(Hypothetical) Jones vs Iron Mike at HW?

How would that one go? Is Jones bulking to try a boxing run after he finishes his UFC contract?

Jones obviously has huge reach on Tyson but doesn’t have the power that Tyson does surely.

was just sitting here thinking and man I’d pay to see that one. I know Mike is old but Jon just doesn’t have threatening KO power.

What does sherdog think?

Does this happen in 2022?
Iron Mike wins all day long
99ff470a7bf45fe99213e0dfee5f66c4bc8f6e5d_00.gif

in anything MMA like kick boxing Tyson would be throttled by jones. Just your basic Leg kicks hurt like a son a bitch to some one who has never felt them, even in his prime.

Prime Tyson is an animal, but today in a boxing match, imo jones would win, Tyson is slow and does not have a gas tank. If he does not knock out jones in 2, jon would win via having an actual gas tank and the reach would make a gassed out Tyson a sitting target.

Would you have thought Anderson Silva would light Chavez jr up like he did? Not being facetious and no wrong answers. Just making conversation.

I don’t doubt MMA guys can hang, I think Silva was a small exception, but 96% of times I’d pick a pure boxer to win these boxing matches vs mma guys.

Jones vs Tyson has me intrigued. I also think Tyson would light him up, but Jones has range and honestly pretty good fight IQ. I’d like to see the contest.
Terrible analogy.

1. Anderson is naturally larger than Chavez, whose professional debut was at 130 pounds and fought most of his career at 154/160 pounds. Whereas Tyson is a true HW, even if he's on the smaller side.
2. Chavez is notoriously lazy and showed up out of shape. Say what you want about Tyson, but he's definitely not showing up out of shape.
3. Anderson has always been one of the best boxers in mma. Whereas the biggest hole in Jones's arsenal is boxing; not that his hands are terrible, per se, but they've never been good.

Jones is the fighter boxing makes the least sense for. Boxing is his worst martial art and while he's been underpaid this is relative to his status in the sport. I don't think he's in the position where he'll embarass himself for 6 figures the way many elite fighters are.

If he did this he'd just be making all his haters dreams come true.

Who are the elite fights embarrassing themselves? Woodley? Askren? Or that recent Triller card with Frank Mir, Matt Mitrione and Mike Perry?

They may have once been elite but at this point they are washed up and looking for a payday.

I agree, I think Jones has enough money stashed where he wouldn't risk his ego getting beaten by a boxer in a pure boxing match.

Who are the elite fights embarrassing themselves? Woodley? Askren? Or that recent Triller card with Frank Mir, Matt Mitrione and Mike Perry?

They may have once been elite but at this point they are washed up and looking for a payday.

I agree, I think Jones has enough money stashed where he wouldn't risk his ego getting beaten by a boxer in a pure boxing match.

I didn't say many fighters were embarassing themselves but that many are in the financial position where it'd be worth it if they were out of their contract.

I didn't say many fighters were embarassing themselves but that many are in the financial position where it'd be worth it if they were out of their contract.

I wanted to know who the elite fighters were who are embarrassing themselves...

Jones beats Chandler in MMA, Boxing, Wrestling, Grappling or Kick Boxing....

As for jones vs Mike Tyson? Jones wins in MMA, Wrestling, Grappling, Street Fighting, Muay Thai and Kick Boxing....Gets murdered in Boxing.

Back