How exactly does one gameplan for Usman?

I mean he ate some big punches from Colby and never really looked hurt,

Dude has good TDD, wrestling , power, a granite chin and good ass cardio. Not the best striking technique wise but his power and chin make up for it, technique is decent. Also a BJJ black belt.

He looks like a tank right now.
Don't even know how someone could gameplan to best him?

Maybe a bouncy Wonderboy style to touch him and run away for 25 minutes lol

Good luck fellas
Usman can be hurt to the body.

When Colby hit him with the "nut shot" it actually hurt his body. Also, Usman let Colby have free leg kicks and Colby isn't even good at that.

You beat Usman by 1) having good enough TDD to keep him off you and 2) landing repeated leg/body shots. A fighter like Volkanovski at 170 would wreck Usman.

Usman can be hurt to the body.

When Colby hit him with the "nut shot" it actually hurt his body. Also, Usman let Colby have free leg kicks and Colby isn't even good at that.

You beat Usman by 1) having good enough TDD to keep him off you and 2) landing repeated leg/body shots. A fighter like Volkanovski at 170 would wreck Usman.

Good enough TDD to keep it standing is one thing, but the cardio to keep defending the takedowns and still not slow down on the feet is another.

Also, at that point, Us man's opponents don't have enough pop in their punches to hurt him so he can just walk them down.

Mind you he just TKOd arguably the best wrestler other than him so from this point on, he will resort back to his bread and butter - wrestling pressure and physicality.

"Volkanovski" just proves my point, there is no such fighter at 170.

Us man's physical attributes are to dominant right now and his striking is formidable enough to not get tooled on the feet.

You have a few guys at WW that are going to be very tough fights for him. The style to beat him is a good wrestle boxer, similar to Colby, wrestling cancels out and we got a kickboxing match. We saw that this weekend and Usman came close to a L. I think it's a striker with good tdd and movement, hard to take down and will have a clear advantage standing.

Ponzonibhio
Wonderboy
Masvidal

Colby has no power and actually wobbled Usman acouple times. If Jorge can avoid the take down he is going to KO Usman.

Jorge can maybe defend a couple TDs but I dont think he can keep Usman off him for an entire 25 minutes without slowing down and losing a lot of pop in his strikes.

Usman overwhelms Masvidal with his power, wrestling and physicality.

You have a few guys at WW that are going to be very tough fights for him. The style to beat him is a good wrestle boxer, similar to Colby, wrestling cancels out and we got a kickboxing match. We saw that this weekend and Usman came close to a L. I think it's a striker with good tdd and movement, hard to take down and will have a clear advantage standing.

Ponzonibhio
Wonderboy
Masvidal

Good TDD won't cut.
You need elite TDD and elite cardio to maintain a pace and striking after defending a million TDs.

None of those guys can keep up IMO.

Usman threw like that because of his opponent. His striking isn't advanced, but he's strong, rangey, and is a bully in the clinch and on the fence. If someone is worried about the TD, it's even more dire. You'd need a Robert Whitaker type of fighter. No such thing exists at WW right now (maybe?).

The opponent needs some grappling chops. There needs to be a plan B, C, and possibly D to stop that pressure and caliber of grappling. In addition to the sprawl for the double you'd need a whizzer for the single leg attempt. A good frame in the open, awareness of the cage (either for avoiding the clinch and TD or knowledge of how to use the cage to wall walk away from the mat).

Plus, the fight may get to the ground anyway. Escapes, controlling posture and use of a butterfly guard to keep Usman from advancing to buy time to get back to the feet, etc. Lots of opening, closing and transitioning between guard types while on bottom. Lot of nuances.

Usually, a sprawl and foot work isn't enough. Especially against the chain. There's 2nd and 3rd order effects that need to be planned for. Usually, strikers hadn't evolved their game to deal with all of that. Colby having a strong wrestling background caused Usman not to pursue wrestling in the fight.

Usman will not kick box to win against a guy he feels he can control like a ragdoll. Usman looked at Woodley one time and knew Woodley would fold under the pressure.

Ryan Hall on all acai diet?

How exactly does one gameplan for Usman?

tenor.gif

I mean he ate some big punches from Colby and never really looked hurt,

Dude has good TDD, wrestling , power, a granite chin and good ass cardio. Not the best striking technique wise but his power and chin make up for it, technique is decent. Also a BJJ black belt.

He looks like a tank right now.
Don't even know how someone could gameplan to best him?

Maybe a bouncy Wonderboy style to touch him and run away for 25 minutes lol

Good luck fellas

My stock for Usman didn’t move, he outstruck Colby in a kickboxing match? So what, he not out striking any elite striker like that so he will go back to his grappling.

Maz has a real shot, sure he probably gets TD but I doubt he gets finished and he will get back up and employ his vicious style at some point

I found it interesting that Kamaru doesn’t want that fight, he talked about Leon and GSP. when Maz is right there, the duck is on

If Colby had power he would've finished him inside 3 rounds. So that's all you need, an elite wrestler with power in his hands. Maybe Woodley if he learns to stop backing against the cage...

prime hendricks might have been the solution.

Lmao first of all 99 percent of welters out there got pretty bad striking technique ( bad defense, bad footwork, no rhythm, no kicks).. it aint like Usman is trying to beat Hagler, Duran or Ali in a boxing match lmao. The gap is not day and night as you think. So you add wresslin to the equation and it becomes extremely difficult for these strikers to ktfo Usman.

Supposedly a fighter with better striking and impeccable tdd should be the guy. That’s on paper, though. We all know that even guys like that will struggle with the takedown threat. That’s why we have seen time after time wresslers with meh striking outstrike much better pure strikers. A wressler that could throw bombs could be the answer ? Maybe...where is that guy, though?.. Usman is a very hard fight for anyone at the end of the day.

prime hendricks might have been the solution.
Pretty much Hendricks and Gsp are the only guys who come to my mind.

Anyone with mediocre or better striking and elite tdd will pick him apart on the feet.
Who got that nowadays at 170? lol ...

Last edited:
My stock for Usman didn’t move, he outstruck Colby in a kickboxing match? So what, he not out striking any elite striker like that so he will go back to his grappling.

Maz has a real shot, sure he probably gets TD but I doubt he gets finished and he will get back up and employ his vicious style at some point

I found it interesting that Kamaru doesn’t want that fight, he talked about Leon and GSP. when Maz is right there, the duck is on

Usman isnt Till, Askren or Nate bro.
This is a much stronger, bigger, more powerful guy with excellent cardio. You're kidding yourself if you're not at least favoring Usman.

Also, he clearly said "if Dana and the ufc think that's who's next up then that's who's next up, I'm not rejecting any fights."

On the other hand, Masvidal is the one who hasn't said a fucking word about a title shot, kind of strange. Maybe cuz he knows he isn't elite and never was elite.

Lol dude was losing on the score cards...the ref messed it up for Colby.

If they hadn't had stopped it, Colby would have lost the round and with it the decision. If they scored it 10-8 it wouldn't have even been a split decision.

Back