How long can you hold your breath under water?

How long can you hold your breath under water?

I went 1 minute 33 seconds and my old neighbor who was in the navy went like 3 minutes lol.

we all thought he was dead but he got out and took a shot of whiskey and then beat me at jenga. Guess im not as alpha as i think lol

As long as it takes to get the job done

I have alpha-level lungs and could probably hit close to three minutes still. I used to train water rescue and found get a 150 lb dummy off the bottom of a 12 foot pool. Idk if I could do that still but back in the day I could go for a while.

Being in shape helps, but it's more about achieving a relaxed state of mind with a low resting HR so you're using as little oxygen as possible. Floating face down in a pool, my best time was 3 min 13 seconds. If you try it repeatedly for about 30 min, your times will improve as your body gets more relaxed. Freedivers have this down to a science and can achieve some pretty crazy times.

Last edited:
Is there supposed to be a time difference if you're underwater vs doing it on land?

The same amount of time I can hold my breath over water.

Oddly it's the same time I can hold my breath above water.

You can hold your breath longer above water than under it.

Water is heavier than air so the deeper you go, there's more atmospheric pressure and the faster you consume the oxygen in your lungs. Atmospheric pressure at sea level is about 14.7 psi. Every foot of fresh water you are submerged under adds about 0.433 lbs so you are exposed to about 2 atmospheres of pressure in 34 feet of fresh water (33 feet of sea water) meaning you consume your oxygen twice as fast at this depth, all else being equal.

Even floating facedown with your torso less than a foot underwater, your body is subjected to more atmospheric pressure than it would be above water. The difference is noticeable when you get more than a few feet underwater.

If you're with a hot chick alone in the pool then tell her you're going to go down on her underwater and you're not coming up for air until she climaxes.

Of course you'll never succeed, but if she truly loves you she'll fake one so you don't die. Then you know she's a keeper.

Last edited:
Back when I use to always be at the beach and bodyboarding I could hold my breathe in a survival float position for a little over 2 minutes. Never timed myself constantly moving/swimming underwater so not sure there. My old college friend was a pro free diver and was on the #1 ranked free diving team. He could hold his breath for almost 6 minutes. Diving with fins, spear gun he could hold his breathe close to 4 minutes. He said that some guys on his team could hold their breath for over 10 minutes with ridiculous lung capacity.

Doesn't matter, because I can't swim, I'll drown anyway.

Spend all summer around a pool.
Often try this.

Just short of 3 minutes.
(2:57 personal best)
Yup did this all the time when I was a youngin'. Personal best was around two and a half minutes. Been about 10 years since I've done it though so I'd probably be way less than that now.

I used to lifeguard at my college and would do laps underwater when I was alone. Somewhere between 50m-75m in one go. Built up a pretty good ability to hold my breath, could easily break 2 minutes but I don't know if I ever timed my longest.

It was a lot of fun learning to be smooth and relaxed, especially as your lungs felt ready to burst. Was great for weathering storms in BJJ & wrestling.

Back