Media How to stop eyepokes!

eye-poke-three-stooges.gif

With Smilin Sam!

lol at the Jon Jones rule at 1:25

Smilin Sam KO Weidman imo Dana give him the call.

Bite off their fingers, then there's no problem. Might just get a ref warning:)
bite-finger-bite.gif

enforce the existing rules. fingers outstretched towards opponent? a warning. do it again? point taken. eye pokes, which mind you happen when the fighter is already breaking a rule - automatic point deduction.
fighters will learn immediately to keep their fingers close to their palms.

funny how the thumbnail shows Gus getting poked meanwhile he is one of the worst offenders. imho

"I'm going to give Chris Wideman the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't intentional"
"Those fighter who eyepoke do it strategically"

Smiling Sam makes a pretty convincing case. I have no idea how the same guy could make both of these statements in the same video, especially after Chris finished the fight with, not one, but two back to back eyepokes.
After listening to this, I think maybe the best way to handle these situations is to stop the right and use the replay for the judges to decide if it was intentional, with a strong burden of proof required to rule unintentional. If deemed intentional, instant disqualification. This will force fighters to really train for, and be mindful of, keeping the hands closed when stretching them out toward their opponent.

"I'm going to give Chris Wideman the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't intentional"
"Those fighters who eyepoke do it strategically"

Smiling Sam makes a pretty convincing case. I have no idea how the same guy could make both of these statements in the same video, especially after Chris finished the fight with, not one, but two back to back eyepokes.
After listening to this, I think maybe the best way to handle these situations is to stop the fight and use the replay for the judges to decide if it was intentional, with a strong burden of proof required to rule unintentional. If deemed intentional, instant disqualification. This will force fighters to really train for, and be mindful of, keeping the hands closed when stretching them out toward their opponent.

After listening to this, I think maybe the best way to handle these situations is to stop the fight and use the replay for the judges to decide if it was intentional, with a strong burden of proof required to rule unintentional. If deemed intentional, instant disqualification. This will force fighters to really train for, and be mindful of, keeping the hands closed when stretching them out toward their opponent.
He shit on Jon Jones enough to make up for it. imho lol

I think hes right. A basic cost benefit analysis should tell you there's no reason not to eye poke and kick your opponent in the groin at least once. The first one of each is a freebie and they pay dividends for the whole fight. It's kind of stupid not to.

I disagree with him about the gloves I disagree with him about the range finding hand.

But he's 100% right that if the rules are not enforced the infractions will continue.

Once is a point, twice is a DQ, two DQ's is a suspension... And watch how fast these guys learn to not poke each other in the eye.

Last edited:

Weidman is Eskimo brothers with Dana through human meatball Serra and Smilin' Sam is a shill.

Shills have shill radar. They know who is a protected species who must be fluffed and apologized for. Most of the MMA media went full Baghdad Bob for Weidman because of this.

There is no embargo on talking shit about Jon Jones in contrast.

enforce the existing rules. fingers outstretched towards opponent? a warning. do it again? point taken. eye pokes, which mind you happen when the fighter is already breaking a rule - automatic point deduction.

or just use the Pride gloves. there were never any accidental eye pokes in Pride. the only eye pokes were straight up eye gouges purposely employed by fighters like Arona and Yvel.

once some rules become too soft, its time to change. Fighters dont eyepoke on accident. They do it believing nothing will happen.

Rules educate people one way or the other and sometimes the big hammer has to come down.

extended fingers?

- without touching your opponent = 1 point deducted and a warning
- 2nd time = DQ

- touching your opponent = automatic DQ, no fight payment, a penalty in your contract and a stamp in your resume. Next stamp, you are cut from the UFC.

I wanna see if anyone will still eyepoke. When dealing with kids you can teach stuff, but with grown men, education that hurts is usually the most efficient. You hurt their pockets, they obey.

Last edited:
Yup. People do it because the know they can get away with one or two of them. All it takes is the refs to just do their fucking job.

Ever the company man. I don't expect him to talk shit on the UFC's anything, including their gloves. He's right on most of that though. At best, pawing out with your fingers out is shit technique.

On other note, dude is sounding rough.

Balderdash.

I have a much better idea..

If a fighter gets poked in the eye, then, for the rest of that round, he gets to use a steamroller against his opponent. That would even it up and make things fair. Plus, it would increase viewership.

Ever the company man. I don't expect him to talk shit on the UFC's anything, including their gloves. He's right on most of that though. At best, pawing out with your fingers out is shit technique.

On other note, dude is sounding rough.
he might still be a bit concussed from his last fight two weeks ago. He was also fouled badly by a headbutt

8kpbp6.gif

after Aroyyo ran away from him like a little Beetch.

8kpb63.gif

and still...

he might still be a bit concussed from his last fight two weeks ago. He was also fouled badly by a headbutt

8kpbp6.gif

after Aroyyo ran away from him like a little Beetch.

8kpb63.gif

and still...
Yeah. Arroyo talked too much shit after that performance.