How to Design a Diet

Pathogenic

Wo Cao Ni Ma
@Brown
Reaction score
Sherdog is replete with "Critique My Diet" threads, wherein the poster essentially lists out the foods they eat in an attempt to receive feedback. Many posters believe that simply "cleaning up their diet" by replacing certain foods with others is the answer to all of their weight loss woes. This is a wrongheaded approach for most because dieting is less about what one eats as opposed to how much one eats. Too few people understand that dieting is about calorie and macronutrient manipulation, and not strictly about dietary exclusion of certain foods. (Read this for more information on macronutrients, written by Alan Aragon). If one eats fewer calories than one expends, and their macronutrient ratio (i.e. how much carbs, protein, and fat one eats) is sound, then weight loss will be steady and comprised mostly of fat loss. However, even if one has poor macros, the most critical aspect of weight loss still lies in setting a proper calorie deficit. In order to set a deficit, one must first determine their maintenance calories, or how much one can consume such that there is neither weight loss nor weight gain. Thus the first step in designing a successful diet is determining how much to eat, and the second step will be dedicated to what one should eat.

There are a few ways to determine one's maintenance calorie level, and these will be listed according to effectiveness.

1. The most effective way to determine maintenance caloric intake is to buy a BodyMedia FIT or similar device. (Here is a review done by Lyle McDonald, the man from whom I learned 95% of what I know about dieting) These are somewhat expensive, but they work marvelously. They provide an interactive chart of activity throughout the day. Here is a screenshot from my BodyMedia Activity Manager:

33v0nsx.jpg

It also explains activity levels throughout the day, how many steps taken, and how much sleep (as well as sleep efficiency).

2. "The Counting Method"

I learned about this method from Lyle McDonald's book "A Guide to Flexible Dieting." A Guide to Flexible Dieting is the greatest book ever written for beginners on the subject of dieting, in my opinion, and it is a must-read for just about anyone who wants to learn about the essentials of dieting. The Counting Method requires a bit of math, but a fifth grade education should be sufficient enough to figure it out. The Counting Method relies on basic body weight multipliers, so it's very easy to figure out. Once one gets a basic overlay of their caloric needs, then one can see how much they need to adjust their calories by simply looking at the scale a few times per week and adjusting up or down based on the amount of weight gained. For example: if a 1 lb. weight gain is exhibited, then the appropriate number of calories to cut per day from the predicted maintenance is 500 because it takes 3500 calories above maintenance to gain 1 lb (the converse is true for losing weight, which will be covered later). This gain would not include the immediate water weight spike accompanied by increasing calories from deficit levels, or the return to normal carbohydrate consumption after prolonged low-carb dieting. Due to the fact that everyone's activity level is different, the multipliers are also flexible.

Activity Level Bodyweight Multiplier (cals per lb of total weight):
Desk Jockey: 10-11
Lightly Active: 11-12
Fairly Active: 12-13
Very Active: 14-15
Extremely Active: 18-19

Someone with the "Desk Jockey" label would be anyone who lives a sedentary life, and performs very little activity. The next step up is the "Lightly Active" category, which encompasses those who do low-intensity aerobic work (heart rate 130-150 beats per minute throughout the entire 60-90 minute session) up to three times per week. Those in the "Fairly Active" category include people who train up to 3-4 hours per week who do either resistance training, or higher intensity aerobic work (Heart rate 150+ beats per minute throughout; typically under 60 minutes). People in the "Very Active" category are typically athletes who do a significant amount of both aerobic work and resistance training. The last category, "Extremely Active" is reserved for endurance athletes, and those crazy fighters who do 2 skill training sessions per day along with weights.

After figuring out how many calories are necessary to neither gain nor lose weight, one must determine how much less to eat than that. In order to lose or gain a pound, one must eat either 3500 calories under or over their maintenance. Most bulking diets are based on setting a daily caloric intake of 500 calories above maintenance such that 1 lb. can be gained every week (500 calories over maintenance x 7 days per week = 3500). Dieting works the same way, only in reverse. The only problem is that unlike bulking, which has no negative hormonal side-effects, dieting can cause negative hormonal changes. As such, it requires more careful planning than to simply subtract 500 calories per day from one's maintenance. The most effective way to set a deficit is to base it off of percentages of maintenance. Lyle McDonald recommends a 10-20% deficit. For a smaller man or woman who needs 2000 calories per day, a 10-20% deficit means a deficit of merely 200-400 calories per day, or 1600-1800 calories total. For a large man needing 4000 calories per day, an appropriate deficit would be 400-800 calories, or 3200-3600 calories per day. As a smaller person, the weight loss expectations per week should be lower.

There you have it. That's how to set a deficit. It's that simple. The next step in a successful diet is to determine macronutrient ratios, or how much protein, fat, and carbohydrates are needed.

Last edited:
The most important macronutrient is protein. Protein spares lean mass, and makes one more full. In order to figure out how much protein is needed, we will again need to rely on basic math. The most effective way to determine protein requirements is to figure out one's body fat percentage. This can be done via skinfold calipers (not as accurate), BodPod or DEXA scans (the most accurate, but most expensive), or by simply posting pictures of yourself so that others can guess for you (here is a link to an appropriate place to post your pictures).

Once body fat percentage is determined, all that must be done from here, math-wise, is to multiply one's bodyweight by one's lean mass. If a 200 lb. person is 10% body fat, then 90% of their weight is lean mass (100% - 10% = 90%), and their lean body mass is 180 lbs. (200 x .9 = 180).

Protein requirements are largely based on activity levels, so we will again have to construct flexible protein requirements in order to support these activity levels.

Activity Level Protein Requirements (g/lb of Lean Body Mass)
None: .75
Aerobics Exclusively: .75
Lifters: 1-1.5

So, if our hypothetical 200 lb. man with 180 lbs of lean body mass (LBM) were sedentary, then he would need to multiply his LBM by .75 in order to determine his protein requirements in grams. This works out to be 135g of protein (180 x .75). If, however, our hypothetical person were a lifter, then his protein intake would need to be at least 180g (180 x 1).

Another, easier method is to simply take one's total body weight in pounds and eat that amount in grams of protein. For example, our 200 lb. lifter would eat 200g of protein.

The next step is to determine fat intake. According to Lyle McDonald, a diet where 25% of all calories are from fat is sufficient for hormone production and other helpful things. Someone who is eating 2000 calories per day would need to get at least 500 calories from fat (2000 x .25 = 500). Since each gram of fat has 9 calories, we must divide that number by 9 in order to figure out how many grams of fat are needed. In this case, our dieter needs roughly 56g of fat (500/9 = 55.55)

The rest of one's calories can be allocated to carbohydrates, but having additional fat won't hurt, either. As long as protein is set, then the other two macros can be manipulated to produce similar results.

If our hypothetical dieter were a lifter weighing 200 lbs. at 10% body fat, and was eating 2000 calories to lose weight, and followed the outline above, then they would be eating 180g of protein and 56g of fat. Since each gram of protein has 4 calories, 720 of their calories are already taken up by protein, and at least 500 calories are going to fat. This leaves our dieter with 780 calories left over for carbohydrates (2000 - (720+500)). Since each gram of carbs has 4 calories just like protein, this would leave our dieter with 195g of carbs (780/4 = 195).

That's all there is to it. Once one's deficit is set, and one's macros are determined, the setup of the diet is entirely complete. The dieter can then fill it with foods of their choosing. No food is off limits, so long as the calories and macros are met. I highly recommend buying a food scale and carefully weighing out portions because people typically underestimate how much they're eating. Make sure that all calorie-containing drinks consumed are counted properly (that means you, coffee drinkers who put milk and sugar in their coffee!). Switching to diet soda and black coffee is a good option. This way, no drinks need to be counted. I highly suggest using a food logging site like MyFitnessPal (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/) or CRON-O-METER (https://cronometer.com/) to log meals in. It will help one create a comprehensive food log that allows long-term tracking of calories, macros, vitamins, weight, measurements, etc.

Optional goals include a fiber intake of at least 30g, and EFAs from fresh fish.

Your customized diet is now complete. Good luck with all of your goals!

Last edited:
Should be a sticky

+1 on sticky.really good posts.

I just recently read McDonalds dieting overview (can't remember the exact name) very interesting and informative.I like it because its fairly simple as its pretty easy to get bogged down in details while reading diet stuff

+1 on sticky.really good posts.

I just recently read McDonalds dieting overview (can't remember the exact name) very interesting and informative.I like it because its fairly simple as its pretty easy to get bogged down in details while reading diet stuff

Thanks!

It's definitely very easy to get entangled in the details. It's the classic dilemma of "missing the forest for the trees." I feel as though Lyle does an amazing job of stressing the important stuff, but I can't exactly post his books :p

Is "being hungry" an indicator that your diet is working?

Not really. I get hungry even when I eat at maintenance. Hell, I get hungry when I eat 4500 calories. The best way to gauge how your diet is working is by tracking your weight, body fat percentage, and body measurements. Keeping a picture log is also a good idea.

Not really. I get hungry even when I eat at maintenance. Hell, I get hungry when I eat 4500 calories. The best way to gauge how your diet is working is by tracking your weight, body fat percentage, and body measurements. Keeping a picture log is also a good idea.

Alright, makes sense. Thanks! Great post, btw

Thanks!

It's definitely very easy to get entangled in the details. It's the classic dilemma of "missing the forest for the trees." I feel as though Lyle does an amazing job of stressing the important stuff, but I can't exactly post his books :p
Yeah def I agree. Depending where your looking for your nutrition info, calories,fat,sugar,carbs,gluten are all a cause of our current "epidemic". Nutritional science is very complex but losing weight can be as simple or as complicated as you make it

Do you know a good app. to track your daily intake? A forum member gave it to me the other day, but I lost that message. I know I need 2666. Now I need to be able to track it easily.

Nutritional science is very complex but losing weight can be as simple or as complicated as you make it

Very well said.

Do you know a good app. to track your daily intake? A forum member gave it to me the other day, but I lost that message. I know I need 2666. Now I need to be able to track it easily.

MyFitnessPal has an amazing application for both Android and iOS. The app syncs with your computer, which lets you pull it up in greater detail later on.

MyFitnessPal has an amazing application for both Android and iOS. The app syncs with your computer, which lets you pull it up in greater detail later on.

Nice. Downloading as we speak. Can't call myself an athlete in the making if I don;t have any idea what I am eating on a daily basis :icon_chee

Is "being hungry" an indicator that your diet is working?

I would say absolutely not. In fact, I think if you are really hungry it probably means your diet isn't going to work. It is almost impossible to stick to a diet if you are always hungry. If you are really hungry on your diet I would suggest trying intermittent fasting. This has helped me to not be hungry during the day while keeping my calories well below maintenance. I don't eat until 12:30 in the afternoon. That doesn't work for everyone, but it works well for me.

STICKY, one of the better posts submitted in a while..

Convinced me to finally write out everything and break down the macros, fun plans for this upcoming saturday. Have a fight April 7th at 190lbs and while Im close this may make it easier and eliminate any cutting that has to be done.

Asked in another thread about purchasing Lyle's Applied Nutrition for Mixed Sports and you said go for it. Can only afford one at this time, am I better of with that or A Guide to Flexible Dieting.

Very nice. Provides a good base that can then be built off of. I may not really like Lyle to much, but this is a great post period. Should be stickied. :)

Edit: Thanks for putting in the time patho.

So does the quality of my macros matter? That's what confuses me. People seem to say "eat whatever, as long as it fits your macros." Is this true?

Absolutely awesome job. Another vote for making this a sticky.

So does the quality of my macros matter? That's what confuses me. People seem to say "eat whatever, as long as it fits your macros." Is this true?

It is true to a degree. The term came from bodybuilding forums and when they refer to it they are speaking in the context of body composition and are not accounting for athletic performance and long term health. If the latter are of importance to you, then I would advise you to meet your macro goals with whole foods and a balanced diet to insure you are meeting your micro nutrient requirements.

Back