I don't blame guys for waiting for title shots

Swing the Axe

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Since Diaz vs. GSP is going to happen there's more of the debate about should fighters sit out and wait for a title shot (Hendricks). I heard a good example yesterday on Junkie Radio about how injuries, etc. can send careers in different dircetions. Consider Josh Grispi. When the WEC was acquired by the UFC, he was coming off a 4 fight win streak in the WEC, having just beaten Pulver, and winning his last 10 straight fights overall. He came into the UFC as the #1 contender, and had a title fight lined up with Aldo, but Aldo withdrew due to injury. Rather than wait he fought and lost to Poirer by decision. He then was sidelined with injury, came back, lost to Roop and then Yahya, and now is fighting Andy Ogle on the UFC on Fuel 7 prelims, and in a decision that is loaded with new contenders.

Now I agree with the sentiment that if you are the best, you should be able to beat anybody and not have to worry about losing you #1 contender spot, but just as well, anybody can get caught, and there's a big difference in the payday when you fight someone like GSP vs any other WW. So, while I don't like it, I understand why when put in that situation Condit, Rashad, Hendricks or anyone else would want to wait for the champ. Just thought it was an interesting example.

Look how long it took for Rashad to get a title shot because he waited.

Karo Parisyan was also supposed to fight Hughes for the belt, and got further and further away as more deserving contenders emerged.

Hendo is another fair example.

Now, in terms of the title, he's being leap frogged by the Shogun Gus winner.

I can't recall too many cases where the notion of "I'm not fighting unless it's for a belt" has played dividends.

i get your point but it is their job to fight. i can't call in to work and be like naw im not coming into work until i get a raise and just sit out

Since Diaz vs. GSP is going to happen there's more of the debate about should fighters sit out and wait for a title shot (Hendricks). I heard a good example yesterday on Junkie Radio about how injuries, etc. can send careers in different dircetions. Consider Josh Grispi. When the WEC was acquired by the UFC, he was coming off a 4 fight win streak in the WEC, having just beaten Pulver, and winning his last 10 straight fights overall. He came into the UFC as the #1 contender, and had a title fight lined up with Aldo, but Aldo withdrew due to injury. Rather than wait he fought and lost to Poirer by decision. He then was sidelined with injury, came back, lost to Roop and then Yahya, and now is fighting Andy Ogle on the UFC on Fuel 7 prelims, and in a decision that is loaded with new contenders.

Now I agree with the sentiment that if you are the best, you should be able to beat anybody and not have to worry about losing you #1 contender spot, but just as well, anybody can get caught, and there's a big difference in the payday when you fight someone like GSP vs any other WW. So, while I don't like it, I understand why when put in that situation Condit, Rashad, Hendricks or anyone else would want to wait for the champ. Just thought it was an interesting example.
lol @ rogan quote

i get your point but it is their job to fight. i can't call in to work and be like naw im not coming into work until i get a raise and just sit out

Well those are two different situations because you would probably get fired.

Well those are two different situations because you would probably get fired.

i get that i'm just saying fighters shouldn't be able to sit out for like a year because they want to wait for a fight

Look how long it took for Rashad to get a title shot because he waited.

Karo Parisyan was also supposed to fight Hughes for the belt, and got further and further away as more deserving contenders emerged.

Hendo is another fair example.

Now, in terms of the title, he's being leap frogged by the Shogun Gus winner.

I can't recall too many cases where the notion of "I'm not fighting unless it's for a belt" has played dividends.

True, but I'm just saying I can't blame a guy for doing it. Supopse Condit took a fight and lost. That would be alot of coin and exposure he didn't get from the GSP fight. Like I said, I don't necessarily like it, but I get the reasons behind it.

True, but I'm just saying I can't blame a guy for doing it. Supopse Condit took a fight and lost. That would be alot of coin and exposure he didn't get from the GSP fight. Like I said, I don't necessarily like it, but I get the reasons behind it.

The problem is twofold in the UFC. First, there's no guarantee that Hendricks is next in line after the GSP / Diaz fight. Say GSP decides to finally fight Silva at 170 or 175 or whatever. Then Hendricks is going to be waiting for at least another year (after the Diaz / GSP fight) six months to wait for the Silva fight and then another six months.

And lets say Johny gets injured in training? Then what?

Or maybe Dana changes his mind. I mean, it happens about 19 times per day. I remember when Hendo was promised a title shot after UFC 100. And I remember when the most impressive win from Rua/Vera and Machida/Bader was promised a title shot. I could go on and on about things Dana has said (like Johny will get his shot via twitter) that never happened. Look, two years ago, Dana said the UFC would never have a women's division. Um, sure Uncle Dana.

It's a bad business move to sit on your ass for a year or more to prove a point. Especially in the prime of your career.

Sure, Johny deserves the shot, but the UFC has never been, and will never be a meritocracy. It follows the WWE PPV model - which is fine. If the UFC is a business. And then MMA is not a sport. But merely entertainment without the pre-determined outcomes.

But I can tell you that all the major sports that Dana said the UFC would be surpassing actually have teams or players EARN their title shots. With their athletic abilities and not their mouths.

Why not just give Johny an easy fight while he waits?

there are examples like Pettis (take the fight & lose) and examples like Rashad (don't take a fight & don't get a title shot).

rest assured, Hendricks knew both the variables and the stakes when he played his gambit. he can always change his mind.

I don't blame them but I'll never respect them the same as fighters who have an anyone, anytime mentality.
Chuck comes to mind.

Back