How weak can your other muscles be and still be able to do pull ups/ cool tricks on a pull up bar?

Once you can do over 20 pull ups with good form you can start fucking around with trick shit for the 'gram.

Do you guys generally see an issue with doing pull ups without warmup? I see the idea of doing a few push ups every time you walk under a bar in your house. But this imply doing them cold.

What arbitrary number.
well it is an arbitary number but guy can "maybe" do 7 pull ups to failure so it's probably pretty retarded for him to start training for muscle ups and trick pull ups. 20 is a good number.

well it is an arbitary number but guy can "maybe" do 7 pull ups to failure so it's probably pretty retarded for him to start training for muscle ups and trick pull ups. 20 is a good number.

You do understand the muscle up is a skill in itself, right ? as are are all of the other various "tricks". Getting a better at pullups will help but its only supplemental if the goal is something else.

TL;DR Do both, start practicing the muscleup and get better at pullups.

You do understand the muscle up is a skill in itself, right ? as are are all of the other various "tricks". Getting a better at pullups will help but its only supplemental if the goal is something else.

TL;DR Do both, start practicing the muscleup and get better at pullups.
ok fine, have him enjoy snap city. I heard it's nice this time of year.

Do you guys generally see an issue with doing pull ups without warmup? I see the idea of doing a few push ups every time you walk under a bar in your house. But this imply doing them cold.
Warm up somewhat with any exercise; we're a long way from good science suggesting otherwise, anything else is a risk.

Edit - I was drunk when I replied to this, not really sure where I was coming from. A few pullups everytime you walk under the bar in a Pavel, grease-the-groove style approach is all good, and a great way to increase your numbers in a short period of time. Yes it's good practice to always warm up before exercise but if you can comfortably do them, bodyweight pullups are a pretty safe, natural movement IMHO.

Last edited:
Weak muscles?
I have no idea what your talking about.
My mind can't comprehend this topic.

Probably because all my muscles are incredibly strong.

Why?

Why?

If you want to get good at muscle ups, you should probably just start practicing muscle ups ASAP.
Well I see kids at the gym relying too much on the stretch-reflex kipping motion because they lack strength to do a proper muscle up. Just seems like a good way to get injuried.

There is no way I could do 20 pull-ups when I got my first muscle-up.

Hell, my fat ass can still string together a few muscle-ups while I can probably still just do 10 pull-ups.

Usually kick out 30-40 pull ups during workout 3 days a week. Can't do a muscle up. Can throw self over bar with bendy elbows, then push body higher but it looks like a fatty trying to get back in a boat.

You're weak. No offense but you're weak and it's a stupid question. Don't mean that in a douche way, but if you can only do 7 BW pull ups in a row there's your first problem.

Focusing on some minutia is the wrong approach. You just need to put the work in and literally just do pull ups until you can at least do 10-15-20+ in a row with pretty good form. Doing leg raises and movement trick type shit progressively will help get to the goal of...doing trick shit I'd imagine as well.

Getting stronger overall by doing deadlift/bench/squat, anything, will help too especially if you aren't adding tons of weight in a bulk. I mean I ain't some barstar retard, but I can do russian tick tocks/wipers, planche on a bar, I can do pull ups with 100-150lbs added. So idk, I guess I'm qualified in some way?

But, fuck this isn't even a short answer. The answer is obvious - Do more pull ups until you get better. Doing 7 BW in a row isn't good. At your weight of ~155 it's especially not good (not horrible either for the record). You're weak at what you specifically want to do and you should just improve until you can bang up ~20 in a row.

you sound strong but you don’t need to bully someone who’s not as strong as you online.

Such talk can hurt other people’s self esteem.

you sound strong but you don’t need to bully someone who’s not as strong as you online.

Such talk can hurt other people’s self esteem.

ok. If that's your takeaway then perhaps read my post again. What's your advice then? 7 pullups is great, start "tricking"? It's not. The truth is more important than potentially hurting someone's feelings over a question they asked advice on. Everything doesn't need to be so pussified in the world, jesus.

This is a such a weird thread

I am doing 5/3/1 and I work 10 sets of 6 pull ups into 3 of my 4 workout days (I do rows on bench day). If I maxed out I could maybe go for 15 but I am just trying to get more volume in rather than intensity so as not to tire me out for the rest of my workout.

Back