How is Izzy's TDD so good?

rstringer

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I mean have you ever seen anyone have a better TDD than him?

The guy is like a spring , the more people force him down , the quicker he gets up.

My eyes were watching him getting out of all kinds of scenarios but can't explain what his secret is.

Any ideas?

He has a height advantage over all of his opponents, long limbs, and drills the fuck out of TDD, he starts scrambling the moment he hits the mat......

That last point is key. That’s what Liddell used to say, never accept the takedown, use the momentum of the takedown and spring back up.

And like Anderson before him, Izzy is stronger than people realize (I think).

Whittaker is not exactly a wrestler.

Wait til he fights a strong wrestler like Vettori, or even Paulo Costa. Brunson would wrestlefuck him as well easily. He is lucky Yoel isn’t in UFC anymore, that would be an un-winnable fight outside of lucky punch.

Really?

He clearly works on it and employs the exact same techniques that everyone else uses. (Undercooks, lean into fence, keep his hip back, sprawl, butterflies, hip escape, wall walk)

He has solid leverage and he is in exceptional physical condition.

What is the mystery?

He has a height advantage over all of his opponents, long limbs, and drills the fuck out of TDD, he starts scrambling the moment he hits the mat......

Reminds me of a young Aldo and Chuck.

Have I ever seen anyone have better TDD? I mean, Jon Jones does, Cejudo, Fedor, Aldo, Cormier, JDS…a bunch more probably.
But yeah it’s very solid.

He obviously puts in the work, and doesn't rest on talent alone.

This. LHW's with some size, strength and grappling get him down and keep him there. We saw it..

What does that even mean? He came to weigh-ins at 200.5lbs, what happened at LHW is irrelevant because that's clearly not his weight class. The issue is why can't MWs grab a hold of Izzy and keep him down? And it can't just because of his "long limbs", because a similarly long Kevin Holland constantly gets ragdolled.

As stated, size provides a big advantage for him at MW. He moved up and lost some of that advantage, proved not to be such a TDD guru.

To give him credit, he probably works that intensively because it feeds into his fight success and style.

Because the best wrestler he faced is freakin Brunson and there's no wrestlers at MW?

He wouldn't stand a chance against Chimaev.

Even Usman or Rakmanov beat him.

He obviously puts in the work, and doesn't rest on talent alone.
Yeah definitely. Good defensive wrestling, and he’s a BJJ purple belt under Andre Galvao, so definitely a dude who works on his whole game.

Back