How shallow or deep is the talent pool in Savate considering it's such a small sport?

I trained it a couple times in France. They were pretty good at stomping your leg kick with the flat of their foot. Hurts, lol.
Also they are very agile and bouncy and don't chamber much so they can surprise you.

What do you think about the kicking technique of Savate? I saw a Video about Savate on Youtube
"Mastering Savate 2 - Fundamental Techniques" they have a lot(!) of differnet kicks.
How effective is Savate compared to K1 style or Thai in your opinion? Especially because of the bouncing and the agility. And it seems to be more complicated than Kickboxing or Muay Thai.
Do the train with pads or only drills?
Thx ;)

Last edited:
Pure savate gyms are rarer and rarer. These days in France you mostly find gyms which combine all the kick-fighting arts under one roof: Muay Thai, Kickboxing, "Full Contact" (which is the American style kickboxing with kicks above the waist), Savate etc. I'd say there's probably like 20 pure Savate clubs in the whole of France if that, and you're luckily to find even 1 savate club in neighbouring countries, I think there's like 3 or 4 in the whole of the UK and a handful in Germany and Italy.

So yeah I think it's quite easy to figure out how "deep" the talent pool would be then.

I get the sentiment but i think it's an exaggeration. On the official website of the French Savate Federation you can find 23 clubs for paris only. So there will be easily 100 or + for all of france : https://www.ffsavate.com/annuaire/clubs_savate_departement_75_paris

And sure some of them might host boxing, muay thai or others under the same roof but a lot of martial arts clubs do that now

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you think about the kicking technique of Savate? I saw a Video about Savate on Youtube
"Mastering Savate 2 - Fundamental Techniques" they have a lot(!) of differnet kicks.
How effective is Savate compared to K1 style or Thai in your opinion? Especially because of the bouncing and the agility. And it seems to be more complicated than Kickboxing or Muay Thai.
Thx ;)

Anyone?

Thx ;)

I think it's up there with shiny pants kickboxing in terms of overall effectiveness. They do have low kicks but they can't check them, IIRC.

Lots of dexterity and fancy kicks, very elegant combat form aimed at long range fighting. They also tend to have proper boxing fundamentals also.

Yeah it's good, if you like that general style.

Thx ;)
Bruce Lee liked their kicks, they have good kicks to took, like Taekwondo, Kyokushin and Capoeira, thats all this styles can give you
I think they had champions beating Full Contact guys and Thais

Back in early k-1 days a lot of fighters (mostly from holland) had savate experience and titles.
But none of them came from savate background. They were karate and kickboxing guys who tried their luck and defeated the savateurs under savate rules.
I dont know about today, but the talent pool back then was shallow.

Last edited:
I get the sentiment but i think it's an exaggeration. On the official website of the French Savage Federation you can find 23 clubs for paris only. So there will be easily 100 or + for all of france : https://www.ffsavate.com/annuaire/clubs_savate_departement_75_paris

And sure some of them might host boxing, muay thai or others under the same roof but a lot of martial arts clubs do that now
The link is not working, but I have this feeling that the boat has sailed for Savate. People just don't have idea what Savate is. I don't think Savate is really growing. I really think that Savate just lost their opportunity to grow in the 2000s and 2010s - it was pretty stagnant in that era...

The link is not working, but I have this feeling that the boat has sailed for Savate. People just don't have idea what Savate is. I don't think Savate is really growing. I really think that Savate just lost their opportunity to grow in the 2000s and 2010s - it was pretty stagnant in that era...

Link is working for me. But i do agree. I someone wants to train stand up even in France he thinks muay thai or kickboxing first, not Savate.

Back