Movies How was Dune (2021)?

I don't think it was better than Blade Runner 2049.
Unfortunately Dune, that as a book was stupendously layered and complex, as a movie is anything but. it's a straightforward hero journey trope, with amazing visuals, and so-and-so acting. it's like imagining the best meal you can ever have and then getting a picture of it. sure it looks good, but you're not sensing the flavors, the aromas, the textures. that's how Dune feels - like a picture of the Dune book.

nothing in the movie transmits that.

Everything in the movie transmits that.

He is who others have created and he rises to power based on a false mythology created for that purpose. Everything we see him doing is in service of both his father's wishes and the machinations of the Bene Gesserit.

His ultimate destiny is already hinted and foreshadowed in the first film and develops as the story is told. It's obvious it will be made clear in the second half of these films. Future stories are ALL about that, when Paul abandons the Golden Path and his son embraces it.

Nothing is in Paul's control here. He's a pawn.

Everything in the movie transmits that.

He is who others have created and he rises to power based on a false mythology created for that purpose. Everything we see him doing is in service of both his father's wishes and the machinations of the Bene Gesserit.

His ultimate destiny is already hinted and foreshadowed in the first film and develops as the story is told. It's obvious it will be made clear in the second half of these films. Future stories are ALL about that, when Paul abandons the Golden Path and his son embraces it.

Nothing is in Paul's control here. He's a pawn.
my point is that i don't remember all you say being a memorable part of the movie. you're describing the complexity and layered aspects of the book. the movie did not present these things in a way that puts them at the forefront of the story.

Unfortunately Dune, that as a book was stupendously layered and complex, as a movie is anything but. it's a straightforward hero journey trope, with amazing visuals, and so-and-so acting. it's like imagining the best meal you can ever have and then getting a picture of it. sure it looks good, but you're not sensing the flavors, the aromas, the textures. that's how Dune feels - like a picture of the Dune book.

Fairly good summation. I love the book and went with 3 people who hadn't read the book. They all loved it and I came out feeling rather short changed ....

my point is that i don't remember all you say being a memorable part of the movie. you're describing the complexity and layered aspects of the book. the movie did not present these things in a way that puts them at the forefront of the story.

Do you remember him being pretty powerful right out of the gate and even the Bene Gesserit being afraid of him?

Do you remember him being pretty powerful right out of the gate and even the Bene Gesserit being afraid of him?
In the movie? He could spar well but gurney would have killed him, mohiam held the needle in his neck to kill him if he turned out to be a pussy. He's a bit like Luke Skywalker. As I said, a hero's journey.

In the movie? He could spar well but gurney would have killed him, mohiam held the needle in his neck to kill him if he turned out to be a pussy. He's a bit like Luke Skywalker. As I said, a hero's journey.

Gurney is one of the deadliest fighters in the universe and Paul was a child who had never killed a man.

Paul had been told to obey the reverend mother and while taking the test, endured more pain than anyone else ever had.

He is NOT Luke Skywalker.

Gurney is one of the deadliest fighters in the universe and Paul was a child who had never killed a man.

Paul had been told to obey the reverend mother and while taking the test, endured more pain than anyone else ever had.

He is NOT Luke Skywalker.
ok.

Good/excellent visuals, mediocre acting, shit casting, wack interpretation.

Expected more from Villenueve. A huge let-down for me.

It does feel like it depends too much on knowledge of the book for a lot of its drama, the Yueh plot especially really seems to have very little build up which even Lynch managed to do fairly well handling the whole book in one shorter film.

As you say it does become a pretty standard good/evil kind of plot, I spose the Lynch film was as well but really was more interested in the mystical quest aspect. For all the fuss about changing Keynes gender I think the ironic thing is they turn her into a very standard "poor local asking for the white savours to help them" were as the book character was mistrustful of the Freman getting caught up in a cult of personality which the book views as a bad thing.

It does ultimately become mostly an heroic action film with a more interesting setting than most I would say, lot of effort spent on trying to make Duncan an action hero.

It's a good watch, but the whole movie feels like setup for the sequel. Lots of exposition and setup. It's like 2 and a half hours of first act.

With that stated. I liked it overall and I'll end up watching the 2nd.

It was a decent watch, but it doesn't touch Blade Runner 2049....That movie was a great techno noir with atmosphere and great actors. Dune has some cool scenes and effects, but it lacks the originals quirky coolness. And Jason Momoa sucks. He just can't act.

How many of the books have you read?
As far as Children and bits of God Emperor but were talking the original here and they obviously play up the character here relative to it action wise.

As far as Children and bits of God Emperor but were talking the original here and they obviously play up the character here relative to it action wise.

I was jazzed that they took the casting of Idaho seriously in the film, he's one of the most important characters in the series. He comes back as a Ghola (MANY times over Leto II's reign) and ultimately kills Leto II.

And he's definitely an action hero, he's considered the best sword in the universe.

I loved it. The only movie since the first LoTR I've watched four times in the cinema. It's one of the rare movies that gets better with repeat viewing and it has that rare magic touch that actually makes you feel like you are in another world.

If the second installment is just as good, it will go down as an all-time classic of the science fiction genre.

I loved it. The only movie since the first LoTR I've watched four times in the cinema. It's one of the rare movies that gets better with repeat viewing and it has that rare magic touch that actually makes you feel like you are in another world.

If the second installment is just as good, it will go down as an all-time classic of the science fiction genre.

Agree that it gets better every time.

Really looking forward to the next one.

Back