I hope WME isn’t phasing out the wrestlers

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I notice a lot more fights are standing nowadays.

i am hoping that fighters just have better TDD and guys are anticipating the takedown more.

I know Jake Rosholt was cut because he’s a Boring wrestler and he’s quite good.

When Dana was complaining about a guy going for a takedown with 15 seconds left it left a bad taste in my mouth.

A huge part of MMA is the ground game. I don’t want to see this turned into ultimate boxing.

I want Adesanya to be champion because no one can physically out wrestle him, not because wrestlers aren’t there.

I will stop watching if grappling is phased out.

I dont think WME are phasing out wrestlers but I notice that Bellator is grabbing a hold of all of the wrestling prospects that come out college

I’m sure there will always be some biased against wrestling and BJJ fighters due to casuals not understanding it but I doubt they will actively try to remove them.

that being said as a former wrestler and current BJJ practitioner I’ll fully admit it’s not exactly spectator friendly.

Wrestling to finish a fight is entertaining.. wrestling to secure a round or wrestling to win via dominate position is fucking terrible.
This.

The UFC doesn't have a problem with wrestlers. They have a problem with guys stalling and just holding onto the same position looking for the clock to run out.

Fans don't want to see that shit either so I don't have a problem with those guys getting cut.

I think defensive wrestling is improving but wme is also aggressively trying to,... Maybe balance things out? Think of it like affirmative action. Personally i think strikers are inherently inferior to wrestlers, unless they're like edwards, jorge etc, who learnt how to wrestle. I think they sort of think so as well and want to prevent more khabibs from taking over. I hate it. It's bullshit. But that's probably what's happening tbh.

i am hoping that fighters just have better TDD and guys are anticipating the takedown more.

When Dana was complaining about a guy going for a takedown with 15 seconds left it left a bad taste in my mouth.

A huge part of MMA is the ground game. I don’t want to see this turned into ultimate boxing.

I want Adesanya to be champion because no one can physically out wrestle him, not because wrestlers aren’t there.

that's because fighters are getting better at preventing the crotch sniffers from taking them down. nobody wants to see 2 guys lay on each other the entire fight either. now, if they're going for the kill or to tap the other guy, then it's fine...but to just lay there, and rest, shouldn't be allowed.

I was just watching Rashad v bisping and herb dean stood them up after like 5 seconds on the ground. The ufc has definitely let wrestling play out unlike they used to do, always standing up fighters. Which was stupid Khabib probably couldn’t have been champ back then with the refs standing them up every time they go to the ground.

As long as there's a cage there'll be wrestling, it's too big of an advantage and it pretty much forces fighters to wrestle.

What are they not supposed to change levels and go for the legs? It's instinctual.

I wouldn't say they're phasing out wrestlers in general, but they're definitely trying to get rid of every fighter that's broadly considered boring. Remember Elias Theodorou? They waited for the moment he finally lost a fight to cut him even though he had a positive UFC record and had just fallen out the rankings. Now also mind what they did to Leon Edwards, threatening a guy to be thrown out of the rankings if he doesn't fight some current hype train even though Edwards was the first name deserving to be mentioned for a title shot after Usman vs Burns is done. So you're definitely not wrong observing a trend where entertainment criteria are starting to bury the sport as a competition.

The biggest fighter in the world is a wrestler/grappler (Khabib)

Aa long as you are exciting, it works

We will miss you son......Now beat it!

Usman is a wrestler. Khabib was too. DC until recently, and triple C. All champs or championship material.

wrestlers aren’t being phased out they are being baptized like Askren

jake rosholt left long before wme came along. ufc not killing wrestling or grapplers.

What in the world are you talking about? Everything about the UFC favors wrestlers: the cage, prohibiting knees to a grounded opponent, the scoring system, etc. And Jake Rosh is your shining example? I feel like I'm having a flashback to 2009.

Back