How good was Fedor really? Was he truly elite?

I don’t like talking about this as it comes off as bragging but Fedor cut in front of me in line to get ice cream once and lets just say this…

Fedor was having ice cream thru a straw for a month after.
didnt realize chuck norris had an account here.

Alot of people argue the Tim Sylvia and Arlovski wins, but at that time both fighters were still ranked. Some places rank Arlovski #2 to #5 when he fought Fedor.

Big Nog was the legitimate HW goat at the time, until Fedor. How Fedor handled Big Nog and CroCop was amazing.

My only complaint was I felt Fedor fell in love with his hands later and should have stuck with his sambo more often, but that's easy to say now.

So yes, he was that good.
I agree that he relied too much on his hands later on but you got to figure Fedor’s body was breaking down at that point from all the years of Sambo alongside MMA…

His grappling was amazing during most of his 10 years undefeated.

He was elite, and probably the most well rounded HW of his era and maybe even the one after.

Was he the unbeatable, almighty God of combat, who easily beats every fighter that ever lived, that Shertards paint him as? Not even close.

He is the HW GOAT as of now though and his accomplishments will be almost impossible to repeat just because of how MMA is now. Nobody is going unbeaten for a decade in the UFC because these days you don't get 3 cans to whoop on between every world class fighter you face.

I would take peak Fedor 03-05 vs any fighter in MMA history.

Top fighters nowaday fight 1-3 times a year against quality opponents.

Fedor fought at least 1-3 times a year against quality opponents, with some cans added on top of that.
Did he though? 1-3 per year against quality plus a few cans?
So some years he fought 4-5 times with 3 being top quality?
2000 he had his first 5 fights. 2001 he had 5 fights.
2002 he had 3 and 2003 he had 5. 2004 he had 4.

During his first 5 years he fought 22 fights but that was the tournament era and most were cans. Big Nog x3, Randleman, Coleman & Arona that's 4 top level opponents. Babalu and Gary Goodridge aren't top opponents.

2005- 3 fights with 2 cans and one top level in Cro Cop
2006- 2 fights Coleman and Mark Hunt (is that 2 top level or was Hunt a can/ just a kickboxer)
2007- 2 fights MW Linland and Freakshow HMC
2008- 1 fight with Big Timmy
2009- Arlovski and Brett Rogers (is that 1 top 1 can)

10 fights and 5 years of is 10 year unbeaten streak did not include more then 1 fight with a "Top Level" HW per year. He is still pretty GOATy as a HW but Stipe with a 20-4 record has far more high level wins and lost only 4 times and has wins over all but the Struve loss. He would likely have avenged that one as well had Struve ever gotten near the level Stipe rose to after that fight.

IMO Stipe > Fedor at HW.

7-0 against UFC HW champs. Come on. Of course he's elite. Best ever? It's hard to say that. Ain't a pony can't be rode, ain't a cowboy can't be throwed.
It's a high stake game of inches. He got clipped a few times, it's bound to happen with that style where you wade in, and it's MMA. In boxing you have a few undefeated champions, but you have time to recover after a knockdown, a luxury not granted in MMA. The only high level HW boxer I know of that was never dropped is George Chuvalo, but he was still TKOd two or three times. Ali, Lewis, Louis, Foreman, Marciano, Tyson, Frasier, Fury, all have been dropped multiple times. If that were MMA, you get jumped on and pounded, probably out. So losses in MMA are more forgivable. Shit happens. It doesn't take away from greatness.

As far as the greatest of all time? That's something that exists only in the mind of fans. We idolize, because if another mere man can be seemingly immortal, then maybe we can too.

But at the end of the day, Fedor is just another person, with the same Oxygen, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, and Carbon molecules making up his body as mine, yours, and the thread starter's. Nothing too special at the end of the day, just a monkey that learned to talk, do a couple judo throws, and wing a couple punches.

dude watch his fights, realize that at that time, this was the greatest most modern events, and make your own opinion. only one HW during that era took out the murderers row of elite HWs that existed in PRIDE at that time. only one. meanwhile UFC had andrei arlovski who kept getting starched by tim sylvia, and fighters like paul buentello and justin eilers. LOLOLOL.

Did he though? 1-3 per year against quality plus a few cans?
So some years he fought 4-5 times with 3 being top quality?
2000 he had his first 5 fights. 2001 he had 5 fights.
2002 he had 3 and 2003 he had 5. 2004 he had 4.

During his first 5 years he fought 22 fights but that was the tournament era and most were cans. Big Nog x3, Randleman, Coleman & Arona that's 4 top level opponents. Babalu and Gary Goodridge aren't top opponents.

2005- 3 fights with 2 cans and one top level in Cro Cop
2006- 2 fights Coleman and Mark Hunt (is that 2 top level or was Hunt a can/ just a kickboxer)
2007- 2 fights MW Linland and Freakshow HMC
2008- 1 fight with Big Timmy
2009- Arlovski and Brett Rogers (is that 1 top 1 can)

10 fights and 5 years of is 10 year unbeaten streak did not include more then 1 fight with a "Top Level" HW per year. He is still pretty GOATy as a HW but Stipe with a 20-4 record has far more high level wins and lost only 4 times and has wins over all but the Struve loss. He would likely have avenged that one as well had Struve ever gotten near the level Stipe rose to after that fight.

IMO Stipe > Fedor at HW.
No offense and all that but prime Fedor would Zulu slow-motion Stipe. Would not be close.

How good was Fedor?

I have a hard time genuinely believing that Fedor is truly elite and up there with goats such as

GSP
Anderson
MM
Jones
DC

Fedors record was too padded he fought in such a different weak era and when Fedor came up against semi modern MMA fighters he got beaten badly and could not hang

Some say that he could not hang because of his age. I do not believe this one bit. The real issue was he came up against modern MMA fighters. Isn't is such a coincidence he only started to lose once he faced true elite HWs and all of a sudden he was "out of his prime."

Anderson wrecked Hendo, Fedor a HW got wrecked by Hendo.

Werdum stopped Fedor

And I believe prime Fedor would lose to

Poatan
Anderson
Cain
DC
Aspinal
Gane
Nganu
Black Beast
Jones
Overseen

Fedor has such a padded record and had huge holes in his game

Fedor had poor Boxing, poor fight IQ, poor bottom game. Jones would take him down and elbow him to oblivion.

Fedor was a good fighter but should not be compared to the true elite.

Fedor's myth is more folk lore and myth. His best wins are Cro cop and Nog. Cro cop and nog are good but have glaring holes in their game.
"he fought in a different weak era"

Dude, at no point in history has there ever been a more stacked heavyweight division than Pride's. The UFC has NEVER had a HW division that could touch theirs.

So the opposite of what you said, is the actual reality. Fedor went undefeated in MMA history's MOST STACKED HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION

fraud he was lucky he didn't come to the ufc because he would have been exposed like his good friend crocop by a beast of a cawlmedian.

Dude, at no point in history has there ever been a more stacked heavyweight division than Pride's. The UFC has NEVER had a HW division that could touch theirs.

So the opposite of what you said, is the actual reality. Fedor went undefeated in MMA history's MOST STACKED HEAVYWEIGHT DIVISION
I think TS has Fedor mixed up with Gary Goodridge…

How good was Fedor?

I have a hard time genuinely believing that Fedor is truly elite and up there with goats such as

GSP
Anderson
MM
Jones
DC

Fedors record was too padded he fought in such a different weak era and when Fedor came up against semi modern MMA fighters he got beaten badly and could not hang

Some say that he could not hang because of his age. I do not believe this one bit. The real issue was he came up against modern MMA fighters. Isn't is such a coincidence he only started to lose once he faced true elite HWs and all of a sudden he was "out of his prime."

Anderson wrecked Hendo, Fedor a HW got wrecked by Hendo.

Werdum stopped Fedor

And I believe prime Fedor would lose to

Poatan
Anderson
Cain
DC
Aspinal
Gane
Nganu
Black Beast
Jones
Overseen

Fedor has such a padded record and had huge holes in his game

Fedor had poor Boxing, poor fight IQ, poor bottom game. Jones would take him down and elbow him to oblivion.

Fedor was a good fighter but should not be compared to the true elite.

Fedor's myth is more folk lore and myth. His best wins are Cro cop and Nog. Cro cop and nog are good but have glaring holes in their game.
Room Temperature IQ for sure.

Fedor has the most HW 10 top wins of all time (Big Nog is 2nd)

He went undefeated in the hardest division to go undefeated in (HW has a much higher finishing rate than any other division by far)

Going undefeated at HW for 10 years is insane when facing top competiton when one stray punch can easily end you.

Stacked does not mean good. Could any of those guys beat Jones? Or stipe? Or poatan? Or even DC?

Fedor was fighting cans in pride. Hong man choi

Back