I suspect Guram took the last loss way too hard - why this time off?

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's weird how he's done well in his fights but the results just don't show it.

He clearly beat Ismagulov who looked uncomfortable in there with Guram, I have no idea how those Texas judges saw it differently. Robbed.

Then in his last fight he was again the faster, more active guy and was up two rounds. Brener had to hunt a finish in the last round and was able to get it, props to him.
I mean, it's a fight and it can happen. At Guram's age I'm not sure if it's the smart thing to do taking this much time off for fine-tuning. He has showed that he's a good fighter
and just been having a bit of a bad luck.

The thing is, more activity could probably help with being able to do enough next time. But it looks like it will be one fight per year again, as I haven't heard any rumors at all.
I feel like he's probably really hard on himself for not wrapping up those likely wins, specially the last one. Should he just trust his ability and book fights, more focus on the positive?

It's kinda interesting how he and Gamrot have projected so differently since their UFC debut against each other. I'd have thought that Guram wouldl've been on the A side among those 2 by now, but that just hasn't been the case.

Yeah it's so unfortunate how his career has gone, he got robbed against Ismagulov and both guys looked like title contenders against each other displaying so much technique in both the grappling and striking

Not sure what the deal with the Brener loss was - is Brener just that elite, did Guram get washed after the robbery, did he have too many injuries? Tough to tell

I dunno. If a fighter feels like they need time off, I'm not going to fault it. He clearly feels like something isn't connecting.

why this time off?

Really strange post. Gooram is one of the most egregious pullout merchants in the UFC. Over the past 4 years, he has pulled out of 5 fights and only fought 3 times. He has always been extremely inactive.

Screenshot-20240402-175748.png

Not exactly like he was active before the loss.

I think he just doesn't see fighting as a career. He likes it and thinks it's fun but never had any real aspirations towards the title or being the best in the world.

Just one of those guys who never fights. It's fortunate he hasn't won and wasted that time.

He's got the look, so he should just add Magamedov to the end of his name and try to leech some dubai bucks off the sheikhs like Khamzat is doing.

Guram and Damir are overrated as strikers imo. They remind me of Rashid Magomedov where their fundamentals and volume is amazing but they can still be outstruck and out fought….. people seem to have a weird way of translating how pretty a style is to how effective it is. Raoni Barcaleos is the same way where when he’s flowing it’s beautiful but he also just gets flat out beat often.

Guram was certainly up in his war with Brener but outside of how pretty his offence looked he ate a ton of offence in return. It’s not like Brener came alive in the 3rd it was an absolute war and Guram just couldn’t keep up where Brener could but Guram had defensive holes all fight long.

Regardless I do look forward to Guram’s next fight and I probably sound like I’m hating but I just find it odd how highly rated he is.

Guy is skilled and his fights are a treat, but he's also injured constantly and his pullouts reflect that. I'm not surprised he's taking the time off, as he took a beating from Brenner and it doesn't seem like his body is holding up cutting to LW.

Really strange post. Gooram is one of the most egregious pullout merchants in the UFC. Over the past 4 years, he has pulled out of 5 fights and only fought 3 times. He has always been extremely inactive.

This. He was fighting once a year even before the loss. He is finished.

I also have my doubts we'll see him again, he was super inactive and visibly gave up against Brenner when the Brazilian refused to go away.

This. He was fighting once a year even before the loss. He is finished.
Hey, you guys clearly missed the part where I said "But it looks like it will be one fight per year again", implying the previous inactivity.

I'm aware of his Visa issues and injuries, it's just that this time there's none of that. Just him dragging it out it seems.

Back