Hypothetical Oleg Taktarov vs Hidehiko Yoshida in 2004

savemgs

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
7wqsxc.jpg

Hypothetical Matchup:
In this intriguing showdown, Oleg Taktarov, known for his versatile grappling skills and submission expertise, goes head-to-head with Hidehiko Yoshida, an Olympic gold medalist in Judo with a strong ground game.
How do you guys see it playing out?

Oleg Taktarov

Nationality: Russian
Height: 6'1" (185 cm)
Weight: 225 lbs (102 kg)
Fighting Style: Sambo, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Record: 15 wins, 5 losses, 2 draws
Notable Wins: Mark Kerr, Tank Abbott
Notable Achievements: UFC 6 Tournament Champion

Hidehiko Yoshida

Nationality: Japanese
Height: 5'11" (180 cm)
Weight: 225 lbs (102 kg)
Fighting Style: Judo
Record: 4 wins, 1 losses, 1 draw
Notable Wins: Don Frye, Kiyoshi Tamura

Notable Achievements: Olympic gold medalist in Judo

That's super hard to call. They have legitimately similar styles, not much variation in the qualities that make up their respective skill sets. I guess, maybe, Oleg is the better striker and Yoshida is the better grappler, but that's all relative. Neither really holds a massive advantage over the other.

That's a nice what if matchup. Very hard to call. I'd guess that, in 2004, I'd take Yoshida. He was only a few years younger, but Oleg hadn't fought for some time by 2004 and was pretty battle worn. Yoshida had already defeated Don Frye in his first fucking fight, no prior fight experience, Satake, fucking Kiyoshi Tamura, who is about as tall a task for a novice as they come (underrated fighter of the Sakuraba cut, imo), went to a decision with prime "decapitate every last soul who breathes" Wanderlei Silva, and had a draw in the "rematch" with Gracie. Yoshida might have had something had he not taken the Randy Couture path to fighting.

Probably Oleg.

Pride was known for yellow cards to pressure fighters to engage opponents to which they were disadvantaged. In this case, Oleg is the better boxer and because he knows enough Sambo to not get thrown off the bat or swept, I say him.

Not to mention, Oleg was just tough.
Yoshida would have won if it goes past the first round perhaps, as Oleg’s gas sucked.

The question is, who will use Yoshida's gi to their advantage? I think Oleg.

Taktarov didn't fight Kerr until 2008 and I wouldn't call that version of "The Smashing Machine" at all notable.
However, Beating UFC 7 Champ Marco Ruas was certainly an Ultimate Ultimate moment!
You could add Mark Hunt to Yoshida's "notable" list as well.

It's just Judo with more of a focus on leg locks for the most part. I'd favor oleg to get a sneaky sub but yoshida is hard to submit. It could very well be a stalemate.

Yoshida via toughness.
Extremely durable, unbreakable will. That'd be the difference in a closely matched bout.
Maybe Yoshi could pull off a cool Gi choke.

I think Yoshi had more grappling skill and Oleg was tougher.

Gonna give a slight edge to Oleg in the stand up.

It's pretty close and one of the more interesting hypothetical bouts to come around in a minute.

That's super hard to call. They have legitimately similar styles, not much variation in the qualities that make up their respective skill sets. I guess, maybe, Oleg is the better striker and Yoshida is the better grappler, but that's all relative. Neither really holds a massive advantage over the other.

That's a nice what if matchup. Very hard to call. I'd guess that, in 2004, I'd take Yoshida. He was only a few years younger, but Oleg hadn't fought for some time by 2004 and was pretty battle worn. Yoshida had already defeated Don Frye in his first fucking fight, no prior fight experience, Satake, fucking Kiyoshi Tamura, who is about as tall a task for a novice as they come (underrated fighter of the Sakuraba cut, imo), went to a decision with prime "decapitate every last soul who breathes" Wanderlei Silva, and had a draw in the "rematch" with Gracie. Yoshida might have had something had he not taken the Randy Couture path to fighting.
Thanks for the reply man. I've been trying to keep my posts pretty good quality with interesting fights. But yeah this would be a nightmare to make odds for.

The question is, who will use Yoshida's gi to their advantage? I think Oleg.
You know the funny thing is I didn't even consider this a factor. But you're definitely right when it comes to the gi...

Yoshida via toughness.
Extremely durable, unbreakable will. That'd be the difference in a closely matched bout.
Maybe Yoshi could pull off a cool Gi choke.
Oh dude I don't know about that. Yoshida was most definitely one tough son of a bitch but Taktarov might have been his equal.

I think Yoshi had more grappling skill and Oleg was tougher.

Gonna give a slight edge to Oleg in the stand up.

It's pretty close and one of the more interesting hypothetical bouts to come around in a minute.
Thanks for the response. I try my best whenever I'm doing hypotheticals. I think I have a decent track record.

I’ll take Yoshida based on how competitive he was twice against a prime Wanderlei Silva. Silva was a monster, and clearly a generation after anyone Oleg beat in their prime. Yoshida was another level in his game (win over a green Hunt still crazy impressive, also beat Tamura and Ishii).

Last edited:
You know the funny thing is I didn't even consider this a factor. But you're definitely right when it comes to the gi...

I remember Yoshida using his gi to successfully submit with chokes, so I don't know why I picked Oleg, but I remembered how Sakuraba handled Royce with his gi.

Last edited:
It didn't deserve this fate. Heavies-worthy thread in our hearts, bud.
yeah it's kind of odd here they pick and choose to move the threads for example my Frank Shamrock vs lawer one was never touched. It's a shame because almost nobody looks at this part of the form.

Back