How do prime Aldo and Mendes do against today's fw division?

Max is Aldo's stylistic nightmare so I don't think Aldo should be a favorite in any equation with Max Holloway.

Max can follow his pivots into another stance and kick. It is impossible to see Aldo win on paper. It might be the worst obstacle any fighter ever had. Max Holloway is strictly designed to beat Aldo.

Chad does better against Max but loses the standup battle in a long stretch.

Aldo beats everyone else. Aldo would beat every fighter ever (except Max) if all fighters were same size.

Prime Aldo was something else. Would be a much more competitive fight against Max, for sure. Mendes would lose to Max, Volk and Zabit but would definitely be in the top 5.

He still runs the division. His toughest test would be Max, and an Aldo who could kick effectively and didn't slow down as much would have murdered that lead leg. Volk gave Max issues with his kicks, just imagine prime Aldo.

People also forget Aldo had Max rocked a few times in that first fight and was winning until he gassed out. He rocked Max with his boxing and a knee later in a fight. You see how hard Aldo hits when your realize Poirier was the only other guy to hurt Max like Aldo did.

If you've never seen Aldo/Mendes 2, you're doing yourself a disservice. That fight has some of the most tense, high octane stand up in close quarters with great wrestling and kicks. The reflexes Aldo showed in that fight were insane. His TDD was so good that he reversed one into back control and another into full mount. The one he gave up, he got up seconds.

Just look at this shit...

tumblr_negawrDR611rkj1e8o1_400.gifv

He just isn't the same guy.

Last edited:
I’d favor prime aldo against anyone 145 or lighter except Conor.

Thanks for posting the video. That was when both fighters were in their prime which is so important in MMA. A lot of casuals see a few losses at the tail end of a successful career and assume that fighter simply couldn't hang with the new guys i.e. evolution and that is generally not the case at all. Age plus wear & tear can humble talent along with loss of confidence...it's a continual process of growth, peak and then decline...the best guys in 2020 might be getting brutalized in 2021 or 2022...expiration dates matter...

Last edited:
A leg kick heavy Aldo beats all of them.

He would always be a titleholder or title contender. I don't know if he would beat Max in a 5 rounder.

Max is Aldo's stylistic nightmare so I don't think Aldo should be a favorite in any equation with Max Holloway.

Max can follow his pivots into another stance and kick. It is impossible to see Aldo win on paper. It might be the worst obstacle any fighter ever had. Max Holloway is strictly designed to beat Aldo.

Chad does better against Max but loses the standup battle in a long stretch.

Aldo beats everyone else. Aldo would beat every fighter ever (except Max) if all fighters were same size.
No way. Prime kicking Aldo would take out Max's legs. Max's attacks aren't diverse enough. He started to kick in the Volk 2 fight but abandoned the kicks later on. Prime Aldo takes it in my mind. I think prime Mendes is a fun matchup for Max. The wrestling of Mendes would give Max fits but Max would light up Mendes on the feet. It would be a fun fight. I think Max might win that one but too bad my time machine is broken.

Prime Mendes vs Volk would be a very interesting fight. Prime Aldo beats both. Max would probably beat Aldo whose style is more suited against stocky wrestle-boxers.

how would prime Bob Cousy do against Russel Westbrook , How would prime Chuck or Tito do against the 205's .... every sport evolves get your head out of you asses . Theyre getting beat cause theyre out skilled

He's never had a gas tank. He was gassing out 10 years ago. The only reason he won his fights was because he was knocking people out in the early rounds. Most fighters would turn it around in championship rounds like Hominick was able to do. The sad part is he's only 33, but now he gasses out by the 3rd round.

prime chad was a monster. he had a good combination of power, speed, and wrestling. its a shame he never got the belt

Back