How many days in a row is excessive? (1 workout)

Fahcough

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
When you get new toys you want to play with them. About to mount a flying ladder pull up bar, and know the elbows are in fear. What's a good moderate aim to not over due it and cause joint aggravation?

Don't do pull ups every single day. 3-4 days a week?

You can work out every day if you manage the volume and intensity adequately.
Not working out specifically. More of doing 1 exercise too often.
Got on a pull-up bender a couple years ago and after 3 weeks the inner elbow was on fire. Took months to get pain out.

Not working out specifically. More of doing 1 exercise too often.
Got on a pull-up bender a couple years ago and after 3 weeks the inner elbow was on fire. Took months to get pain out.

I've had overuse injuries from both pull-ups and push-ups, but that was doing multiple sets daily to failure with elbows flared out, bouncing at the end of motion and generally training like an asshole. As long as you maintain clean form and don't go to failure every day, shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
I've had overuse injuries from both pull-ups and push-ups, but that was doing multiple sets daily to failure with elbows flared out, bouncing at the end of motion and generally training like an asshole. As long as you maintain clean form and don't go to failure every day, shouldn't be an issue.
Same. Figured body weight stuff wasn't as taxing but any overuse will tear body apart.

Warming up outside means swimming and yard work. Gotta shed the winter 15 but not doing 50 pullups a day every day. That grease the groove idea could work, do 2 or 3 and dead hang.

When you get new toys you want to play with them. About to mount a flying ladder pull up bar, and know the elbows are in fear. What's a good moderate aim to not over due it and cause joint aggravation?

Don't do pull ups every single day. 3-4 days a week?

I don't think there's absolute answers to that because it depends on your level of experience and your body's response to training.

I think someone like a rock climber or a gymnast could train pull ups and variations every day with no major problems. If you haven't been training them and want to get good at them, choose an arbitrary frequency like 3/week and train them with something like pyramids or ladders without going to complete failure, see if you can make progress and increase your rep max, and then assess from there whether you want to increase the frequency, volume, add weight, focus on achieving some advanced variation (muscle ups or whatever), a specific rep max, a specific weight max, or something else.

I think as long as you pay attention to your body and slowly increase the volume/intensity/frequency over time, you'll be OK. It'll also depend on how much you care about developing the pull/chin ups compared to other stuff you're training. If you want to really focus on them it would probably make sense to increase the frequency/volume over time, but it might have to be at the expense of other things.

Last edited:
I don't think there's absolute answers to that because it depends on your level of experience and your body's response to training.

I think someone like a rock climber or a gymnast could train pull ups and variations every day with no major problems. If you haven't been training them and want to get good at them, choose an arbitrary frequency like 3/week and train them with something like pyramids or ladders without going to complete failure, see if you can make progress and increase your rep max, and then assess from there whether you want to increase the frequency, volume, add weight, focus on achieving some variation (muscle ups or whatever) or something else.

I think as long as you pay attention to your body and slowly increase the volume/frequency over time, you'll be OK. It'll also depend on how much you care about developing the pull/chin ups compared to other stuff you're training. If you want to really focus on them it would probably make sense to increase the frequency/volume over time, but it might have to be at the expense of other things.
You're right, there's no absolute answer for 2 people. Just gonna go with 2 days on 1 off.

It's not getting good at them, more of if you're doing 50 a day that's too damn many -take a break. Currently have straight pull up bar, hammer grip bars, dual climbing ropes, 2 sets of rings (1 at 3 ft straps, 1 at 10 ft straps). That's why I end up doing 4-6 sets of 8 too often, its in your face at 3 stations.

Already know when that flying ladder gets mounted, indulgence is going to take off for a couple weeks. Because it's a new challenge.

You're right, there's no absolute answer for 2 people. Just gonna go with 2 days on 1 off.

It's not getting good at them, more of if you're doing 50 a day that's too damn many -take a break. Currently have straight pull up bar, hammer grip bars, dual climbing ropes, 2 sets of rings (1 at 3 ft straps, 1 at 10 ft straps). That's why I end up doing 4-6 sets of 8 too often, its in your face at 3 stations.

Already know when that flying ladder gets mounted, indulgence is going to take off for a couple weeks. Because it's a new challenge.

I'm not sure what a flying ladder is, something like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Or like the stuff you see in kid's playgrounds? Sounds cool. Yeah I guess it depends. I'd maybe set a timer and try to get as many as possible in 7' or 8' while staying 1-2 reps away from failure in every set. Then try to increase the total number of reps over time. Maybe do that 2x a week with different grips, then after a few weeks go to 3x week, then 8', then 9', then maybe change one of the days to a weighted variation, or add an extra day, etc. There's many ways it can be done, just an example.

I'm not sure what a flying ladder is, something like this?

maxresdefault.jpg

Or like the stuff you see in kid's playgrounds? Sounds cool. Yeah I guess it depends. I'd maybe set a timer and try to get as many as possible in 7' or 8' while staying 1-2 reps away from failure in every set. Then try to increase the total number of reps over time. Maybe do that 2x a week with different grips, then after a few weeks go to 3x week, then 8', then 9', then maybe change one of the days to a weighted variation, or add an extra day, etc. There's many ways it can be done, just an example.

That's the one. Was going to build one but with wood and pipe prices there was few $$ difference in just buying the damn thing and cashing in on Loyal T points with Titan.

The basic lifts are fine and working but ADHD is a bitch. After a couple months, start wanting to go back to the higher intensity stuff. Maybe setting a goal to work towards, like trying to get form correct for a muscle up.

Last edited:
It depends how strong you are p4p. If you can do a set of 30 then 10 sets of 5 a day of pull-ups/chins would be fine (50 total reps). Just greasing the groove. I'd have some days off (once a week at least) though.

Personally greasing the groove doesn't work for me as i tried it with chin-ups and it was killing my biceps tendon. I had to switch to 2/3 chin-ups session a week and rest between them.

Also like another poster mentioned don't bounce too much at the bottom. i was doing full ROM pull-ups/chin-ups and bouncing at the bottom and that's what attacked my tendon. Since i started pausing at the bottom i feel way better.

Last edited by a moderator:
How old are you? What’s your lifting history? Sport background?

Theres a lot of factors here.

How old are you? What’s your lifting history? Sport background?

Theres a lot of factors here.

Kept it to 3-4 days a week but not maxing reps til failure. Using different grips through the pulls. Everything is in counted sets, seems to be holding up with no issue (specifically elbows).

~38 soon (parts don't recover the same anymore)
~Asked for 1st weight bench at 13, now crap is overflowing a 1000 sq ft room.
~lifetime of sports - baseball, soccer, basketball, TKD-mma, younger years in gymnastics

Back