when should a loss raise a fighter’s stock?

I feel like Rockhold vs Costa is a recent example. Rockhold was on his hilarious streak of getting KOed and everyone just expected that to continue. But dude managed to survive a war while gassed at altitude. And the fuck you punch he landed was an all time great moment.

Last edited:
I feel like Rockhold vs Costa is a recent example. Rockhold was on his hilarious streak of getting KOed and everyone just expected that to continue. But dude managed to survive a war while gassed at altitude. And the fuck you punch he landed was an all time great moment.
see, i think that’s great, but it still was basically a sour note to end his career. i think most people will remember lukes earlier performances when thinking of his highlights, especially his wins over machida and then weidman.

korean zombie vs leonard garcia 1 was a good one for kz. iirc, that’s when people started calling him korean zombie. everyone thought he won. after that, he was always popular. idk if he was the underdog (he probably was), but that certainly raised his stock.

Not sure if mentioned but something like Chael sonnen Anderson Silva 1
Chael sonnen put a beat down on the MW king who was seemingly invincible and was minutes away from winning
Great choice, agreed. That fight did wonders for Sonnen, he got so popular after that and everyone knew who he was and he was by far Andersons hardest fight in UFC up until that point. Before that fight Sonnen was in the prelims every fight and no one cared.

Plus everyone wanted the rematch, its all that was talked about at the time.

Great choice, agreed. That fight did wonders for Sonnen, he got so popular after that and everyone knew who he was and he was by far Andersons hardest fight in UFC up until that point. Before that fight Sonnen was in the prelims every fight and no one cared.

Plus everyone wanted the rematch, its all that was talked about at the time.
Yeah no on expected that. Was so crazy
Silva's stock rose too imo despite looking vulnerable
Overcoming adversity like that to pull off a win was incredible

Yeah no on expected that. Was so crazy
Silva's stock rose too imo despite looking vulnerable
Overcoming adversity like that to pull off a win was incredible
It was incredible, UFC was so good at that time, so much better than todays stuff. I couldn't believe what I was watching when Sonnen was winning the striking, he stunned Anderson multiple times on the feet before the takedowns!! I was in shock.

I really thought Sonnen was gonna win like a 50-43 decision, the fight was totally one sided, and then next thing I know Sonnen is tapping lol, wild crazy fight!. Great memories

Crazy two pages and not one mention of Deigo Lopes. Dude came in last minute took and top 8 ranked undefeated Movsar Evloev to his absolute limit almost submitting him. Guy went from basically unknown gym owner to must see fighter almost instantly.

Hold on here, we got a contrarian badass in the house
It doesnt mean shit. Think about it. It might mean something in that singular moment, but there are too many other factors in ones career that decide if that was a 'oh wow' moment or not. At the end of the day you win or lose. there are no moral victories. Chuck Wepner got a 'moral victory' against Ali, shit turned into rocky. Ya know what it got him? Shit out of his own life story as a movie (he never got paid on stallone making a career off his moment), and he never fought another meaningful fight again and sold beer and wine the rest of his life. All he really got out of it was 'hey, I once went to the bell with Ali' If Rocky is never made nobody would ever know his name. Moral victories dont count for much 99.9 % of the time. Thats not to say that there hasnt been moments were it counted for something, or was a preview of greatness - but those are the exception not the rule

That's an easy answer: When you do better than expected.

Notice that the problem reads "when SHOULD" and not "when DOES".

Kinda like how Gus, Reyes, and Santos are known for having close, competitive fights with Jones. Or how Chael dominated 5 rounds against Silva only to get taken to T-City at the end.

Someone who is fighting on extremely short notice and puts up a good fight is always impressive

Exactly - recent examples :
Diego Lopes vs Evloev and Bassil Hafez vs JDM. Lopes already proven that he is legit, now is time for Hafez.

It doesnt mean shit. Think about it. It might mean something in that singular moment, but there are too many other factors in ones career that decide if that was a 'oh wow' moment or not. At the end of the day you win or lose. there are no moral victories. Chuck Wepner got a 'moral victory' against Ali, shit turned into rocky. Ya know what it got him? Shit out of his own life story as a movie (he never got paid on stallone making a career off his moment), and he never fought another meaningful fight again and sold beer and wine the rest of his life. All he really got out of it was 'hey, I once went to the bell with Ali' If Rocky is never made nobody would ever know his name. Moral victories dont count for much 99.9 % of the time. Thats not to say that there hasnt been moments were it counted for something, or was a preview of greatness - but those are the exception not the rule

Jesus. 'Stock going up' doesn't mean 'Go on to be the best ever.' Hen you go on to bring up Muhammad Ali and a Rocky movie as counter arguments? Plenty of fighters received additional fights in the ufc, contracts from finale fights, and short tracks to title shots after a loss. Ed Herman, the guy with green hair, and Brock Lesnar to name a few.

Jesus. 'Stock going up' doesn't mean 'Go on to be the best ever.' Hen you go on to bring up Muhammad Ali and a Rocky movie as counter arguments? Plenty of fighters received additional fights in the ufc, contracts from finale fights, and short tracks to title shots after a loss. Ed Herman, the guy with green hair, and Brock Lesnar to name a few.

Jesus. Putting quotations around something I didnt say in my posts makes you look like a fucking moron.

Diego Lopes took his debut on short-notice against ranked Evloev and his stock soared after that fight

He turned out to be ok in the UFC too dismantling everyone else since

Aside from what’s been mentioned:

Gilbert Burns v Khamzat. Up against a bigger undefeated monster and huge betting favourite. This is self explanatory, Gilbert burns stock rose hugely from this one.

Gastelum v Izzy. Probably Gastelums most memorable performance for most and a performance that allowed him to be perceived as a top MW for a lot longer than his results would suggest.

Colby Covington’s whole careers stock is anlmost entirely based off of two close fights with usman.

Petr Yan v Aljo 1 technically ..

Back