How good was Dean Lister?

Last edited:
Very solid BJJ but wasn't enough to take him to the elite level of MMA. He wasn't an easy out though, I don't know that anyone was trying to get matched up with him.

WTF, never seen that. Creepy as hell. Anyone know what happened toward the end when Freddy Krueger looked like he was going at him?
EDIT: just saw the ripsta619
post. I guess I can understand not shooting the guy, but at least submit him or something instead of letting him crawl back out.
Yeh when tweak grabbed the hammer I don't think I could've remained as calm as Dean did. Lister was armed, and lucky for tweak he played it very cool.

That guy doesn't even look human.

Yeh when tweak grabbed the hammer I don't think I could've remained as calm as Dean did. Lister was armed, and lucky for tweak he played it very cool.

That guy doesn't even look human.
I had someone fucking around in my basement last year. I went down there but they were either gone, or hiding somewhere. If I would've seen some shit like that I would be traumatized for life. Although I'm not sure who would look worse-the tweaker or me in the middle of the night.

I had someone fucking around in my basement last year. I went down there but they were either gone, or hiding somewhere. If I would've seen some shit like that I would be traumatized for life.

brah, you'd be seeing that alien looking motherfucker in the corner of your eye every time you're in the basement

brah, you'd be seeing that alien looking motherfucker in the corner of your eye every time you're in the basement
Even better, I went down there with a fucking steak knife. It was all I had. And I'm a small guy. Meth Man would've totally gotten the better of me.

Even better, I went down there with a fucking steak knife. It was all I had. And I'm a small guy. Meth Man would've totally gotten the better of me.

He most likely would've hid your body in the water heater, put on your clothes pretending to be you and continued living life with your wife for years to come

Fucking gorilla on the mats

I wouldnt mind doing some lessons under him and getting to know his thoughts and approach to grappling as a whole.

Ive been rolling for about 17yrs and I still get much insight from various instructors. Sometimes they reveal a perspective I may never have thought about and it really breaks through in my game.

Me and my wife where in San Diego in September and we walked by a gym called "victory MMA". Me being a smartass I told my wife "I wonder what local tomato can teaches here". She goes "let's go in and find out".

I walk in and the first person who greets me is the owner Dean Lister (Homer: "doh"). My wife could tell by the way I talked to him and my facial expression that I screwed up on the "local tomato can" remark

When I first started to see him fight in King Of The Cage I was sure he would be the next UFC champ of his weight class and dominate for years. Was he like most big name grapplers and he just didn't want to put in the effort to make those MMA big bucks?

He was very good, but I feel he was an early example of a BJJ guy that couldn't exactly impose his ground game in MMA context against the elite. My old coach Dave Terrell actually defeated him in a grappling match back in the day, very talented dude to be competitive with him in my opinion. He had a solid career; nothing too memorable for folks that didn't follow him during his competitive days, but it was good to see someone of his level competing in MMA when he did.

Really though by the time Lister was involved in MMA you already had cross training being very widespread, if anything I think he might do better today than he did back then as you have less very high level sub grappling around now.
So he'd be a modern day Ryan Hall or Kron Gracie?

Really though by the time Lister was involved in MMA you already had cross training being very widespread, if anything I think he might do better today than he did back then as you have less very high level sub grappling around now.

I saw him fight mainly in Japan (where I live), and the cross-training of disciplines was definitely not a thing then.

Who knows how he would do now...but I think most fighters could defend his sub attempts better now (than in his day) and he would definitely be going up against way better strikers now.

Jarl

When I first started to see him fight in King Of The Cage I was sure he would be the next UFC champ of his weight class and dominate for years. Was he like most big name grapplers and he just didn't want to put in the effort to make those MMA big bucks?

He subbed Jeremy Horn a couple times so I guess he has decent skills.

He was very good, but I feel he was an early example of a BJJ guy that couldn't exactly impose his ground game in MMA context against the elite. My old coach Dave Terrell actually defeated him in a grappling match back in the day, very talented dude to be competitive with him in my opinion. He had a solid career; nothing too memorable for folks that didn't follow him during his competitive days, but it was good to see someone of his level competing in MMA when he did.
I trained at Cesar’s for a bit back in day . Does Dave still have his Bjj school still ? Haven’t heard much about NorCal Fightng Alliance (?) lately . Never rolled with Dave but he’ was super nice guy and showed me some stuff once when I was there after class briefly .

I trained at Cesar’s for a bit back in day . Does Dave still have his Bjj school still ? Haven’t heard much about NorCal Fightng Alliance (?) lately . Never rolled with Dave but he’ was super nice guy and showed me some stuff once when I was there after class briefly .
Yes, the gym is in Santa Rosa! I traind there until 2018 -- Dave is a fucking animal. I've trained with a lost of beasts at many different gyms (I now live here in Pittsburgh, PA), but no one touches Dave. I'm not sure how his relationship is with Caesar these days. Back when I was training with him, he spoke respectfully about him, but I think he was upset that Caesar visited some Gracie Barra gyms but not his or something, not sure. Caesar Gracie gyms are all full of killers man. There was always some drama going around, but the quality of training was always top notch.

Back