How many of you guys have a herniated disc?

machomang

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
And how many of you still train frequently? I just got an mri of my lumbar done but it hasn't been read yet. Looks like I have a herniated disc between my sacrum and l5 based on my research.

How do you guys deal with it? What helps? Are you worried at all?

20190622_165131.jpg

view

Last edited:
I think I do. I dunno I've got the injury bug pretty bad lately. Just deal with it. Of I can't train one day I'll just do yoga, lift, swim. Hell I don't know. It would suck. I want a bionic back already.

I do, I got 2 now, l4 l5 and l5 s1

it fucking sucks, once or twice a year I cant walk for a couple of days, then therapy for 15 days or something and Im back on the mats, last time though I got a the l5 s1 one and couldnt train for 3 months, I lay on a ball for 2 to 3 minutes prior to train and after training, that seems to help much more than doing the exercises the therapist have told me to do, I still do them though, and dont ever ever roll without being properly warm up....

I have. L5-S1. Correct strength training helped a lot. Rarely is a problem when I roll

L5-S1 and a pars defect. It isn't an issue most of the time. I avoid getting stacked, but fuck if I want to finish a triangle I will hold on to it.

I did a BJJ Globetrotters camp and had a really hard time getting into/out of my top bunk bed. I had never trained that much in my life. Kind of hobble around like an old man when off the mats. But on the mats it was no factor. Just my experience, I know it varies a lot from person to person.

L5 and L3 herniated from doing deadlifts and playing inverted guard all the time... solution.. .stopped doing both for about 6 months. Also, started back doing deadlifts with a trap bar, don't feel any pressure on my back with this, slowly started building up my muscle in the lower back, nice and steady; did the same thing for neck problems, build the muscles in the neck, so on those rare occasions I do get stacked or invert under a heavy opponent, I'll be good as I know have the muscle to support the bone.

I herniated L5-S1 when i was 19, that required a micro-discectomy
when i was 25 i bulged L4-5 but did not do surgery

The surgery left me with scar tissue that has been a problem all my life, just have to work around it. It's not too bad these days, i've kind of figured out what i can and can't do and just proceed accordingly. I have found that strength training is very useful, in my case trap bar deadlifts (straight also but they put a bit more stress on your lower back and i try to stick with the trap if possible). I'm pretty inflexible, so i work from half guard a lot on bottom.

If you're still in the acute stages i would be seeking medical advice and get your rehab right before you go any further.

L5 and L3 herniated from doing deadlifts and playing inverted guard all the time... solution.. .stopped doing both for about 6 months. Also, started back doing deadlifts with a trap bar, don't feel any pressure on my back with this, slowly started building up my muscle in the lower back, nice and steady; did the same thing for neck problems, build the muscles in the neck, so on those rare occasions I do get stacked or invert under a heavy opponent, I'll be good as I know have the muscle to support the bone.

I hurt my back years ago doing deadlifts. One of the worse pains I'd ever felt, I think that might've been what started it all. I hurt my back again years later doing deadlifts, and that was the last time (around 2007). With a bulging disc, wouldn't that be compressing your spine, making the bulge worse? I'm too afraid to do deadlifts, however, squatting has never been an issue.

I have had them from my days olympic weightlifting and i am here to tell you all that herniations absolutely heal and there are non-surgical steps/treatments that can take you there.

I used to get them so bad and flare ups so often i could barely walk. I figured out the issues surrounding it and now i have been more or less 100% for the past 6 years. Stronger than ever as well.

I used to seek help all the time with great sadness due to the bleak outlook but rest assured, although herniation are not to be taken lightly they are also rather insignificant where injuries are concerned. If you have a herniation thats lasted years and years then you are doing something incredibly wrong.

How do you guys deal with it?

Depends what stage you are at. If you are freshly injured these are the steps to take

1) Nothing at all. Seriously if you are inflamed beyond all fuck don't do anything. bed rest for a week is warranted.

2) After about a week go and start walking and lightly stretch your hips IF possible.

3) When the inflammation and spasms go away it's full on stretch mode for your hip structures and multiple walks through out the day with minimal sitting (which should be reduced anyways). Sitting is literally arsenic for your lower lumbar. It deactivates muscles necessary to hold things in place while actively tightens other areas that tug on the lower lumbar.

When you feel good enough to start lifting weights build up your hips and glutes with a vengance. use anti movements to build up your core (anti-flexion,rotation,lateral flexion ect)

Do not shy away from compounds like front squats, deads, overheads ect. You need to overcome stimulus in the long term and develop movements taht challenge your spine to work the way its intended. shying away from them is a great way of never over coming this issue.

Moderate your activity levels. If you are lifting 3-4 times a week and rolling 3-4 times a week something has to give. This isnt specific to herniations either. Everyone, including healthy people need to moderate activity and intensity over time. I know so many with injured backs that workout, sit all day and never stretch. Go figure. add more activity and you have a recipe for disaster.

Are you worried at all?
Not at all and thats for a few reasons.
1) We live in the best time ever. The internet has so many resources out right now to help you overcome this and truth be told a herniated disc is the one thing that the medical system never helped me overcome. The only person who fixed it was me but of course you need to know what to do. I learned the hard way but im fine with that.

2) more often than not herniated discs are cumulative and not instantaneous and they also have a way of manifesting signs WAY in advance. I have always known around a month before i herniated my disc when it was going to happen again. That right there is a luxury where injuries are concerned.

3) You can heal it to 100% and within a good time frame aswell. People who ahve been dealing with it for ever are either misinformed or have something beyond a herniation. So while it's no laughing matter and at times the most painful feeling ever it's still nothing to cry over.

4) The guidelines to prevent herniations are things even healthy athletes need to be doing anyways. It forces you not to be a dumb ass.

5) Injuries are part of the game. Any athlete worth their salt has been injured. It's lovely to live in a world where no one gets injured but that's just not how it works. It gives you an opportunity to work on something you have been neglecting. In a way it's a blessing in disguise.

L5-S1 for me
When I do warm ups like the "spiderman" where you go down the mat like you're climbing the wall like Spiderman, my lower back feels like a bag of marbles.

I have to stretch A LOT! I don't think about it when I'm rolling but when I start cooling down at the end of class, it's hell. Ibuprofen & heating pad are my life lines.

Looked into Disc replacement surgery and although the Surgeon said I'd be back on the mats in 6 mos, all my friends in the medical field cautioned me against it.

I've been struggling with cervical disc problems for many years. I was scared to death when I first got the diagnosis. It was incredibly deflating. Over the years however I have learned a lot about managing these types of problems. And remember this, the majority of the time, a person's level of back/neck pain has little to do with what their actual MRI looks like. A lot of times its not the injury causing pain but spasm of the surrounding muscles.

In my experience, the most effective things ive implemented to deal with this are active release techniques (deeeeep tissue massage), isometric exercise, and sleeping on a foam traction wedge a couple nights a week.

If you experience any significant numbness or tingling and especially atrophy then you should be concerned. Also, herniations can absolutely recede and resolve if you have a good regimen.

What are the signs of a herniated disk ?

My lower back has been extemely stiff for months now . Especially getting out of bed in the morning . It doesn't hurt perse, just extemely stiff

Is that a herniated disk?

My lower back has been extemely stiff for months now . Especially getting out of bed in the morning . It doesn't hurt perse, just extemely stiff

Not likely. A herniated disc which presses on the spinal cord or on nerves in the back will present you with shooting or referred pains down the legs or in your but or hips or even in your feet. Nerve pain is different than normal muscle or other pain. You'll know.

Also you could have weakness rather than pain, or tingling/burning/numbness, or all of the above.

My back had a bad herniation where the disc (l4-l5) was sitting on the nerve root. The pain got much better after a few months but the weakness did not, and I had severe foot drop (I could not lift my foot properly).

It slowly improved, but then started getting worse. Eventually I had surgery about 18 months ago in order to preserve the nerve as much as possible. Everyone says the surgery is so risky but I don't think it's that bad. Two levels micro discectomy as well as opening up the lamina. Unfortunately since 2013 I've only trained about 2 years consistently, and the rest is on and off but I also had two kids during that time so it's not just due to the back issues.

As someone mentioned, sitting is the big killer. That's my biggest problem as I sit all day and it's hard to remember to stand up, walk around, etc especially when you are busy.

Can you stand on your toes?
Can you stand on your heals?
Can you sit upright on a flat surface, extend either leg?

If you cant or can but have pain in lower back, you have a disc issue.

Just tested it right now and I can do all that ..... So why is my lower back so stiff for 2 months now ?

Could be other things, muscular related. Muscle stiffness or if you pull a muscle, it hurts and it can tug on everything else around it when its inflammed. Then, you gotta wonder if you repeatedly aggravate the same area.

Honestly, if thats what you have count your lucky stars.

I have l5-s1 issues like a lot of the posters here. I start PT on Wednesday. Hopefully I will be back to training soon. I've been out a month now. I was out about a month ago with c4-c5 issues. I think I may need to change my bjj. Maybe it is time to pass more and time to stop closed guard.

Hmm, I can do all these things but still have chronic back (and neck) pain. None of it prevents me from activity... it's just there.

Back