How would prime GSP, Jones and Silva do in their respective divisions today?

You don't think Josh Koscheck had a similar skillset to Kamaru Usman? Or Jon Fitch didn't have a similar game to Colby? Jake Shields he was garbage right? How about Carlos Condit, don't think he would have a shot against Leon? Hell maybe you are right... Nick Diaz I bet sucked too... The Johnny that GSP scrapes by hit WAY harder than Kamaru and had better wrestling...
Josh Koscheck is a solid fighter bro but let’s be real he is a fighter with a skillset and ability that would not have him at top 10 ww today in his prime. There really isn’t anything I can think of Koscheck does better than Usman. Koscheck can’t even be compared to fighters like Woodley much less Usman. The game evolved and WW is one of the most evident divisions

Jones and GSP would do the same or better.

Anderson may have some issues with the extreme wrestling talent on the scene today--but had he came up during this time, I imagine his training focus would reflect the times and he'd still be GOAT.

GSP simply had no well rounded competition and he was well rounded. The level of comp GSP faced is not remotely close to the fighters you just named and you have no evidence of GSP beating or dominating anything like a Colby or Usman to base this claim. BJ who was undersized was the closest thing

Hughes, Penn, Condit, Diaz, and Horse-Meat-Hendricks are all as elite of competition as anybody fighting today.

Prime GSP got piss-poynded by Jognny Hendricks.

Quit at 32 for a reason fellas

GSP wrecks any WW in mma history. And for the foreseeable future. Well, 50-45 anyway.

The other two.. ASTERISKS.

So I don’t give a fuck.

Except for mythical pre USADA Hendricks...who had already lost to Rick Story, SDs with Kos and Pierce, MD with TJ Grant; and subsequent losses to Gastelum, WB, and Magny.

That guy (and usada) sent GSP into retirement at 32

Shields and Hendricks his 2 best wins...one 3-2, the other a robbery.

Would they be champion? How many title defenses would they be able to get? Do you see any of the top fighters in the division giving them trouble or beating them?

CCOLA.jpg

01_crop_north.jpg
GSP and Jones would run through everyone; I would love to see Silva vs Whittaker (not to mention Silva vs Du Plessis, which would be a masterclass, a la the Griffin and Bonnar (RIP) fights).

Prime Usman > Prime GSP, but I think GSP destroys Edwards

Jones obviously dominates LHW.

Izzy vs Silva would be the most exciting match. I think Izzy is a bit past his prime, so Silva in his prime would probably take it.

Hughes, Penn, Condit, Diaz, and Horse-Meat-Hendricks are all as elite of competition as anybody fighting today.
Hughes is one dimensional and would do nothing this era against the dudes he couldn’t take down which is most of the top 10. Penn was undersized and absolutely would pose little threat in his prime to the current much deeper WW picture. Diaz is a solid fighter for any era of fighting but also top of the heap in none. Hendricks is your only reasonable answer and his cardio is highly suspect ESPECIALLY against Kamaru or Colby

GSP would probably be champion.

Silva would be stuck in Robert Whitaker land. The permanently best #2 MW in the world that can't beat the champ. Speaking of Whitaker, god that would have been a fight I would have loved to have seen. Prime Whitaker against Prime Silva?

Jon Jones would be champion. The division's somewhat gotten even worse in recent years.

In order: Jones>Gsp>Silva

Jones destroy everyone with ease. His era was way better
Gsp stuggles against Usman, Colby and Edwards
I don't see Silva beating Perreira, Dricus and Izzy.

Would they be champion? How many title defenses would they be able to get? Do you see any of the top fighters in the division giving them trouble or beating them?

CCOLA.jpg

01_crop_north.jpg

all three would be champions ...

With Silva vs Izzy being the most competitive fight..

GSP destroys Leon ..

Jones beats all the latest LHw champs... Glover,Jiri, Hill ETC ..

Anyone saying otherwise is lost .. these 3 represented the very best we've seen so far...

Last edited:
I know people on here love to talk about "the new breed" or how MMA is so much more evolved now, but I honestly believe all 3 would be champ. GSP & Jones for sure, Anderson & Izzy can have a close, competitive fight, I would still slightly favour Anderson

I think prime Anderson and Jones would have an easier time than GSP in the current top 15 of their respective divisions. No reason to think Anderson couldn’t beat anyone Adesanya beat. Welterweight has a lot of new guys I haven’t seen enough of (Chimaev, Rakhmonov) so it’s hard to say but I think it would be the toughest hill to climb and defend. Not saying GSP couldn’t beat all of them but there would be some tough fights for him. It seems to me today’s LHW and WW are bigger than back then but I could be imagining things.

Last edited:
You don't think Josh Koscheck had a similar skillset to Kamaru Usman? Or Jon Fitch didn't have a similar game to Colby? Jake Shields he was garbage right? How about Carlos Condit, don't think he would have a shot against Leon? Hell maybe you are right... Nick Diaz I bet sucked too... The Johnny that GSP scrapes by hit WAY harder than Kamaru and had better wrestling...

Kos is absolutely nothing like Marty and Colby and Fitch fought the same Maia

The version of Johnny that GSP fought had already been outwrestled by Rick Story, Charlie Brenneman, and Kos.

Look at their FIGHTS, not their ncaa resumes. Kamaru went further in freestyle anyway

Back