How important is mittwork?

drives me crazy.

This rift in boxing really irritates me to no end. Whenever you have famous fighters you have clout-chasers and grifters who capitalize on just being around and claiming they're on the lineage, and they have lots of photos and a few videos because well, who doesnt keep a few sycophants around?

There is ONE guy who spent every waking moment with Roger Mayweather for a few years. That guy learned the intricacies of how Roger does mitts. You won't hear his name because he doesnt NEED to market himself. He doesn't need to market himself because he's THE guy Floyd currently uses. I've known him for a long time, his name is Gerald Tucker:

It's very simple, Floyd doesnt use those other guys because they're not doing the real thing. But he did let them hang around because they're generally nice and they're trying to do SOMETHING.

I learned how to do some similar stuff as Floyd Sr., but you dont see me parading around on YouTube selling that, or charging people $200/hr for me to slap their hands.

Last edited:
I neglect it the most and if i do want it i can't because other fighters take up the time...
How much am i missing out in terms of practical ability from mittwork? How important is it among other things? Been training for years and it's always been something i've had the least of. I envy it.

Important but overrated by some, and also, sometimes just flat out used incorrectly by coaches to give themselves the spotlight.

This rift in boxing really irritates me to no end. Whenever you have famous fighters you have clout-chasers and grifters who capitalize on just being around and claiming they're on the lineage, and they have lots of photos and a few videos because well, who doesnt keep a few sycophants around?

There is ONE guy who spent every waking moment with Roger Mayweather for a few years. That guy learned the intricacies of how Roger does mitts. You won't hear his name because he doesnt NEED to market himself. He doesn't need to market himself because he's THE guy Floyd currently uses. I've known him for a long time, his name is Gerald Tucker:

It's very simple, Floyd doesnt use those other guys because they're not doing the real thing. But he did let them hang around because they're generally nice and they're trying to do SOMETHING.

I learned how to do some similar stuff as Floyd Sr., but you dont see me parading around on YouTube selling that, or charging people $200/hr for me to slap their hands.

I occasionally have a private training client send me video of truly awful pad work being performed by well known trainers abs their high level pro boxers. The set up where the one trainer is holding the same combo for 3 dudes in a line and looks sloppy for all of them. My client sends me the video and says, “you’re way better than this! Why aren’t you working with guys like that?” SMH.

In terms of guys I see doing it right, the ATT Florida boxing coaches are fantastic. Brazilian brothers with good amateur pedigrees and high level coaching experience. I’ve learned a ton from them on my trips down to Florida.

In terms of guys I see doing it right, the ATT Florida boxing coaches are fantastic. Brazilian brothers with good amateur pedigrees and high level coaching experience. I’ve learned a ton from them on my trips down to Florida.

I always say "scratch the surface of a really good Amateur program and you're likely to find a Cuban." Brazil has referred to Cuban coaches for a while now. There's a distinct similarity between this mitt work and what I linked earlier.

Anyone have examples of pad holding to work defense?

IMO that's the least effective area for mitt work in boxing. Even sequencing in defensive moves doesn't always translate to fighting. But if you really look there's some defense tied into what every good example here are doing.

IMO that's the least effective area for mitt work in boxing. Even sequencing in defensive moves doesn't always translate to fighting. But if you really look there's some defense tied into what every good example here are doing.
Gf offered to start holding pads for me, and without a regular training partner in the area seems the best option I have to work defense.

Now compare ALL that to this horseshit:

Those guys charge A LOT of money for that.

That's cool and all but don't let any of this distract you from the fact that most people in this thread think hall of famers from the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s were lacking proper training because they didn't have access to mitts.

That's cool and all but don't let any of this distract you from the fact that most people in this thread think hall of famers from the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and 1980s were lacking proper training because they didn't have access to mitts.

Why would I think that? When that giant mitt thread was around I was the one catching the most heat for telling people mitts ain't necessary lol

Anyone have examples of pad holding to work defense?
I’ll toot my own horn here. I go out of my way to fire real, proper shots at my guys from a proper boxing stance and posture. So far as I can tell that’s the best way I’ve found.

@Sinister i noticed the similarities right away. Split entries, fully realized punches, realistic, short exchanges punctuated with defensive movements of the head and feet. Loved seeing it

Saw a vid of McGriff working with Sam A a while back

Release an online course on the crab. I'll buy it.

It's good but if you're sparring and doing the heavybag that is also enough.

Depends on the person tbh, its just another tool in the toolbox. Myself personally, its never been something thats gotten me significant improvement, I'm a heavybag guy; The heavybag has been something that has allowed me to improve heaps and bounds, padwork and mittwork never gave me that growth like the bag does. They did help, but not at the same rate

For me its: drilling, sparring (drilling the way I do is basically sparring to a degree so its similar), bag, pads/mitts

Back