How good was Somrak Khamsing?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
When it comes to GOATS of Muay thai, we hear names like Apidej, Diselnoi, Samart. And we hear guys like Saenchai as well.

Does someone know it's realy true Somrak doesn't have titles because they refused to give him title shots because they didn't want him to beat their fighters?

How good was Somrak Khamsing?

anorak would probably answer you if you PM him Somrak beat fighters that where or would became champions maybe his managment just sucked.

I've always heard this but seems strange considering how popular he was because of the Olympic gold you think promoters would be lining up to make the biggest fights possible with him. Normally when a guy he very popular he gets preferable treatment not the other way round.

I've always heard this but seems strange considering how popular he was because of the Olympic gold you think promoters would be lining up to make the biggest fights possible with him. Normally when a guy he very popular he gets preferable treatment not the other way round.

It's not about how popular a fighter is but how promotors can make interesting enough match-ups for gamblers. One-sided fights because one fighter is dominant are not that popular in Thailand.

In terms of pure, technical brillance, IMHO but I don't watch MT as much as many guys here, Somrak is up there as a top 3 contender.

Interestingly Somrak, Lerdsila and Saenchai all trained at Jockeys gym. Given Saenchai and Lerdsila are the same age and Lerdsila moved there at 12 whilst Saenchai was there from 8 - 14 I'm sure they had a lot of sparring sessions which built the foundations of the type of fighters they would become. Lerdsila wiki page even claims that his style was developed from training at Jocky Gym. Would be great to see some old footage of those 2 sparring.

Wasn't silpathai the original jockey gym fighter with that style?

Back