how do yall suppress desire for crap foods?

myung76

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so up til now, i would eat americanized greasy chinese food like 2-3 times a week.
im trying to cut down now, so i can get somewhat toned/ripped for summer. especially because i dont have time to workout for the next month

how do yall mentally not cross that treshhold of "fuck it, im just gonna eat it"

so up til now, i would eat americanized greasy chinese food like 2-3 times a week.
im trying to cut down now, so i can get somewhat toned/ripped for summer. especially because i dont have time to workout for the next month

how do yall mentally not cross that treshhold of "fuck it, im just gonna eat it"

I use things other than toned/ripped as a motivation. I'm more concerned with being strong than being pretty. I find that strength is a proper motivator to do the right then when it comes to diet & exercise. If you want to be pretty, and learn tricks that pretty people use, you're probably better off @ BodyBuilding.com.

I just think, do I really need this? Do I really need this bottle of mountain dew? Then I think about what putting that crap into my body does to me and how unhealthy it is. That's usually enough to end my craving.

I don't, and I am not a pretty man. I will send you a photo of me at my worst and that will make you fucking anorexic.

I don't like junk food all that well so it's not really something I have to suppress but one thing you might wanna try is throwing on a pair of tighty whiteys and eating a piece of cake in the mirror and let that image stick with you every time you pull into Wendy's.

The desire usually only lasts for about 15-20 mins. Find something to do during this period that keeps your mind busy, while drinking some water etc. That usually helps distract me.

Sometimes It helps if you have something else to eat, something healthy and sth that wont really much affect your progress if you eat a lot of it. Like youre really craving something sugary and you have this cartoon like amazing cake in the fridge. In such a case I just eat an apple or two or a bunch of nuts and rasins or some dry toast with some vegetable paste, maybe some tuna with salade. And lots of water. Just sth to fill up my stomach so it stops.

In my experience the major factor in such cases is whether or not you live alone/someone with same goal or not. If Im alone, I never really buy sh*t food so I cannot eat any. With family, its much much harder and Its either willpower or what I said above about eating something else utill full.

eat good food.
Fill your stomach with some chicken curry, a good ass salad, some mushrooms, etc, a cupcake just doesnt sound as good.

You just have to stick to it. That is basically it.

I talked to the dietitian I'm seeing about this.

Posting your stats, success photos, lifts or whatever, or talking about it with people is important. In most people who have a hard time with eating or over eating, including basically all fat people, the dopamine receptors in your brain become less sensitive and over developed. You have to eat more and more shit to get the same high and it is hard to resist.

In a partial way, your pleasure centers being activated by your fitness success is the antidote to your over eating - you have to make a plan and suffer through it until you see some pounds drop, and then be happy about that - greatly happy.

Also, sleeping more helps overcome some of the addictive effects of food. If you don't sleep 8+ hours it is much harder to resist the overwealming brain chemistry driving you to eat.

Drink water during the day.
Chew sugar-free gum.

eat good healthy foods that you enjoy. healthy food doesnt have to taste like shit.

ill take a quality meal over shit any day of the week.

eat good food.
Fill your stomach with some chicken curry, a good ass salad, some mushrooms, etc, a cupcake just doesnt sound as good.

Yeah if you're any good at cooking good food tastes MUCH better than shitty food.

Just the smell of McDonalds (that telltale "they didn't change the fryer oil and it's started to turn" aroma) make me mildly nauseous.

I've slummed it while on the road or across the country before and afterwards came to the conclusion that I would have been better off going hungry and drinking water because of how my stomach felt after slumming it.

Learn how to cook if you can't already. You'll be surprised just how good you can make some of those "bland" healthy foods taste with the right know-how.

Also, try to find substitutes for the foods you crave. Instead of ice cream, freeze some Greek yogurt and mix berries in it (or whatever you like). Make your own burgers at home with extra lean ground beef instead of hitting up the drive-thru. It takes some getting used to, but after a while, I found my tastes were changing and I didn't crave the junk food as much. That being said, there's nothing wrong with "caving in" from time to time as long as you can keep it under control.

Yeah if you're any good at cooking good food tastes MUCH better than shitty food.

Just the smell of McDonalds (that telltale "they didn't change the fryer oil and it's started to turn" aroma) make me mildly nauseous.

I've slummed it while on the road or across the country before and afterwards came to the conclusion that I would have been better off going hungry and drinking water because of how my stomach felt after slumming it.

I love shitty food. I love fat and salt and carbs. I love fast food.

What a lot of people don't realize is that those things taste 100% better if you eat them once or twice a week. That coke tastes sweeter, those pancakes feel fluffier.

But honestly, man, if you're hungry, you need to eat. It's just not good for you to go hungry like that, bad for system.

Chew sugar-free gum.

Does that work for you? I've read that it releases stomach acid and tricks the body into expecting carbs. When you don't get it, it sets your body up for wanting to find them.

Does that work for you? I've read that it releases stomach acid and tricks the body into expecting carbs. When you don't get it, it sets your body up for wanting to find them.

I've found that in the short term at least it helps me. But like you also mentioned sleep is a biggie for optimal health and long term just feeling better. IMO intermittent fasting helps as well after you get use to it. I just don't crave foods as much as i once did. I don't have that carb "crash" or the i gotta get some food now! even after i lift heavy i can usually wait an easy 1-2 hours after to eat.

Another trick if you want to call it that for me is to get a decent sized salad w/ tons of greens in it and avocado or olive oil etc. before i eat my protein/carb rest of meal. After i eat a big salad, 6-8oz. of meat and a sweet potato or whatever starch im pretty damn full. Chocolate covered almonds help with my sweet tooth as well.

I had a serious problem with binge eating (really I still do). I was up to 325 at 5'8. I started dieting at the beginning of the year and I am down over 40 pounds. The key is just not ever rationalizing eating that garbage unless it is a free meal (I give myself 2 free meals a week where I eat whatever I want...scheduling them makes it easy to follow...if I ever want something really bad I can say "well I can have that tomorrow night for my free meal). You really just have to decide to not break your diet and just stick to it. Any time you think "man, I should just eat this junk food" just DON'T. You have to make sure that your diet isn't retarded though, because if you are constantly hungry or are depriving yourself your ability to resist the urge is going to be minimal.

That is really my advice. It is like stopping smoking or doing drugs. Every time you want to eat shitty food, or do drugs, or smoke, just don't.

Willpower.

Eating good food 24/7 which seem like cheat meals. brb eating a pound of bacon at once and not giving 1 fuck.

Scheduled cheat meals.

Last edited:
Try to make your diet work eating WHOLE nutritious foods YOU like. I found that for ME, the biggest things that get me eating shit foods are stress, diet boredom, being bored and trying to cut corners. I recently found out my diet exactly but it is really expensive and requires some cooking time. One of the things about getting older, it can be really hard to juggle. Esp if you have a shitty metabolism, not much time or money and really love the taste of good food and not cardboard. Oh and food sensitives dont help much either. I usually end up giving in. Where are my pop tarts?:)

Back