrone mainly ran out of comfortable match-ups. There is hardly any Patrick Cotes or Rick Storys at WW anymore, and at LW are even less - you gotta look for guys outside the top 20...
200.gif

Cheers!

Decent post. Cerrone is an all time great, we all know that. He’s set for life with his ranch too. I think he really finds something out of coaching young up and coming fighters not just in fighting but in life.

Its tough to say. I thought his style would have matched up well with Gaethje, and then he got wrecked. He does have the issues you claim. He is very Muy Thai based. In every fight they say he is going to work on his boxing and its still so robotic. He just doesn't have the fluidity in his feet and head movement.

They just need to hand pick wrestlers at this point imo if he wants to continue.

I never saw Cerrone struggle that much to find his combos. I know he's more of a kicker, but last night his boxing was terrible. It's been a while since he almost ko'ed Barboza with a jab.

I thought he just looked a step or two slower and some snap was missing off his strikes against price. otherwise, he looked how he always looks.

First things first - I think he is washed and he should retire. But I think it's more than just being old and shopworn. He had bad match-ups after bad match ups and vs. top flight competition. But his last fight shows something more - his style is kinda outdated in modern MMA. :(

So... why?
He's not a fleet of foot point fighter or in your face dutch stylist, his thing is striking geared against wrestling shots complimented with decent jitz off his back, if he gets taken down. Nowadays the base level of MMA striking (specially at 155!) is a lot better than even 5 years, let alone when Cowboy was in his prime. The wrestlers he chew up before, now can do it all. Maybe two-three years ago I would've said his style is outdated at the elite level, but the game has gone so far that now his style is outdated a level below that.

He is totally fucking up short and stocky wrestlers/grapplers who have loopy hands and stay at kicking distance with him (Iaquinta, Hernandez). But he gets flummoxed by rangier guys, or even people who throw just more of a straight shots (and feints) and are not crashing the distance predictably. His posture is too upright, upper body too stiff, feet stuck in the mud... He can't compete in boxing range, can't chase down mobile strikers and equally can't get away if he's pressured. Dedicated strikers fuck him up badly (Till, Masvidal), but even just more composed fighters who can pressure him relatively safely and are taking the iniciative just outpoints him. Examples are Ferg and the the dollar store Ferguson - Niko Price.

I'm sure some of you who are a lot better with the technique terms and have watched a lot more tape and maybe have practice can add more detail (which I would love to read), but in short this is my take - Cerrone mainly ran out of comfortable match-ups. There is hardly any Patrick Cotes or Rick Storys at WW anymore, and at LW are even less - you gotta look for guys outside the top 20...
200.gif

Cheers!
You make lots of good points, but I think you're overlooking a BIG factor: he looked more sluggish than I've ever seen him during this last fight. By far. That's not his style, but speed. On the contrary, I think his style is STILL a great mma style: varried and crisp striking/muay thai with tight ground game/defense. But he was SO SLOW the other night, that of course it looks inefective. Bummer, because he was an exciting fighter. I don't know, I just don't see him beating any remotely top competition.

@Hellowhosthat @linvillegorge @Qays Stetkevich @daltonames
The speed thing I didn't think is that important, but actually is. Thanks for mentioning it, guys.
I thought he just looked a step or two slower and some snap was missing off his strikes against price. otherwise, he looked how he always looks.
And this was @ 170 where he's supposed to be the lighter and quicker guy!
Every style gets declared dated, until the next guy who does it well comes along. Striking while avoiding takedowns and being able to sub off the back is outdated? That sounds well-rounded.
Sub off your back is quickly becomming a thing of the past. Unless you are 2nd degree black belt or some shit, modern fighters have seen this and can deal with a lot of guards pretty well. You are gonna just lose rounds being on your back.
And Cerrone isn't just striking while avoiding TDs. His striking is specialized to avoid TDs. His striking isn't good vs. other strikers. We've seen that tested time after time. His striking is good vs. guys with limited skills on their feet who he has reach on them.

If your striking is great in one special type of match-up, but in all others almost completely disintegrates - sorry, it's not that good.

Guys like colby uzmen cehudo stipe khabib realize you dont neeed to fight anymore you neeed to take the rounds get the points

Guys like cowboy or woodly wont evolve there not gonna figure it out 5 minutes get even smaller when youre being nullified on the cage or youre back.

You gotta be a masvidal costa adesanya gaethje

Youre offence is youre defence and it the only way youl win as a striker vs these guys.. When youre not attacking youre losing.

Donalds a bad mfer man but hes an idiot...somany fights he coulda won with just a game plan.. Heda smoked conor if he didnt trade with him list goes on cowboy ia well rounded and better on the ground. He just wants to fight.. And thats how you lose

Maybe. You have to remember that he has always struggled against top fighters. Now that he is getting older it’s not helping.

Maybe. You have to remember that he has always struggled against top fighters. Now that he is getting older it’s not helping.

This ^
When he lost to Benson and Nate Diaz etc. Was his style outdated or did he just lose?

You can say that about any guy that loses in mma.

Hey if khabib loses his next fight hes outdated. Same with justin. If Usman loses too hes outdated aswell. Actually if any of the champs lose they are outdated.

Back