How the hell did pro wrestling ever trick anyone

all wrestling fans know it's fake. it's more about the storylines than it is trying to convince people it's real.

I'm watching it now in my doctors office, within literally 3 seconds it immediately looks fake. Like every single thing they do looks choreographed and overdamatic, and just like... fake. How did such a large portion of the population think this was real? Even without mma as a reference for what fighting actually looks like, it looks like drama class acting
Well I kind of knew it was as a kid. But just Like Santa, I wanted to believe.

You need to go back a bit, to like the 50s and 60s. It was a less acrobatic style, and a bit—a *bit* more believable. But yeah, people did buy it as real. It used to be that certain positions were actually appointed by the athletic commissions in each state, just like MMA today. Jim Cornette tells a funny story about a babyface challenging a heel champ for the title. And the finish was supposed to be a time limit draw, so that they could promote the rematch.
Welp, the timekeeper was a dude appointed by the athletic commission, and he didn’t realize the sport was fake. So these two wrestlers go at it tooth and nail for however long, and finally get to the point where time should be up and the bell should ring, and the match would be a draw.
But the bell doesn’t ring.
So they keep going at it, and a few minutes go by—still no bell.
Turns out the timekeeper was a fan of the babyface hero, and thought that if the match just went a few minutes longer, that he’d beat the villain and win the belt for sure. So he just didn’t ring the fucking bell <45>

I would say part of the issue is that pre Rock n Wrestling Hogan years it didnt really push into the mainstream enough to get much comment, it was popular but existed mostly as a sub culture below the radar. That it wasnt a legit sport was pretty well known although the wrestlers themselves would arguebly be more respected as hardasses who could handle themselves but put on a show.

Most people watch it when they're young then grow out of it and watch boxing or mma. That's what I did. Once I started realizing how gay wrestling was I got into boxing, then kickboxing, then mma from there.

It's different when you got into it as a kid. I was 9-10 years old when the Ultimate Warrior was in his prime.....I'll never forget the feeling of watching him come sprinting down to the ring. That kickass entrance music, the crowd exploding.....even now I get chills when I watch old youtube videos of it.

Later on.....the Attitude Era. By then I was obviously old enough to know it was fake. But the characters, the storylines, etc.....it was the best thing on TV in those years. Some of my best memories of college were Monday nights, with a bunch of guys & girls all eating pizza, drinking beer and going nuts whenever Stone Cold or the Rock would do something awesome.

I haven't watched wrestling in years now, but I still consider myself a lifelong fan, if only for those classic eras I mentioned above. It may not be for everyone, but I loved every minute of it.

Let’s be honest here, no girls were ever present

I don't think I ever really considered WWF/E to be "real", I just popped one of my brothers VHS tapes from his collection and thought that it was cool.

We called ourselves "Thunder & Lightning" and would routinely break bed slats, cupboard doors etc...think I was around five and he was around eight...

We weren't trying to simulate a real fight.

Even if did believe any of it, my mom never let me forget when she told me to "stop watching that fake crap" all the time. This was in the early 90's too, like I wasn't allowed to watch the Saturday night show on TBS. Having to sneak watching it only made me want to watch it more.

There was a time when it was real and matches could last the better part of an hour, two dudes hugging. Fair ground exhibitions.

People who thought it was fake got given the chance to have a go. Lessons were taught.

They realised it got the crowd going if they added some drama and over time the drama become the more important part.

Public perception lagged behind that change because despite people's shit talking, the vast majority never see competitive violence.

As far as sports that beat up the body go, wrestling is as taxing on the body as anything else. They might not be punching each other in the face, but them slams ect all hurt.

I'm watching it now in my doctors office, within literally 3 seconds it immediately looks fake. Like every single thing they do looks choreographed and overdamatic, and just like... fake. How did such a large portion of the population think this was real? Even without mma as a reference for what fighting actually looks like, it looks like drama class acting

You're watching modern wrestling. Modern wrestling is an abomination.

The same way people believe "professional" sports aren't rigged. Everything is fake to a certain degree. You respect more of the behind the scenes than you do what you're actually watching.

I stopped watching wrestling back in high school, but I'll always respect the crap they put their bodies through taking bumps or jumping off high objects. I'll respect how they could get on a microphone in front of thousands and commit to being a character, hero or heel. Most people can't even give a speech to a regular room full of people.

And just the grind. When I was a kid, I thought they were doing 1 or 2 shows a week, tops. They're constantly on the road. 200+ days out of the year I've heard. That's a tough lifestyle.
Running errands, two quick points:

Rigged: tennis player was arrested today for throwing a match at last year's french open. Seems like a victimless "crime". Throwing a sporting event (the entertainment business) doesn't seem like a real criminal act.

Rassling: I remember when I was home sick as a kid and watch Regis and Kathy Lee. On the show were two "bad guy" wrestlers from the WWE/WWF. One cried due to missing his family while being on the road so often. Clearly the guy broke character and it was awesome. I assume he got cut the next day and signed with WCW.

Guys can like soap operas too, no big deal. It’s like a bodybuilding show, just the right amount of homosexuality for some who have a hard time coming to terms with it.

Damn shame how many pro wrestlers lives, and the lives of those around them, have been ruined by the bananas crazy cocktail of drugs you usually have to abuse to be at that level.

70s wrestling was much more legit looking than today’s wrestling. Plus the wrestlers all took it very seriously.

everybody knew they co operated slightly to make things more interesting for the crowd but other than that the fights were real. like with mma now. everybody knows the deal. same thing with david blaine, obviously some of his stuff isnt real he uses tricks and editing, everybody knows, but they have to add some showmanship to make things better for tv so you keep watching
I don't think everyone knows , in Blaine's case. Atleast that's not the impression I get. Wrestling is soo obviously just theatre, I'd always assumed everyone knew it was fake. So I would be stunned if anyone actually thought it was real.

Back