How Good Was Conor McGregor?

To be fair, i don't think his last fight was a cardio thing. His leg got absolutely mangled. Then he got KO'd.
Ya that layoff kept him from keeping up with the Jones's. He just had no defence for something that you can't have no defence for these days or you will get destroyed

He's still great at a few things, imo top 5 striker with his attributes... but the game has elevated and he has not.

And it's more than just leg kicks and cardio.

More and more, it's required to be a rounded fighter.. to compete in every position.

A modern top fighter who's rounded can gameplan to beat Connor with his 1 dimensional approach.

That goes for any top fighter with a lopsided game... except for beast wrestlers, like Khabib.

And it's more than just being rounded.. so many coaches fail their fighters by not drilling the perfect gameplan for the opponent.. and it's shocking, the disregard.

ATT nailed it vs Conor, obviously.

Last edited:
He was pretty fucking awesome considering he demolished several top level fighters and made it look easy. It just so happens on sherdog that as soon as you lose you turn into a tomato can if people don't like you.

He was all right, never defended a title and always got dana's favors losing to diaz says it all tbh.
He didn't lose to diaz via skills he lost because he has subpar cardio and took a fight 2 weightclasses up. I would say that fight is an outlier. When it comes to conors skills I remove both diaz fights and look at him without as I think that's the real conor. That being said he got dominated by khabib and tkod by porier so I'm certainly not impressed by his recent career

Of course he is/was a top level fighter! I think he should’ve stayed in FW, he could dominate that division. LWs can take his shots whereas FWs would crumble
I truly wonder what conor would be if he somehow managed to stay at fw. I know he looked like skelator at weigh ins there but he was a monster.

He's still great at a few things, imo top 5 striker with his attributes... but the game has elevated and he has not.

And it's more than just leg kicks and cardio.

More and more, it's required to be a rounded fighter.. to compete in every position.

A modern top fighter who's rounded can gameplan to beat Connor with his 1 dimensional approach.

And it's more than just being rounded.. so many coaches still fail their fighters by not drilling the perfect gameplan for their opponent.

That goes for any top fighter with a lopsided game... except for beast wrestlers, like Khabib.
I think hes pretty well rounded to be honest in the sense there is very few guys who can completely dominate him on the ground. Khabib is on a different planet to be fair. Very early conor was a fish out of water on the ground. Not so much now. The leg kicks, cardio and khabib are his weaknesses

I’m starting to think he has less talent than Nick Diaz,

And much, much better matchups.

He’s around the same talent level as Nate Diaz but Nate fights tougher opponents so his record is shit.
This. I was a very hardcore fan during Conor's rise, and there's no way to convince me that he didn't benefit a lot from favorable match-making. MAYBE if he were brought up like other contenders he might've won the belt, but I highly doubt it.

Still, credit to him. He won the big fights when he needed to win them, but I think there's a big difference in how well a fighter does when fighting for a championship versus how well they do when they're fighting a tough 5-10 ranked guy on the under-card who's also a stylistic nightmare. Conor never showed that.

Nick and Nate are very talented. What you on about?
Hes not saying they aren't talented, he means that they aren't the super elite but are still very very good, and that the only reason conor has a better record is bc he fought easier opponents than the Diaz bros fought but in terms of actual overall talent, they are both equal

He was only noteworthy when he did this to win:

d12b54479d5db99d76bb840f018b054d_crop_exact.jpg

Just lol.

He didn't lose to diaz via skills he lost because he has subpar cardio and took a fight 2 weightclasses up. I would say that fight is an outlier. When it comes to conors skills I remove both diaz fights and look at him without as I think that's the real conor. That being said he got dominated by khabib and tkod by porier so I'm certainly not impressed by his recent career
Diaz runs marathons and trains his cardio like a nutcase, thats skill, mcnuggets was crushed by diaz's skill his skill being his smothering pressure and his great jiujutsu, he made mcnuggets tap

Last edited:
At one time one of the best pressure fighters/counter punchers In the game. His time w ido portal saw him move like a snake and thus we saw him use smooth cat-like ability to escape from takedown,as seen in fight w siver.
He was very flowy and this allowed him to strike with full power wherever his body was positioned.

Obviously he had conditioning issues, but this seemed less a factor at 145.

At FW, great. Among the best ever. But he had favorable stylistic matchups, the only unfavorable matchup was short notice Chad who gave him a tough fight.

At LW/WW he is a great striker and good overall. But not as good as people think. His so called best year, when he beat Eddie (who was his best stylistic matchup among the top 10 LW's at that time), was the same year he got finished by short notice Nate Diaz, and barely won the rematch in which he shamefully ran like a coward multiple times throughout multiple rounds.

Overall he is a top MMA striker and a good overall fighter. Factoring in the mind games/trash talk and his opponents weakened mental state and Conor can be seen as a great fighter. But he is not this legend, this mythical near unbeatable fighter that some like to proclaim.

His win over Eddie is a masterpiece. His win over Aldo was a perfectly placed punch, but he should've rematched him. His win over Mendes was good.
The rest of it is not particularly significant to me.

meh.

Conor was a better salesman than a fighter.

Which is a shame because he really did have an excellent opportunity to be an all-time great.

Only great @ FW mostly due a hooge size advantage and he himself proclaimed himself beating on midgets

Good but not great LW. Favorable style matchup against Eddie. KOd Buchinger who was a decent LW. His fights with Nate even tho @ 170 they were LWs not cutting, Dustin rematch and Khabib showed hes not near the same devastating force when he cant dwarf midgets by his own words

Outclassing Eddie for the belt and being the toughest tittle challenger of GOAT LW Khabib certainly qualifies him as great. His fights with Nate are classics.

He's Diaz brother level talent.

Had a few really great fights though. Or maybe just two.

Back