Television HOUSE OF THE DRAGON (Renewed for Season 2, post #571)

I don't understand. We can't really be interested in house dragon anymore now that we know the shitty end to them.

I don't understand. We can't really be interested in house dragon anymore now that we know the shitty end to them.

And that's the problem; D & D anally raped the ending so spectacularly, they not only fucked season 8, they effectively killed any interest in potential prequel shows. Who gives a fuck about the Long Night when you know the Night King loses his first major battle and gets killed by a 5 foot, 95 lb girl who didn't even have a Full Training Camp going into the fight? Why invest yourself in the story of House Targaryen when you know just how appallingly Dany's character is written in the final season?

I'd be tempted to watch a show on Robert's Rebellion, just to see Prime, Healthy, Motivated Robert with That, God's, I was strong then! Look in his eye. Fuck the rest.

I wouldn't say the ending of the show was perfect but theres a difference between the issues the public at large might have the ravings of a small subset of internet bro's furious at a woman having some importance in the plot despite near a decades worth of setup.

In terms of interest I suspect HBO are probably correct that the more overtly magical side of the story probably has less of it than the political side. Really though a lot is always going to depend on the characters in question, how well written and cast they are.

I'v not read Fire and Blood but I'm guessing it does give the advantage of a good deal more detail to work with than the vague description of the age of heroes.

I hated the last two Seasons of GOT but I'd be willing to give this one a shot especially if Miguel Sapochnik is involved.

Its still an interesting enough universe. If they make a bunch of spin offs and I like even one of them, I'll be happy. But I know that people like to be butt-hurt bitches about stupid shit so they'll just complain.

The end was awful but with that said the first four to six seasons were great. There was nothing better on tv and I still put it over breaking bad although the latter had a way better ending.

Don’t give a fuck about the targs. Do something about someone where I don’t know what happens.

Worst choice if they want to do it PC. Targs are only interesting as a timeline of mad fucks stabbing and fucking each other.

Adapting (and expanding) the adventures of Dunk & Egg would have been better. The Long Night could maybe have worked since there isn't as much information with decent writers. Hose of T gonna be a shitshow.

I hated the last two Seasons of GOT but I'd be willing to give this one a shot especially if Miguel Sapochnik is involved.

I really wanted Nicole Kidmans clone to take on a big medieval genre story

Can she still be in it or did HBO strike her down

Update: July 21, 2020

Game of Thrones Spinoff HOUSE OF THE DRAGON Rumored To Be Casting Its Targaryen Leads

Game of Thrones ended after eight seasons, and for many fans, HBO dropped the ball on how things ended for the heroes and villains of Westeros. The series was still a ratings hit, of course, so the cable network moving forward with a spinoff series, titled House of the Dragon, is no great surprise.

Very little is known about the show beyond the fact it will delve into the history of House Targaryen and take place 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones.

Now, though, new casting rumours indicate that the series is hunting for two female leads. The first is Rhaenyra Targaryen (who will need to be in their late 20s), while the second is Alicent Hightower (who will be slightly older). Both of these characters have been mentioned by author George R.R. Martin in his series of A Song of Ice and Fire novels, and those shed a little more light on what we can expect from these two key characters in the spinoff series.

One of the most beautiful women in Westeros, Rhaenyra attempts to usurp the Iron Throne from her brother Aegon II, in the war known as the Dance of Dragons. Alicent, meanwhile, is Rhaenyra's step-mother and has a bitter rivalry with her.

Martin co-created the series with Ryan Condal, and it's believed that the ten-episode House of the Dragon will begin airing in 2022 (a date which could be pushed back due to COVID-19).

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/h...casting-its-targaryen-leads-a176937#gs.aphy45

Update: September 12, 2019

Second GAME OF THRONES Prequel Foucsing on House Targaryen in the Works at HBO

p0tzVuR.jpg

A second Game of Thrones prequel is in the works at HBO. Sources confirm to The Hollywood Reporter that the premium cable network is near a deal for a pilot order for a prequel set 300 years before the events of the flagship series that tracks the beginnings and the end of House Targaryen. Ryan Condal (Colony) and Game of Thrones author George R.R. Martin will pen the script for the drama, which is based on the latter's Fire & Blood.

The Targaryen prequel is not one of the previously reported prequels that had been in the works at HBO since 2017. Instead, it is a new take on the world that was being developed by Game of Thrones favorite Bryan Cogman. Cogman confirmed earlier this year that the prequel he was working on was not moving forward.

HBO first announced four prequel series in the works and quietly added a fifth one in the months that followed. Of those, three are still active at the premium cabler. HBO programming president Casey Bloys previously told The Hollywood Reporter that he would not do any sort of sequel to its recently wrapped franchise. Showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss are attached as exec producers to all things Game of Thrones but are not actively involved in any of them, especially after the duo departed their overall deal with HBO for a lucrative pact with Netflix.

Of the three active scripts, one of them is in the pilot stage. That drama, which stars Naomi Watts, is being written by Jane Goldman and Martin and takes place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones and chronicles the end of the Age of Heroes, a period in Westeros history marked by legendary figures like "Bran the Builder" and "Lann the Clever," originators of the Stark and Lannister families. Little else is known, which is just as HBO would like it for now, based on the official logline: "Only one thing is for sure: From the horrifying secrets of Westeros' history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend — it's not the story we think we know." The Watts-led pilot wrapped production this summer and is awaiting word on a series pickup.

As for the House Targaryen drama, that is based on Martin's November book that serves as a companion to his A Song of Fire and Ice saga that inspired the flagship series. It begins with Aegon the Conqueror — the creator of the Iron Throne — and recounts generations of the family that featured Daenerys Targaryen (Emilia Clarke) Viserys Targaryen (Harry Lloyd) and Jon Snow (Kit Harington).

Game of Thrones has been a massively important franchise for HBO. The flagship series ended its run with an Emmy record 32 nominations. Game of Thrones ranks as HBO's most-watched scripted original ever. The Game of Thrones library will be a centerpiece of WarnerMedia's forthcoming streaming service, HBO Max.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/game-thrones-second-prequel-works-at-hbo-1239281

<{hughesimpress}>

Fool me once.........fk you.

This could be ok. I think there is enough material from The Princess and the Queen and Fire and Blood to do a something based on the Dance of the Dragons.

My reservations are that those stories are written in the style of historical accounts by a Maester so a lot of dialogue etc will need to be created for the show while the early seasons of Game of Thrones they could just lift it almost word for word from the books (unsurprisingly those seasons were great).

So I think a lot will depend on the quality of the writers involved.

Also the article above is incorrect Rhaenyra did not try to usurp the Throne from Aegon it was the other way around.

Maybe without D&D we get something decent here, I read in another article that Miguel S. will be heavily involved with this.

Why not another GRR Martin book instead? Or Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan?

heh, it's funny how the biggest show on TV now has such a limp reaction to potential follow-ups.

I would say, this might be one of those times to let the property lie fallow a bit, but given the new direction at HBO I guess that ain't happening...

You're insane if you think we get one of these before 2022 or 2023. I'd say that's probably sufficient time for people to chill out and try this again.

Back